Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2007 11:21:40 PM EDT
I was sitting here on the computer a few minutes ago and heard some voices outside. I jumped up, ran to the bedroom and grabbed my FiveseveN. As I round the corner into the entry way I Rack the slide click,Clack. One of the Officers (looking thought the top of my door)says "Police! you can put your gun away" So I turn around and put my gun on the kitchen counter. I then walk back to the door unlock it and open it.

Police: "Do you always answer the door with a Gun???"
Me: "I do at this time of night.........."
Police: "Do you have a permit for that?" (I must have missed the memo about now needing a permit inside my house with the doors locked)
Me: "No........ I bought it legally,  and am not carrying it on my person in public so I do not need one. I think that it is better to have it and not need it,than to need it and not have it."
Police: "Is that your red car parked right out front?"
ME: "Yes"
Police: "We got a report of someone trying to break into it."
Me: "Break into it????"
Police: "You work for granite construction?"
Me: "No ???????"
Police: "Can you come outside and make sure that nothing is missing?"
Me: "Sure."
So I walk outside and look through my car and not finding any thing missing I tell them that I think every thing is here. I don't really have any thing to steal in my car except for a half pound package of beef jerky, safety vest from work and a jacket that I wore to work on Friday.

So did I over react or did I just unnerve some of the boys in blue?
AP
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:27:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think you overreacted but I would have made sure they were real cops. I would have called the local PD to verify.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:29:26 PM EDT
[#2]
You live in Az? You dont need a permit un less you conceal it.

Freaking PoPo Fudds!

i answer the door with a gun in my hand everytime. No one ever knocks.... no one ever comes over! So when someone knocks or rings the bell.... its go time!

I have had more than one tweeker at my door after 10pm thanks to the Dealers at the other CORNER of the building, a corner unit like mine. Tweekers are easliy confused.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:29:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Why did you rack it? You should have had it chambered already!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:30:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think you overreacted but try not to do that too often.  I would hate to see you get shot or something.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:33:31 PM EDT
[#5]
azcopwannabee: im not there right now. Im at my house in Kali. Come summer I will be there though.

height=8
Quoted:

I was making sure it was loaded had to pick a round up off the floor when I came back inside the house.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:34:29 PM EDT
[#6]
You wanna mess with me?

you messin' with the best

Say hello to my little friend........

- Clint
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:35:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice responding with a 5seven
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:37:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Just curious, did you verify credentials or see a police car before setting your gun back on the counter? Seems like anyone could say they are the police and its alright, disarm yourself so I can come in and rob/rape/kill you now.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:40:11 PM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Quoted:
Just curious, did you verify credentials or see a police car before setting your gun back on the counter? Seems like anyone could say they are the police and its alright, disarm yourself so I can come in and rob/rape/kill you now.

Yup looked through the peep hole at the cop car and uniforms
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:41:47 PM EDT
[#10]
MMM beef jerky, what's your address?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:42:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I keep all my guns unchambered, because I have kids in the house.  They know not to touch anything, and I keep the unused ones locked up most of the time.  But still, I feel better having an empty chamber because they are not strong enough to rack the slides (yet) and don't know how (yet).
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:45:57 AM EDT
[#12]
No, you didn't over react. Another bunch of cops not knowing what they are talking about. or just trying to be assholes. You sure they were not form the Manassas, VA PD?

Mike
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:01:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Very entertaining movie, but do you belive how the modern kids idolize this drug dealing piece of shit?

Quoted:
You wanna mess with me?

you messin' with the best

Say hello to my little friend........

- Clint
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:09:55 AM EDT
[#14]
You didn't overreact at all. Door knock at 11:30pm? Perceived threat, so you were armed and ready. Once you verified they were cops, the pistol was put down. You did nothing wrong.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:14:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Step 1 put the gun down
Step 2 hide the dog
Step 3 answer the door

That would have been my progression.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:17:06 AM EDT
[#16]
A handgun?!

You went to answer the door at 11:30 PM with a fucking handgun?!
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:18:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:23:54 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
You didn't overreact at all. Door knock at 11:30pm? Perceived threat, so you were armed and ready. Once you verified they were cops, the pistol was put down. You did nothing wrong.

+1
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:24:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was making sure it was loaded had to pick a round up off the floor when I came back inside the house.

Press check.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:25:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Well, according to the Brady bunch, you sure picked the right tool for the fight

I don't answer the door with the gun in hand, but it is holstered with my hand on it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:30:32 AM EDT
[#21]
 Sounds like you handled it perfectly to me.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:42:16 AM EDT
[#22]
"One of the Officers (looking thought the top of my door)says "Police! you can put your gun away" So I turn around......"

If someone can look through the top of the door, it may be time to block that view.

ETA:  I always answer the door with a loaded weapon nearby, in my hand at night.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:53:21 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
A handgun?!

You went to answer the door at 11:30 PM with a fucking handgun?!

Yeah, dude, like, ya shoulda got tactical, fer shurr. gone to the door w/ a pump shottie with a mag lite, or an AR w/ACOG, M203, frangible rounds. Party on, dude!

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:56:26 AM EDT
[#24]
They thought you need a permit?   You MUST live in Tempe.....
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:04:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Sounds like it was well handled to me.  Glad nothing was missing from your vehicle too.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:06:44 AM EDT
[#26]
I think it is funny how everyone thinks cops are always unnerved at the sight of a gun.

Anyways,  sounds like the OP handled things pretty well. I would think about putting in a solid door though.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:12:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Ok there seems to be some confusion.

FALARAK: Yeah I know that I could have just looked at the chamber indicator but I'm used to the glock

desertmoon: No right now I live in Cali but come summer time I will be at the other house in Heber/Show low
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top