Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2001 2:53:29 PM EDT
  David Attias, son of "Sopranos" and "Ally McBeal" director Daniel Attias ran down 5 fellow UCSB students walking down a street in the Santa Barbara suburb of Isla Vista CA on Sunday night. 4 of the students died instantly, one is in critical condition with major head and leg injuries. He is now being held by the Santa Barbara County Sheriffs department on one count each of vehicular manslaugher and assault with a deadly weapon, but that is expected to change if it hasnt already.  

After finally wrecking his car the 18 year old Attias jumped out and began assaulting other students with his hands and feet while screaming "I am the Angel of Death".  A crowd of about one hundred gathered to attempt to help the injured and stop Mr. Attias from escaping. Mr Attias fought with numerous students before a Sheriffs deputy arrived and clubbed him to the ground.  This final fight scene was captured on amature video.

Get more info at: [url]http://www.newspress.com/rampage/rampage_home.html[/url]

Another scene of mass carnage brought to you by the government of California who keeps setting up more and more "protection free" zones.

Who wants to give odds that this Attias kid will see less than a year in some country club jail because of his daddy?[:(!]
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#1]
He'll probably get the Robert Downey Jr. treatment. Rehab and a lot of kid gloves.

Hey. He was wacked out on drugs. He didn't mean it. He's not a real criminal. [:(!]
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 3:17:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Lemme guess -

The Sr Attias raised his child properly, teaching him the evils of firearms ownership, thereby ensuring HIS child would never be a menace to society.

Perhaps its the evil in me coming out, but I do kinda enjoy when these arrogant, wiser, more knowledgeable, save-me-from-myself types have their worlds implode, and come to see their own anti-gun self-righteousness as little more than empty rhetoric to get / keep them in front of a camera.
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 3:24:45 PM EDT
[#3]
daddy was too busy "directing". while he`s doin` his 6months, the drug line will continue uninterupted!
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 3:43:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I have to agree.

I think this little spoiled punk will get off with an insanity plee.  [:(!]

Link Posted: 2/26/2001 4:10:06 PM EDT
[#5]
My niece lives a block from the scene of this "accident". She said the perp had threatened to "kill alot of people" before the rampage.
I think he should be charged with premeditated murder of mutiple victims and executed.
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 4:17:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Had this been done with a gun, it would have been all over the front page of every newspaper.  As it is, it was on page 3A of UsaToday because it was with a car.
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 5:19:55 PM EDT
[#8]
You think the families will try and sue BMW ?? Ya me either,  But I bet if he'd shot them, they'd be going after the firearms Co.
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 5:20:37 PM EDT
[#9]
After watching the video, I was amazed none of the guys beating on him could take him down. Cop walks up, two whacks in the leg and the guys down. It's amazing what a little training can do.
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Look at the bright side. One of their own (liberal) and he did`nt use a gun! We need to outlaw Beemers (European assault vehicle),for the children!
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#11]
They originally reported he drove a Saab. Maybe it was a Beemer.
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I predict they will blame it all on alcohol/drugs/whatever.  At some point, someone will use the fact that the victims were also three sheets to the wind as a device to make their deaths partially their own fault.  There have already probably been headlines decrying these "senseless" "tragic" deaths.  The driver will go to Court, where he will either plead guilty and get sentenced to a rehab center, or plead diminished capacity, and get five or ten years.  Next year, when all the hoo-rah has died down, they will parole him, or shorten his sentence, or commute it, or PARDON him, and he'll walk.  Then one of these kids' daddies will catch his a$$ on the street and put him on ice.  Then there will be MORE squawking about "gun violence", the "senselessness of such a tragic death" and all that other baloney.  The kids he maimed and murdered will be long forgotten.  A week later, HE'LL be long forgotten.
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Ban those evil assault cars!!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 8:50:18 PM EDT
[#14]
it happened friday night--i'm a ucsb student, the place is a zoo of media--last week a student was blown up and killed by  a dog robot that was mailed to him.  hope i'm not next...
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 9:31:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Robotic dog? Bizarre...
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 9:42:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Maybe the people in the PRk will push for non-lethal foam bumpers, 10 horsepower motors & Nerf tires. So that they can protect us from the evils of society.

Ed
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 10:01:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Was the car fully automatic, or did he have to shift it one gear at a time? Did it have a muffler(silencer)? Did he buy it on Saturday Night?(Wouldn't that be special?) Was it an import? If so, will Hillary cry out against this mass murder that was commited with a fully automatic, foreign-made, Saturday Night Special that was equipt with a silencer? Damn it there oughta be a law to keep these weapons of mass destruction off the streets!
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 10:52:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Actually, I heard he jumped out and started yelling "ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US" and "SOMEBODY SET US UP THE BOMB." How odd.

radioman
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 11:04:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
After watching the video, I was amazed none of the guys beating on him could take him down. Cop walks up, two whacks in the leg and the guys down. It's amazing what a little training can do.
View Quote

Those guys beating on him were probably incoherent due to the ingestion of alcoholic beverages.

[b]Solution:[/b]

Everyone shall be ordered to carry ASP batons.

Link Posted: 2/27/2001 12:10:49 AM EDT
[#20]
LMAO at NoSheep. [:D]
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 7:47:33 AM EDT
[#21]
sherm8404: Robert Downey Jr, didn’t kill anybody.  He got off rather lightly.

This guy might as well have shoot all of these people with an AK47 or an Uzi.  The effect is still the same, the victims are still very dead. Yep, it is a very good thing that this guy didn't use a gun, other this would have ben front page news, and because here in Kalifornia, the legislature is pushing more gun banning schemes on us, such as licensing etc.
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 8:40:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Maybe we should license cars and drivers?  Surely that would put an end to this senseless violence.   Four children would be alive today and the lives of two others would not have been destroyed if only we had common sense vehicle laws in place.

How long are we going to allow the AAA to murder our children?.  If only our politicians would stand up to the powerful auto lobby and pass common sense vehicle safety laws.

All auto dealers should be required to conduct backround checks of all vehicle purchasers.  We need to close the supermarket parking lot loophole that allows private citizens to sell vehicles without backround checks.

What?  Vehicles and their drivers alraeady have to be licensed?  Well obviously these restrictions are not enough.  Please join me in calling for even tougher laws to prevent other children from suffering the same tragic fate at these children.

What?  Hold the driver accountable?  It cannot be his fault.  It is our fault.  Our society should never have put such a deadly weapon into the hands of a confused child.  We must put society and the values of the AAA on trial, they are the ones who facilitated this tragedy by opposing tougher restrictions on the sale and use of vehicles.

Until we have removed vehicles and the automobile mentalitiy from our society these tragedies will continue and no one will be safe on the streets!

[/sarcasm]
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 9:53:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 10:20:52 AM EDT
[#24]
My children are not yet old enough to drive, but when I take them out shooting, I always go through the safety rules with them, I remind them that shooting is like driving a car, and is to be taken very seriously and with 100% attention.
================================================================================
http://www.cnn.com/2001/LAW/02/26/california.crash/index.html
CNN.com - College student charged with murder for car crash - February 26, 2001

College student charged with murder for car crash
February 26, 2001
Web posted at: 10:42 PM EST (0342 GMT)

SANTA BARBARA, California (CNN) -- A college student was charged Monday
with murder for a horrific car crash that left four pedestrians dead and
another seriously injured.
In a 13-count felony complaint filed Monday in court, local prosecutors
said David Edward Attias, 18, was charged with four counts of murder, four
counts of gross vehicle manslaughter while intoxicated, four counts of
driving under the influence of drugs causing great bodily injury, plus
additional counts for alleged victims who survived the crash. He is
scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday.

Attias is being held in the Santa Barbara County Jail.
Attias was speeding Friday night in the Isla Vista community -- adjacent
to the University of California, Santa Barbara campus -- when he veered to
the right, sideswiping nine cars with his 1991 Saab sedan, a spokesman for
the California Highway Patrol said.
Five pedestrians walking between those cars were struck.
Four of the pedestrians -- three men and one woman -- were declared dead
at the scene. The fifth, a 27-year-old San Francisco man, was taken to a
local hospital with severe injures.
Two of the dead were 20-year-old UCSB students. A third victim was a
student at Santa Barbara City College, and the fourth fatality was a
visitor from San Francisco.
Authorities said Attias fought students who tried to hold him until police
arrived.

(c) 2001 Cable News Network. All Rights Reserved.
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 12:53:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Isn't it amazing how the "Hollywood Elite" rally around their own.

I've been watching CNN & Headline news all day and NOT ONCE have they mentioned that the killer was the son of the Director.

Reminds me much of the murder of Bill Cosby's son.  You all remember, the immigrant that killed him was (as the news labeled him) an "ARMENIAN IMMIGRANT."

WRONG.  In fact, he was a Jewish immigrant, but the news doesn't want to piss off their lead group...

Just like they don't want to point out that fact that it is one of their own (not the dreaded assault rifle) that is to blame in this tragedy.
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 12:58:26 PM EDT
[#26]
This is California, it`s ok to take folks down if you dont use a gun. Ask OJ
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 1:19:24 PM EDT
[#27]
>I've been watching CNN & Headline news all day >and NOT ONCE have they mentioned that the >killer was the son of the Director.

Does it really matter? My dad isn't famous, but if I went shitbum-crazy I wouldn't want them to say "The son of ___ ____ killed 71 members of the DNC with a steel dildo wearing a bugs bunny costume" I guess it really maybe explains a little bit in this case about his hollywood lifestyle and that that type of behavior being "ok" but why pick on the father? he was 18, far as I'm concerned anyone over the age of 13 or 14 KNOWS the difference between right and wrong.

Link Posted: 2/27/2001 2:36:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Well ya know these evil cars their just to dangrous.  I belive auto's are responsible for more deaths than any other of mans devices.  I think we shoud all have to use tire locks and steering wheel locks to prevernt our evil cars from falling into the hands of evil people....Another thought I would bet if you owned a car you where 75% more likily to die then if you didn't.
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 2:41:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Well the punk is being charged with four counts of murder, but not first degree murder.  That is bullshit.  At least he could get life in prison, but he deserves the death penalty.

Attias arraignment continued

His parents issue statement

2/27/01
By JANE HULSE
NEWS-PRESS STAFF WRITER

[email protected]

David Edward Attias, the UCSB freshman accused of running over five people in Isla Vista, killing four, appeared in Santa Barbara County Superior Court Tuesday, but his arraignment was continued to March 6.

Attias said nothing during the brief court appearance, but his parents issued a joint statement after the court hearing about the horrific collision late Friday night.

"We're both just struck by how hopelessly inadequate any words could be, but on behalf of my wife, I just want to say how devastated and heartbroken we are for everybody who has been affected by this," Daniel Attias said during a two-minute statement. His wife, Diana, was by his side.

"This was a very horrible tragedy and we know it's affected not just the loved ones and the families of the victims whose grief must be unspeakable and we extend whatever compassion we're capable of but we know it has left a terrible, terrible gash in the whole community and we can't begin to tell you how saddened we are," he added.

Charges were filed Monday against 18-year-old David Attias: four counts of murder and four of gross vehicle manslaughter while intoxicated, plus five of driving while under the influence of drugs causing great bodily injury. If convicted on all charges, Attias faces a maximum sentence of life in prison.

The collision occurred shortly after 11 p.m. on Sabado Tarde Road as the five were walking in the middle of the street. Witnesses said Attias was driving at a high rate of speed when he allegedly drove through a stop sign and plowed into the pedestrians.

Four died at the scene: UCSB student Nicholas Bourdakis, 20, from Contra Costa County; UCSB student Christopher Divis, 20, from Vista; Elie Israel, 27, from San Francisco; and Santa Barbara City College student Ruth Levy, 20, from San Rafael. Levy's brother, Albert Levy, 27, also was hit but survived his injuries and remains hospitalized at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital.
=============================
I guess Johnny Cochran wasn't available before the 6th of March...

Link Posted: 2/27/2001 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#30]
I happen to live about 3 miles from where this happened.I am suprised that this hasent happened before.Every weekend these kids get loaded and walk down the middle of the street and drive around that lil town. Well its a sad thing and i think they should fry the little puke
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 4:00:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#32]
All the proof you need of the anti-gun bias in the liberal media. One student kills 4, and assaults others with his car and fists. This story is just a blurb compared to Santana.
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#33]
It does matter that he was the son of a hollywood director and the only reason that it is not being reported is because of the media bias. If the son of some high ranking NRA official had done the same exact thing it would have made front page news and they would have constantly mentioned that it was the deranged son of someone from the NRA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top