Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2007 10:09:38 PM EDT
OK, I understand that they (and other groups) lobby for the rights of citizens but how does the actual process work? Take for example the current House Resolution 1022 they are trying to get enough support behind to take it to the House floor.

What are the steps the NRA takes to fight for our rights to put these and other bills that may arise in the DOA catagory? Does it boil down to the lobbying of those who are pro-gun and then work on the fence sitters to try and bring it to a halt before it get's traction or do they follow some other steps?

You always hear that their lobbying power is quite large in D.C., well how do they put that power into action to safeguard our rights for those who would desire our incremental disarmament?

As a side note I found it kind of laughable that my dictionary lists to "disarm" is "to make friendly".  What's the old statement read " with friends like these who needs enemies".
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:15:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:26:32 PM EDT
[#2]
They work together to find a way to fuck us taxpayer/voter/owner over more slowly.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:38:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Tell ya this much though, if we fire off to the NRA like we did with Zumbogate, this proposed AWB may have a very very VERY short life.

You are a fool to think the NRA needs condemnation.

What the NRA needs is money for their lobbying efforts Washington D.C. But guys like you always scream like a banshee when you get the fundraising letters.

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:54:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I hope the word "lobby" doesn't refer to taking those who you are trying to pursuade out for the wine and dine experience and then promise some of the other perks that you hear have been used to influence the political decision that is before them.

What a minute, this is America isn't it?

Just kidding, but I still would like to hear what transpires with the process.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:58:46 PM EDT
[#5]
lobbying is a fancy way of saying...  "our guys are smarter and can talk faster with bigger words so you do what we tell you to..."
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:04:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I hope the word "lobby" doesn't refer to taking those who you are trying to pursuade out for the wine and dine experience and then promise some of the other perks that you hear have been used to influence the political decision that is before them.

What a minute, this is America isn't it?

Just kidding, but I still would like to hear what transpires with the process.

That's exactly why I agree it would be nice if somebody with experience could explain the actual process. I'm sure alot of people think that "hookers and blow" are what they mean by Lobbying.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:22:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Lobbying is about showering money onto a Congress Critter.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:29:40 PM EDT
[#8]
so what does that mean? where exactly does the money go? Into the politicians pockets? To the campaign funds? Somewhere else?
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 12:22:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 12:25:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Your post comes across like many that have bashed the NRA.

Maybe I am hypersensitive, but I am really sick of the BS put out by the GOA members that the NRA is a "gun control organization".
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 12:36:21 PM EDT
[#11]
So does anybody have some solid insite into this process of what they do and how they go about it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 1:05:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I would imagine that part of it would be something along the lines of:

"Congressman, the membership of the NRA is 'X' MILLION members. Of that number, 'Y' live in YOUR state, and 'Z' live in YOUR district, and are constituents."

This is why membership numbers can carry more weight than just money.
I would rather have a 5 million member NRA, and $1 million in the account, than a 1 million member NRA, and $5 million in the account.

(start hijack)

Join the NRA for $10.00.

(end hijack)

HKO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top