Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2007 12:07:27 AM EDT
Dear UN,

Don't call us, the US and UK Navy are busy sorting out your mess in the Gulf…

ANdy

February 26, 2007
UN ship seized by pirates
NAIROBI Pirates have taken control of a UNchartered vessel off the tip of the Horn of Africa.

The move was the first reported hijacking since last year when the interim government, with Ethiopian military help, drove out Islamists who controlled southern Somalia. The pirates, who disappeared last week from Somali waters during a battle for control of the nation on land, were armed with AK47s. They stormed the freighter MV Rozen and its crew of six Kenyans and six Sri Lankans after intercepting it with a speedboat.

“She had just finished unloading in the port of Bosasso,” Andrew Mwangura, the director of the East African Seafarers Assistance Programme, said. “To date, there has been no communication. They have not made any demands at all.”

The ship, which had offloaded 1,800 tonnes of food aid, was empty. (Reuters)

http://timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article1437947.ece
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 12:11:15 AM EDT
[#1]
ARGGGG Me Hardies. It be a fine bit of aid we be taken today. ARGGGG
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 12:31:06 AM EDT
[#2]
i bet if the crew was armed they could have done something, good thing there were no guns around, some kids could get hurt.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 12:33:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Parlay?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 12:33:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Dont large ships keep arms onboard?

I seriously have no idea... never even been on a big ship. Just seems like a reasonable deterent to me
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 12:33:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Clearly, this happened because of the easy availability of firearms. If these pirates hadn't had access to AK47s, they would have been farmers instead.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 12:35:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

They used too… back in the day we used to keep pump action shotties and handguns aboard, but the UN banned it under international treaty.

ANdy
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 12:37:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They used too… back in the day we used to keep pump action shotties and handguns aboard, but the UN banned it under international treaty.

ANdy

So I could theoretically go hijack a ship with some airsoft rifles? That's pretty goddamn scarey!

I wonder if the blue paint on the helmets is lead based?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 12:40:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Apparently they are the Retarded Pirate Robbing Crew. The ship was empty.

Of course, they just might have wanted a ship, but somehow I doubt it.

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 12:58:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ANdy

So I could theoretically go hijack a ship with some airsoft rifles? That's pretty goddamn scarey!

You won't even need an airsoft rifle, probably just like banks, they are instructed to comply, you just say "this is a hi-jacking" and they give it up. I read an article a few months ago, I forget where, that these ships get hi-jacked all the time and these pirates just demand like $30,000, so the companies just wire them the money and they leave. It's just like a business transaction anymore.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 1:00:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I wonder what they're going to do about this... write a resolution to pirates telling them to please stop as they are unarmed?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 1:40:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ANdy

Hey, I have an Airsoft rifle. Does this mean I can get myself a new UN boat?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:37:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I wasn't aware of our having Nairobi membership.

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:44:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Hmmm...

My gut tells me this was an inisde job - wither the crews wa in in it, and they wanted a ship, or the crew's chain of command sold them out for cash.  Either would be standard UN fare.

Several years ago I had an interesting conversation with an idealistc but burned out Ghanaian (Sp?) Army Captain.  The stories he tols me about the corruption he has personally witnessed in UN ops will stick with me until the day I die.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:53:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Parlay?

PLUNDER!!!

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:57:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Hmmm...

Siezing an empty freighter.  No cargo to plunder/sell.

Maybe al Qaeda would turn it into the world's biggest VBIED?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 3:06:02 AM EDT
[#16]
At least it wasn't filled with Belgian APCs this time.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 3:08:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

say again?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 3:22:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 3:47:38 AM EDT
[#19]

I prefer pirate tales of the idiots trying to sneak up on USN or RN vessels or opening fire on them.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 3:51:45 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

say again?

That's what I said.  Found this....

Dude, where's my Pandur?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:01:32 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

say again?

That's what I said.  Found this....

Dude, where's my Pandur?

ANdy
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:18:48 AM EDT
[#22]
first- fuck the uN

2nd- again with this "added information" that they were armed with AK47's.. like it matters ?  adding to the misconseption that only bad people and bad things are associated with the AK.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:22:09 AM EDT
[#23]
So.  How possible is it for these people to take this ship and try and ram a war ship or supply ship with it?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:23:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Arrrrghhh!  Fire on the uproll ye swabs!

Strike your colors you scurvy swabs and prepare to be boarded!
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:23:31 AM EDT
[#25]
They'll just pass a resolution, the Pirates will of course repent and give the ship back and all will be good with the world and they can all sit down and buy each other a coke and sing in harmony.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:58:21 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
So.  How possible is it for these people to take this ship and try and ram a war ship or supply ship with it?

Not really something to worry about unless the Warship is crippled or in port.  Your average cargo hauler makes 12-15kts, 20 at tops.  A DDG-51 class destroyer can go from 30kts forward to 15kts astern in about 30 seconds and good luck trying to get it anywhere near a capital ship.  

Since the USS Cole was attacked western navies have done allot more planning to defend against that kind of attack.  Small craft are still the number one threat because they enter and leave port on their own.  A ship will be required to contact the port authority and pick up a pilot.  If a ship tries to barrel into most harbors their will be plenty of warning for any warships there to get underway. Even an old school steam warship can get underway in minutes if they have their boilers hot.  This day and age no sane skipper goes cold iron in a foreign port.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:03:59 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted: At least it wasn't filled with Belgian APCs this time.
say again?
That's what I said.  Found this.... Dude, where's my Pandur?
ANdy
Oh my, this was the best part of the article...

I suppose it's worth mentioning at this point that 15 Pandur APCs actually represent fully one-quarter of Belgium's total inventory. Or a third of its remaining inventory, take your pick. Meanwhile, It's hard to decide which response to all this has more dark humour value - the UN's, or Belgium's. ...
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:25:16 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I seriously have no idea... never even been on a big ship. Just seems like a reasonable deterent to me

Do the interns get Glocks?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top