Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2007 11:01:56 AM EDT
What do you think?

www.helium.com/tm/142496/write-minutes-after-precious

I was once a Boy Scout and I appreciated the values that it taught me, and I of course would send my sons to become Cub/Boy Scouts, but I have wondered about the agenda of the Girl Scouts, and wanted to see what kinds of programs cookie money supported.

I gathered from the above blog that the Girl Scouts wants to educate young girls about the truths of teen pregnancy and promote positive body image, and I don't think those are bad ideas.  Is there any truth to the idea that the Girl Scouts are being more indoctrinated by truly liberal rhetoric?

For a moment I wondered about it before I left the store where there were Girl Scouts selling cookies, but in the end, I couldn't resist two cute faces.    So what say you, ARFCOM, will my $7 go towards something sinister?
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:40:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Seriously, what do the girl scouts actually do with their time? Serious question.

I buy the cookies too, I send the cookies to deployed troops...
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:45:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I did not find the article that the mother was talking about.  Anyone have a link?  I am going to go check google right now.

www.girlscouts.org/news/media_coverage/a_new_girl_scout_pledge.asp

It does not seem as dire as the mother tries to make it seem.  The GS are responding to the girls who say that they are not being listened to by adults (read: parents) who ignore what is going on in their day-to-day lives.

OTOH;  I am planning on pulling my daughter from GS's because of the cookie sales.

Yup.  They get to hawk cookies not to support their local troops, but to pay the salaries of the national council.  The negotiated price varies, but they get $.25-$.50 a box.  My daughter sold 83 boxes and it was counted as 'barely enough'.  If you want to donate money, do it directly to the local troop and keep the money where it belongs.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:48:54 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
 So what say you, ARFCOM, will my $7 go towards something sinister?

Yes...it will contribute to an expanding waistline.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes you should and Boy Scouts also.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:51:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Should what?
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:53:14 AM EDT
[#6]
My daughter is in the GS,... I don't see anything out of line here (nothing as was mentioned in that blog)

I attend weekly meetings with her and I was with her and another GS/Father team selling cookies yesterday.

IF something is amiss and there is a link or other info avail. I'd like to know about it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:53:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Should what?

Thread Title: "Should one support the Girl Scouts?   "

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:55:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I co-lead(flame suit on) with my older sister.
They're a great organization.
So yes.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:59:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I usuallly try to haggle them down on the price.  

They never go for it, though.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 12:07:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Check your local troop before doing anything with or for them.
We were going to get out daughter in the girl scouts, we got hold of the local troop to find out how to go about it and see what they do these days.
The two things that I remember from their list of activities was an outing to the mall to learn about "shopping" and an outing to a fancy restaurant to learn "fine dining", there were absolutely no outdoors events and every event was listed as a fund raiser.
Needless to say our daughter got nowhere near those fruitcakes.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top