Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2001 2:09:38 PM EDT
I thought this was kinda appropriate with the recent FFL/Gunshop threads.

I just called a local gunstore to see about having some gunsmithing done and got a telephone answering message that they are shutting down.
They are Robinson's Gun & Tackle in Southampton, PA.

I haven't been going there very long but the short time I did I was always happy doing business there.

They didn't always have what I wanted and I have to admit there are other gunshops in the area that I am on equally good terms with that I have done business with but I am still sorry to be seeing them close down.

They had one of the best all around gunsmithing setups around. Somewhere you could get anything fixed. I hear they will be setting up at another location just to do gunsmithing so I am at least a little releived.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 2:21:24 PM EDT
[#1]
See?  You can't get a business to thrive on 10% profit margin, as SteyrAUG has pointed out.  And when distributors are willing to sell to Joe Blow at the same prices they sell to retailers, the retailers will shortly be out of business.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 3:31:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
See?  You can't get a business to thrive on 10% profit margin, as SteyrAUG has pointed out.  And when distributors are willing to sell to Joe Blow at the same prices they sell to retailers, the retailers will shortly be out of business.
View Quote

Did his thread state they were going out of business  for lack of profit?

The owner could be retiring. They could be moving. It could be that the gun smithing portion of the business brings in a higher % of profit than the actual sales. Maybe the owner just likes smithing better.

You can't say "See" and attribute a cause to it when you don't know the real reason the business is closing.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 6:00:30 AM EDT
[#3]
When I stop by for the going out of business sale I'll certainly ask them.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 6:42:02 AM EDT
[#4]
They said that they were moving "up the road, maybe down the road" but will open again for gunsmithing.  I thought they were high for an FFL transfer charging $50 for a Socom receiver.  Just my $.02.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:35:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most don't. That is what steyr chooses to sell at, undercutting the people who have a store and $100k of inventory.

Around here they sell for anywhere from full retail to 20% off the top.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:46:27 AM EDT
[#6]
See!  You can't get a business to thrive when the regulatory climate is 180 degrees opposed to it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top