Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2007 2:29:20 PM EDT
Anybody ever try the stuff???? I can't stand "normal" processed oatmeal it's got no flavor and has the constancy of baby poo.

However, I've been told that McCann's Irish Oatmeal is not like the normal "American" boxed oatmeal & is actually really good.

Now I just need to find someplace here in town or down in Ft Collins that sells it

www.mccanns.ie/
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:33:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Much better than that cardboard box quaker shit.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Good stuff.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:36:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Haven't tried it, but I've seen it in health food stores and stores that specialize in organic foods. Might want to look there.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:47:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Big secret:

Buy McCanns the first time for the container.  After you have enjoyed the contents, go to your local health food store and buy "steel cut oats" from their bulk bins.  Bring it home and pour it in to the empty McCanns container.

It's the exact same thing but much much cheaper.

I can refill my McCanns container this way for about $1.50.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:52:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I enjoy it. Most supermarkets I've been to have it. Check in the cereal isle or international section.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:57:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Good stuff.  

and the kids love it too.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:01:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Anybody ever try the stuff???? I can't stand "normal" processed oatmeal it's got no flavor and has the constancy of baby poo.

However, I've been told that McCann's Irish Oatmeal is not like the normal "American" boxed oatmeal & is actually really good.

Now I just need to find someplace here in town or down in Ft Collins that sells it

www.mccanns.ie/
Are you talking about instant or regular oatmeal?  I cant stand instant, but regular is great, especially with some honey and jam mixed in.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:07:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:09:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Called around town and nobody in town carries it, but a store about 45 min South of here does.

Looks like it's time for a road trip to Ft Collins tomorrow to pick up some McCann's and to fill up the truck with bio diesel
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:19:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Big secret:

Buy McCanns the first time for the container.  After you have enjoyed the contents, go to your local health food store and buy "steel cut oats" from their bulk bins.  Bring it home and pour it in to the empty McCanns container.

+1 McCanns has a very nice container but steel cut oats are steel cut oats. Not a lot more to them than that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 4:54:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
+1 McCanns has a very nice container but steel cut oats are steel cut oats. Not a lot more to them than that.

What exactly are steel cut oats & how do they compare to rolled oats???
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I eat oatmeal every day for breakfast (helps lower cholesterol) and I like this stuff even better than the mccanns:

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Good stuff.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:13:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Same kind of oats horses eat.

It is chewier than Quaker old fashioned.

IMO tastes better 2.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:20:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What exactly are steel cut oats & how do they compare to rolled oats???

Steel-cut oats
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Steel-cut oats are whole grain groats (the inner portion of the oat kernel) which have been cut into only two or three pieces. They are golden in colour and resemble small rice pieces.

Steel-cut oats are also known as coarse-cut oats, pinhead oats, Scotch oats, or Irish oats.

In comparison, the other main variety, rolled oats, are flake oats that have been steamed, rolled, re-steamed and toasted.

Because the steel-cut oats are more "natural" with less pre-processing, they may be more nutritious than the more popular rolled oats. Steel-cut oats are nuttier, more flavorful, and retain a chewier texture than rolled oats. Like most whole grains, steel-cut oats take much longer to cook than pre-processed oats.

Many people feel that steel-cut oats provide better flavour than rolled oats due to the lack of preprocessing. Usually steel-cut oats are not preprocessed then dried. They are often packaged in a vacuum tight container (like a coffee can) to preserve freshness.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:25:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Great stuff!

I used it to fix the planking on a sailboat a while back and the planking is still on as tight as it was when I glued it on.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:39:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Big secret:

Thx for the info, guys, I am a fan of McCanns and didn't know that.

I have been cooking them in bio-soy milk, which enhances the nutty flavor and is creamier. Doesn't burn like milk because of the consistency.

Try mixing in honey and sprinking 3% oil cinnamon over it. For a somewhat more decadent taste, mix in some butter first.

F
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:41:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Oi!
  But how does it work on the way out?
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:57:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Great stuff!

I used it to fix the planking on a sailboat a while back and the planking is still on as tight as it was when I glued it on.

And I'm eating this stuff
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Great stuff!

Why not? We drink coke and that'll peel the paint of a car.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:47:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Williams-Sonoma used to, but I don't see it in their online catalog anymore.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:15:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Trader Joe carries them if you have one nearby.  The downside is that it takes time to cook.  Don't expect 3 minute Quaker mush.  But it's worth it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:34:09 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Great stuff!

Sticks to your ribs!
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Sticks to your ribs!

Actually, I'm rather hungry a short time after eating oatmeal, it does not stick with ya very long
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top