Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/25/2007 9:06:52 AM EDT
I live about 20 miles from work, half of that would be in city driving.
I'm 48 and I have never owned a street bike... but.. I raced  dirt bikes
off road from 1978 to 1994 in which I have logged 6000 race miles, so
I'll adapt.  It looks like the Suzuki GSX 750 appears to be the front runner
but I'm still studying all of the data.  It looks like used 1000cc bikes are not
too far behind in price and I wouln't rule out a 600cc ??  What say you ??
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:11:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Get something more comfy but still sport...say honda vfr

You will thank your aging wrists.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:13:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I sold my Suzuki SV650s last fall and am considering getting an SV1000 come summer time.

I suggest you ride an SV650s and see how you like it.  It has the look of a sport bike, but the power is extemely smooth being a L-twin.  It is also far more comfortable in my opinion than most sport bikes.  Another factor is insurance, and since the SV650s is still considered a 'standard' and not a sport bike. It is very cheap.  I think I was paying like $140 a year for liability on it.  It was an 02 worth about $3500, so paying $1200 a year for full coverage really didn't make sense to me.

You will also love the sound of the SV650.

$.02
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:14:06 AM EDT
[#3]
honda 996 superhawks can be bought real cheap now.
with a little suspension work they are sweet!

out of the box 2000 up gixxer 750 rock.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:18:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Gixxer thou'

'nuff said
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:21:28 AM EDT
[#5]
At 48 you have no business on a 1000 or 750 sportbike. They are well beyond your ability and unless you want to see what asphalt feels like on your body, I would suggest you pick something else. The ride on one of those bikes are going to beat you to death. Not much power (speaking from an experienced rider) until you get into the sweet spots and then you are over the speed limit. A good street bike has torque and is a bit more comfortable. Now I just sold my Hayabusa so the power may be a perspective issue.

Some bikes that might be a bit better

SV-650
FZ-600
FZ-1000
VFR-800

Now if your dead set on a sportbike setup, want tons of power / torque will wheelie at 80mph on power alone an older CBR900RR years 93-99 won't set you back more than 5k or so. But I would strongly suggest you log some miles on a more user friendly bike first.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:21:32 AM EDT
[#6]
If you want a hell of a fun street bike that will blow away that 750 GSXR.  Yet is still comfortable, can corner with the best and still be tame too, look at the Aprillia Tourano.  It's like a naked rocket.  Insurance is cheap, the position is nice, seat comfortable, the bars are more like motorcross bars(Datona Bars), and it will take the corners and ride hard like a rocket when you want.  Yet It's comfy and  tame and will just cruise if you want too.  It was in the last Cycle World Shoot out too and took best all around steet fighter type bike.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:26:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I would definitely stay away from anything with an R at the end.  As has been said, they are hard edge bikes, and really aren't that comfortable at all IMO.  To tool around on the weekends thats great, but as a daily rider I think you would regret it.

If I was a wealthy man I would own one of these.

I also am a fan of the naked bikes
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:28:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Something in the streetfighter class(stripped down sport bike) 750 cc or less. There is tons of power there and you won't feel underpowered for your first bike and won't think you need more power two weeks after you get it. A few years down the road you may want more torque or a snappy throttle but you don't want to be riding with your hair on fire as a beginner.

I say google and/or look at dealers that have the Triumph Speed Four, Ducati Monster somewhere in the 600cc range, I don't remember exactly), and Susuki SV  650(mentioned earlier and you can get it used at a GREAT price).

I like all of those bikes and if I had the spare money to justify another bike it's the type of bike I'd get right now.

If you MUST have a bigger motor and lots of torque also look at the Buell line. I have read several articles where they win cornering tests against full on sport bikes.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:28:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Fuckin A. Pick up the fastest one you can afford.

But do your family a favor first.

Pre-pay to be buried or get cremated or donate your body to science before you buy the bike.

Sigh a DNR and get with someone you trust to "do you a favor" when you get get in a wreak and wind up brain dead.

Carry around a body bag and a few ziplock baggies so the ERT guys can pick up as much as of you as they can.

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
but I'm still studying all of the data.  It looks like used 1000cc bikes are not

Your dirt experience notwithstanding, the GSXR 750 is alot of bike.

I am not saying you can't handle it, but your head will need to be on straight to stay out of trouble. Even a 600 these days can present a pretty steep learning curve for someone with no experience. With the power available on modern sportbikes, it is
not difficult to get into situations, very quickly, that your dirt experience may not
provide much help with. Especially on the street.

It's all in the right hand, though, so your comfort level on two wheels combined with
a little good judgment should keep 'the devil that lives in the pavement' at bay.

For your first street bike, have you considered something like a SV650? It doesn't have
the power or sex appeal of the Gixxer, but is still widley acknowledged to be an excellent ride. Also, at 48, you in shape? The riding position is a little more aggressive
on the gixxer, and may be quite the torture rack, especially in city driving.

Good luck with whatever you choose. If you're interested, I know a few books that you
can read that are very helpful to get into street riding.

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:34:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Hey - I've done a couple track days and concluded that you can't come remotely close on the street to the overall speed (corner speeds combined with straight speed, hard braking, hard acceleration) that you can do on the track. It's a whole other world. New sportbikes are made to do that - total overkill for the street. That said, horsepower is still great even if you don't drag your knee at 100mph in turns. I would go Hayabusa or ZX-14. Comfort and speed, good brakes and handling for street cornering speeds. Of course, you'll get every different opinion you can imagine. Triumph Speed Triple is cool too if you don't want to pay the extra insurance for a full fairing. DO CHECK THE INSURANCE RATES on the bike you plan to buy. It can be a deal-breaker on the sportbikes.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:34:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Triumph Speed Triple.

I have no bias, I swear.

I was going to suggest something small and light, or not a sport bike at all, they can be hell on old dudes, after a few minutes your wrists and shoulders can hurt because its a weird way to sit for some people, but shit if you've put that many hours on dirt you've beat yourself up more than any street biker and you're looking for more.

Normally I'd say start small, a little Honda or something, but if you find something you like now, sounds like you'll have no problem growing into it.

Just take it EASY.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:41:49 AM EDT
[#13]
After racing MX or offroad, either club or Pro, the 750 will be a pussycat
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:46:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R (636) and LOVE IT

My wife wanted one so we did some research on a "beginner" bike and went with a Suzuki SV650S.  She loves it and it has enough power that it won't get boring.

As far as naked bikes go I think the Triumph Speed Triple is sexy

One thing about the new sport bikes is the "GP style exhaust" the hot thing now is a really short pipe that exits real close you foot.

I prefer the underseat style I think it looks sleeker

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:51:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

First,

TAKE THE DAMN MSF COURSE.

It WILL save your life.

Second, Don't buy a bike as an extension of your ego.  Know your limits, and purchase sensibly.

There's NO forgiveness in a motorcycle on the street in traffic situations like there is in a sports car, or on a closed track of any kind;  errant, stupid, STUPID other drivers distracted by stereos, cell phones, iPods, and emotions are your biggest threat.

Be safe, rubber side down, shiney side up.

E.

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:59:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Fuckin A. Pick up the fastest one you can afford.

Also, at 48, you in shape?

After racing MX or offroad, either club or Pro, the 750 will be a pussycat

I don't plan to road race on the streets.....Just an occasional straight away for fun.
Remember i'm not an undisiplined kid.
I am in shape I bicycle 3000 miles a year,  So I am used to riding in that position.
From when I was racing, I never rode above my ability ( well sometimes ).
I look at the higher displacement engines for Longevitity and lower
rpms at a given speed,  (Comfort) ( correct me on this ? ).

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:02:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Another vote for a Honda VFR-800 .....plenty of power, good stability, and a slightly more relaxed geometry
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:08:50 AM EDT
[#18]
From someone who's been riding since 1991, get something that has a comfortable riding position.  I ended up selling the sexiest bike I ever owner (a Ducati 748) simpley because it was a sonufabitch to ride in the area I live.  The "sportbikes" are generally thinly disguised racebikes, and have a distinct focus to them.  Usually, you will never use that  focus.

Good bikes have been mentioned above.  Suzuki SV650, SV1000, Honda VFR and the like.  Gas 'em, check the oil a few times a year, you're good to go.  Take the MSF, and wear your gear ALWAYS.  Be safe.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:09:12 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Gixxer thou'ZX-10r

'nuff said
fixed it for you,try 1000 plus cc for commuting,not saying a 600 won't do it but you'll have all the power youd ever need on tap without looking for the right gear.at your age you might look into the ZX-14,or Hayabusa.i ride my ZX-10r almost year round and i will warn you that it is not a bike built for comfort,it has one purpose only,haulin ass.when you do decide on one,600-1400 cc,take it EASY,modern sportbikes do not tke well to novices with heavy hands and empty heads,they will chew you up and spit you out with little or no warning.blah,blah,blah.Honda seems to be making the more docile easily controlled sport bikes at present.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:11:54 AM EDT
[#20]
With your dirt experience, go with an "adventure" bike like the Triumph Tigre or KTM 950.

I ride a DRZ400 on 65 mile round trip commutes many days a year when the weather is nice.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:12:09 AM EDT
[#21]
It is funny reading some of these posts when a sportbike thread comes up, because some of them are spot on and some of them are retarded.

I'm not gonna make a bike recommendation, other than a 600's motor will last just as long as a 1000's.

Your dirt bike experience will be a major help and could also be your BIGGEST DOWNFALL.  I am not kidding, because I used to ride dirt all the time until i got my first streetbike.  A lot of the habits and techniques you use riding dirt are just plain wrong or will get you killed on a streetbike.

The tricky thing is, many dirtbikes are more of a handful than streetbikes.  Most 2 stroke 250's and bigger will pull harder, or seem to, than a streetbike.  Thing is, you might wheelie in 3rd gear on a 250 MX'er off of power alone, and you might not be able to do the same thing on a streetbike.  BUT, 3rd gear on both bikes, you might be doing 30 on the MX'er and 95 on the streetbike.  Also, a dirtbike will get real fast, real quick, but you can do 120+ on a street bike and it will STILL pull hard.

Basically, dirtbikes feel like they pull harder because generally their gearing is short and they are light.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:12:14 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Gixxer thou'ZX-10r

'nuff said
fixed it for you,try 1000 plus cc for commuting,not saying a 600 won't do it but you'll have all the power youd ever need on tap without looking for the right gear.at your age you might look into the ZX-14,or Hayabusa.i ride my ZX-10r almost year round and i will warn you that it is not a bike built for comfort,it has one purpose only,haulin ass.when you do decide on one,600-1400 cc,take it EASY,modern sportbikes do not tke well to novices with heavy hands and empty heads,they will chew you up and spit you out with little or no warning.blah,blah,blah.Honda seems to be making the more docile easily controlled sport bikes at present.

All the 1000's are soo close, you really have to almost flip a coin to decide.

On a side note, if you think the ZX10 is better than the Gixxer, please enlighten me as to how many pro races (WSBK, AMA, BSB, etc) the ZX10 versus the GSXR1000?
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:18:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Bikes like the Suzuki GSXR's and Yamaha R1 have very aggressive rider position - footpegs high up, and handlebars low.

That position is great for the track, but teh suck for everyday riding.  It's different from a bicycle - the vibration has it's own fatiguing effect.

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:18:27 AM EDT
[#24]
I vote for the Ducati Monster...  S4Rs if you want the power and suspension goodies.  

This bike won't "beat you to death", but it will put a silly grin on your face.   More upright seating than the sport bike category, so a little easier on the old wrists.  Only drawback I've found is the somewhat limited fuel tank capacity.  Maybe 120 miles if you're easy on the throttle.  

If you're just using around town, and don't plan more than a few epic rides a year, I think it would suit you.  Good luck with your search.

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:19:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Honda 929RR

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:19:48 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Triumph Speed Triple.
I have no bias, I swear. .

So says Mr. "Daytona955i".  uh... ya... no bias there.

OP:

+1 to taking the MSF course.

I can tell you that there are a LOT of re-entry riders getting smeared across the highway around my state anyway and their stories closely match yours. "I USED to ride all the time, I think I want to street ride now. I am going to get a XXXX (750,1000,1300) to drive to work." Please be safe whatever you do. There are just too many variables in the equation to internet guess this. Go to dealerships and LOOK at bikes, decide a type, then narrow it down further. Eventually you will be left with a few bikes to choose from.

For example... I knew I wanted a sportbike after riding an F4i, SV650, Speed Triple, Magma, and Shadow in a one week period.

I knew I wanted a 600 or maybe 750 after jumping on a 955i, R1, R6, Ninja 250, Ninja 500.

I knew I wanted a bike with a solo cowl or only one seat from looking at pics of bikes.

I knew I was tall and heavy so a bike like a ZX6 would not fit me, after riding a ZX6.

I knew I wanted fuel injection.

After all this I settled on a 98-99 GSXR 750, but could only find the 96-97 in my price range.

Thus I bought a 96.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:26:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Well at 47 myself, I own a 2004 Yamaha R1 I bought new in Feb. 2004. I'm in good shape but not great shape for 47 and still have a blast riding it. I also do a few track days every year. I have been riding street bikes for 30 years now and don't see myself stopping anytime soon. This bike is # 28 for me.
JtP
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#28]
With your racing experience you will have no trouble handling any of the choices. It cracks me up that people think your age has to do with your ability to handle a bike. Your age, athletic ability or the way you dress have nothing to do with your skill on a motorcycle.  

A modern 600 is going to have all the power you need, along with cheaper insurance. The GSXR IMO has the most racer like seating, so you are pretty folded up. Sit on some different makes and get what you like.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:28:06 AM EDT
[#29]
add another vote for sv650, comfortable, has plenty of power, and will handle great with a couple mod's. 600's also have plenty of power only thing is if your going to be doing much highway riding they get tiring highway rpm range is usually in a buzzy area of the rpm range and may get some vibrations making hands numb(maybe newer 600's aren't as bad haven't been on any 600 since 02 or 03.. As long as your in decent shape dont listen to the guys saying your to old, I have a few friends in there 50's who ride liter bikes.  
I prefer vtwins myself lot of fun in the twisties and make good power low down for around town stuff.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:33:28 AM EDT
[#30]
I picked up a 2001 Kawasaki ZR-7s last year with 1500 miles on for just under $4000.  The ZR-7s (738cc) is a comfy air-cooled bike that has a fairing and very little other plastic.  The 5.8 gallon tank is also nice.  The were made 2000 - 2003.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:33:36 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
With your racing experience you will have no trouble handling any of the choices. It cracks me up that people think your age has to do with your ability to handle a bike. Your age, athletic ability or the way you dress have nothing to do with your skill on a motorcycle.  

A modern 600 is going to have all the power you need, along with cheaper insurance. The GSXR IMO has the most racer like seating, so you are pretty folded up. Sit on some different makes and get what you like.

Some of the fastest guys I raced against were pot bellied 50 year old men....
although they were very experienced.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:36:55 AM EDT
[#32]
The all mighty,gixxer stompin ZX10r.2nd pic is my wifes foot after she took a ride on the back of a squids bike.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:46:34 AM EDT
[#33]

SQUIDS.....that's what we used to call them...Fuckin A
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Gixxer thou'ZX-10r

'nuff said

On a side note, if you think the ZX10 is better than the Gixxer, please enlighten me as to how many pro races (WSBK, AMA, BSB, etc) the ZX10 versus the GSXR1000?
lets talk street,raw bhp,i will smoke your ass.yes the gixxers do win at the track,i'm not gonna argue that,do you race at the AMA -pro level running race kit parts from top level sponsors and manufacturers?i doubt it.put a stock 05 gixxer against a stock 05 zx10r and you think the gixxer will win?what year is your gixxer?
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:57:31 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Gixxer thou'ZX-10r

'nuff said

lets talk street,raw bhp,i will smoke your ass.yes the gixxers do win at the track,i'm not gonna argue that,do you race at the AMA -pro level running race kit parts from top level sponsors and manufacturers?i doubt it.put a stock 05 gixxer against a stock 05 zx10r and you think the gixxer will win?what year is your gixxer?

I'm sorry you feel this way.

I've raced CCS North East Region as well as Florida region from 95-99.  I've raced everythign from the Race of Champions at Daytona, to Formula USA races.  I've won many races, as well as finished top 5 in my region seasonally many times.

I'm not talking about pro teams with bottomless pockets.  All you have to do is pick up any issue of Roadracing World, turn to the back of it, and check out various results for Unlimited SB, Unlimited GP, Heavyweight SS, and Heavyweight SB.  I'm willing to bet that more than 95% of the top 5 finishers, including the winners were on GSXR1000's

I'll take your bet any day.  I'll even take a 600 to any bike of your choosing.

Back to the OP.  All the thousands are great bikes.  IMHO, judging from pretty much every m/c rag, as well as racing results, the Suzuki GSXR1000 is a much more refined sportbike than the rest of them out there.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:09:03 AM EDT
[#36]
seems you are an experienced racer,i'm still talking street,and yes the gixxer is more refined,almost honda like. i chose the ten because it has an explosive power delivery.yes i'm sure you can smoke my ass on a 600,maybe even a 250,then again i haven't raced ccs/wera or any other type of sanctioned events.put the ten against the gixxer based on bhp and power delivery.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:13:06 AM EDT
[#37]
BMW K1200R

I love mine

and this picture does it no justice.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#38]
As for the 1000's

I'd also vote for the ZX10R

My buddy at work drag races a ZX12 and want to upgrade to the 10R better power to weight ratio

I get Sport Rider, Cycle World, and Motorcyclist

I find their reviews about as useful as the reviews in gunrags it's all about the money
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:40:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Get the GSXR-750 2006 or 2007. It is a GREAT bike, fast on straightaway but feels like a 600 around corners.

Just got back from Cocoa beach on mine, all my buddies got ninja's and R1 and im ALWAYS the first one out of the turn.

I might be a little biased though

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:54:46 AM EDT
[#40]
If you want something different check out the new Buells.

I like them but I'm bias(from Milwaukee). Hope to get one this spring.

Buell

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 12:12:10 PM EDT
[#41]
HMMM 48, still a kid! I'm 56 and my first bike was a Kawi ZZR600! I've put over 4500 miles on it and I'm still walkin and talkin!  Just like guns, it's not the caliber but how you use it!  Just buy what you like, take the safety course and enjoy!
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#42]
The GSXR 750 is a great bike, but it's a lot to start on dirt experience or not.

I think for most people a twin makes more sense on the street, the peaky powerband of an RR isn't really all that useable on the street and can get you in trouble too easy.

With the twin you get a lot more torque and a broader powerband.

For example, my SV650 produces more torque through a 7000rpm band than a 636 does peak. 636 is a much faster bike, but the SV is more fun to ride at sane street speeds.

Get a used SV 650, or an SV1000 or superhawk if you feel you need more AFTER having ridden the 650, and ride it for a year. You'll get your money back if you want to trade up so long as you don't crash, and if you do you'll be out less money and likely less injury.

Speed triple is a good choice too if you want to spend more money.

As I believe others have said, you'll progress farther and faster riding a smaller (or less high tuned) bike than babying a litre or Gixxer750 on the street, and it's more fun too. I've been riding my SV for two years, and street bikes for 12, and it's still very rare for me to find WOT more than momentarily, but I can ride the bike hard without doing anything too crazy. My buddies GSXR1000 is frustrating to ride on the street because in order to really get it working to it's potential you have to commit a felony. When we ride together I have no trouble keeping up, or leaving him behind in the twisties for that matter.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:08:30 PM EDT
[#43]
If you are in shape and want tons of power go ahead and get a older CBR900RR or 929RR but don't say we didnt tell you! Ever crash in the dirt? On the street you have curbs, man-hole covers, gravel, cars, people, slick lines etc.  

YOU HAVE NO STREET BIKE EXPERIENCE! Say that over and over in your head. Stay away from 1000's, 750's you will most likely end up hitting the ground. Get the best gear you can afford from head to toe.

For the 600's and 750's to make good power they are higher in the revs, well your already over the speed limit. The seats are pretty uncomfortable but they fit my riding style alot better. Buy something managable or you will be spending extra money on repairs.

Another thing that people have not told you is a 600 will make you a better rider. You will be timid on a bigger bike for much longer. Corners and wheelies is how I like to ride in the country, a smaller bike lets you learn to be a better rider. Then when you want more power and have learned the skills you can move up and still be a good rider.

I would not suggest the Hayabusa or ZX14 unless you don't feel like living anymore. I just sold my Hayabusa after owning 10 bikes 5 of which were 900RR's. I have had my fun doing wheelies at 130, spinning the rear tire around corners but all I can say is people on here are giving you great advice.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:56:03 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
At 48 you have no business on a 1000 or 750 sportbike. They are well beyond your ability and unless you want to see what asphalt feels like on your body, I would suggest you pick something else. The ride on one of those bikes are going to beat you to death. Not much power (speaking from an experienced rider) until you get into the sweet spots and then you are over the speed limit. A good street bike has torque and is a bit more comfortable. Now I just sold my Hayabusa so the power may be a perspective issue.

Some bikes that might be a bit better

SV-650
FZ-600
FZ-1000
VFR-800

Now if your dead set on a sportbike setup, want tons of power / torque will wheelie at 80mph on power alone an older CBR900RR years 93-99 won't set you back more than 5k or so. But I would strongly suggest you log some miles on a more user friendly bike first.

Funny - I've known a few guys in their 60s still riding these sportbikes that they supposedly "have no business on".  A relatively modern 1000cc mahcine has torque a-plenty.  They just also happen to have stratospheric power curve.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:35:39 PM EDT
[#45]
nothing beats cc's and some crotch rockets at low speeds are hard on older wrist
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#46]
If you have lots of experience riding dirt & you want this for communting why not go with a good Dual Purpose bike?  Upright seating (bending over lowbars and tank can get old quickly for us "Age Advanced Americans").  

I have a KLR 650 and love it!  Not the fastest bike on the planet, but it is anvil tough and simple, always runs, and the fun doesn't end at the pavement.  

If price is not an issue, the larger displacement BMWs and KTMs are available with more motor and sophisiticaton and snob appeal if you want to pay for it.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 4:19:35 PM EDT
[#47]
If your a new rider.. take the MSF course before you do anything.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 4:34:28 PM EDT
[#48]
My two cents:

The usually crotch rocket weight forward seating position is fine 'at speed'. The widn resistance seems to take some wieght.  

However, I HATE these things in any kind of real traffic or slower speeds.  The wieght forward position places too much wieght on the hands and wrists. As a carpal tunnel sufferer I have 10 minutes in this position before  the hands go numb.

If you have any significant traffic, you might want a slightly less aggressive seating position.  Some of the naked bikes have similar, but less agressive seating that are a bit more commuter friendly.

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 4:52:15 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
As for the 1000's

I'd also vote for the ZX10R

My buddy at work drag races a ZX12 and want to upgrade to the 10R better power to weight ratio

I get Sport Rider, Cycle World, and Motorcyclist

I find their reviews about as useful as the reviews in gunrags it's all about the money

Get a real mag, Roadracing World
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:07:52 PM EDT
[#50]
A GSXR is not a good choice for your parameters. Take the MSF course.

The super sports are great for going around a race track, or for hitting the canyons, but they are not good at commuting and every day use. For commuting you should look more towards sport touring, naked, and standards.

IMHO, your best bet would be a used SV650S. It looks the sport bike part, but has a much better power band for street use (torque), has easier ergonomics, and has less plastic to break when it falls over.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top