Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2001 12:23:12 PM EDT
Can someone please explain who Carl Vinson is or was?  Must of been someone very important to have a major capital ship named after him.  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 12:27:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Read all about it:

[url]http://www.cviog.uga.edu/Projects/gainfo/c-vinson.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 12:30:21 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC Chuckie V. was a Senator. I do not know which state he represented.

I stand corrected, He was a Congressman

When I was on the USS Enterprise and the Chuckie V. was berthed across from us we used to wonder if it was welded to the pier.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#3]
TimeToFeedTheHogs- Pot calling the kettel black.
How long were you guys in overhaul?
Finding a whole machine room sealed off, doesn't look good either.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 1:24:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
TimeToFeedTheHogs- Pot calling the kettel black.
How long were you guys in overhaul?
Finding a whole machine room sealed off, doesn't look good either.
View Quote

I left the Big "E" in '91. I don't know how long the overhaul lasted but I do know it wasn't going so well up to the point of when I left.

I remember hearing a story about right after the
Mighty Enterprise was commisioned that they found a space sealed but never heard such a claim after the overhaul.

Not throwing stones really, we were just a bit jealous that you guys never seemed to make a wake.[:D]

I must say though that If we had been shackled to the pier like the Chuckie V. seemed to be I would not have been so fortunate as to have visited the Countries that I did.

Did they ever break the welds on the pier before the millenium came in?
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 1:37:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I wasn't on the chuckie v, I was on the Texas and arkanpig. But the chuckie v made it out for the 94 Westpac that I got to leave before, so yep just before the end.
They were in bremerton with the Texas just before she got Decommed. I just remember stories about the Big E while I was in, the machinery space is the only I think I can post about.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top