Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2001 11:59:02 AM EDT
I'm looking for a .22LR rifle that can get 1" or less 10-shot groups using regular ammo (Remington T-22 or any CCI stuff) from a bench at 50 yards.

So far, I've looked at the Kimber .22s and the Ruger .22 Varmit (77/22 with 24" barrel) bolt-action rifle.  The Kimber sounds very nice from what I have been able to read about it, but I have been unable to find one close by to actually take a look at.  It also retails for around $730.  The Ruger bolt action seems to handle nicely (at least in the gun store), but I have no idea how accurate it is.  It is availabel for about $500.

Does anyone out there have experience with either of these guns?  or another .22 rifle that  is very accurate?
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 12:04:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 12:15:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I can easily get 1/4 incgroupings at 50 yards with my pimped up 10/22, volquartsen trigger group and a custom heavy barrel.  All told about $500.00 into that one.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 12:27:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 12:45:10 PM EDT
[#4]
My brother owned an Anschutz 54.
My father sold it to a family friend.
When I put my hands on another Anschutz 54 some time ago, the same friend wo owned the 1st one
asked me to sell him even the other carbine.
He now manages (with low quality scopes) to shoot incredibly tight groups even at 80 meters
with non match ammo with the two guns.
Another incredibly shooting carbine, for the price paid, is the CZ zkm452-E 22 l.r.
In Italy it sells for less than 300$ the deluxe wooden stock model.
(remember, in Italy gun prices are quite high).
Good shooting.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 12:52:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Anschutz offers a moderately priced superbly accurate rifle known as the Model 64MP.

[url]http://www.anschuetz-sport.com/english/ansch/katalog/match_engl/219_4001/219_4001_frame.htm[/url]

Mine will consistently shoot in the .3's at 50 yards with PMC Scoremaster. This rifle should be somewhere in the $600-675 range and is worth every bit of that.

Trigger is adjustable down to 6 oz and can be fully adjusted from a crisp single stage do a very creepy two stage. It is an adult sized rifle with a heft of 9 lbs without a scope.

I absolutely love mine.

I'll make this bold statement. Do not waste your money on a 10/22 if you are looking for consistent repeatable accuracy. Buy an Anschutz bolt gun. The model 64MP offers the features of a much higher priced rifle.

Buy the action design alone I would question outrageous claims of repeatable accuracy from a 10/22.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 2:13:59 PM EDT
[#6]
It really does depend on if you want an accurate plinking gun or are you interested in a seriously accurate match rifle. But to those that doubt it, a 10/22T is very repeatable. Most people can't shoot well enough to get better groups with a match rifle. I suspect he's more interested in plinking type usage since he wants to use regular ammo as opposed to Gold Match or Tenex. That said, I'd go with a 10/22T since it comes with a bull barrel and an very good trigger right out of the box and can be had for around $300 new. Mine has shot 1/2" 10 shot groups at 50 yards with regular ammo and a cheapo Simmons scope.  Of course, your opinios may vary but are still valid, I guess.... [;)]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 2:45:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It really does depend on if you want an accurate plinking gun or are you interested in a seriously accurate match rifle. But to those that doubt it, a 10/22T is very repeatable. Most people can't shoot well enough to get better groups with a match rifle. I suspect he's more interested in plinking type usage since he wants to use regular ammo as opposed to Gold Match or Tenex. That said, I'd go with a 10/22T since it comes with a bull barrel and an very good trigger right out of the box and can be had for around $300 new. Mine has shot 1/2" 10 shot groups at 50 yards with regular ammo and a cheapo Simmons scope.  Of course, your opinios may vary but are still valid, I guess.... [;)]
View Quote

There's a long way from the repeatedly shooting in the .5's @ 50 and the .2's. I wholeheartedly agree there are some tweaked 10/22's out there that will shoot in the .5's all day long but in the .2's time after time? I want to see it done.

I have a 10/22 that I have tweaked. Volquartsen innards, Factory heavy barrel on a fajen thumbhole. It will shoot .5-.7 with an occasional group on either side of the mean but I highly doubt it will ever shoot in the .2's repeatedly regardless what I do to it. I have shot Eley, Lapua, Federal and various other premium brands. None would bring that rifle down in the .2's.

I'll offer a challenge. Anyone wants to come to my home club, Sabres in Lima, Ohio and shoot off the bench with a 10/22 Semi-Auto chambered in .22 long rifle and can shoot 10 5 shot groups in which the average group is no larger than .25 inches when measured outside to outside with .189 subtracted for caliber.

If anyone can beat the challenge I will fork over $100 and a brick of PMC Scoremaster.

I will even do it the easy way, we'll shoot the ten groups and use the average of all 10. That will allow for some of the groups to be over the .25 mark.

Generous fella, aint I?[:)]

Now what happens if you can't meet the challenge?

Nada, I will have shown another person my great club and possibly made a shooting buddy.

Any takers?

As far as buying the Ruger, why buy Ruger when for a mere pittance more you can own an Anschutz.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Any Anschutz. As mentioned, the 64MS would be a fine choice. A Sako Finnfire is also something to look at. The Ruger 77/22 is a fine rifle, but not in the same class as the above. Stay with a bolt action. Autos can be frustrating, and are more prone to "flyers".
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 2:56:33 PM EDT
[#9]
You should set your goal higher.

My $59 Romanian Model 1969 military training .22 shoots that well.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 3:13:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe keep your eyes peeled for a Model 52 that Winchester reintroduced a few years back.  I know I regularly cleaned the target shooting prone smallbore with my 52B in my younger days.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#11]
i shoot ir 50/50 benchrest. if you do not want to buy a full blown bench gun, then i would suggest a :

sako finnfire
cooper br 36 ,57, or ir 50/50
anschutz 1710

all are very accurate. i personally shoot coopers and love them.

[8D]

Quoted:
I'm looking for a .22LR rifle that can get 1" or less 10-shot groups using regular ammo (Remington T-22 or any CCI stuff) from a bench at 50 yards.

So far, I've looked at the Kimber .22s and the Ruger .22 Varmit (77/22 with 24" barrel) bolt-action rifle.  The Kimber sounds very nice from what I have been able to read about it, but I have been unable to find one close by to actually take a look at.  It also retails for around $730.  The Ruger bolt action seems to handle nicely (at least in the gun store), but I have no idea how accurate it is.  It is availabel for about $500.

Does anyone out there have experience with either of these guns?  or another .22 rifle that  is very accurate?
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 4:57:38 PM EDT
[#12]
try benchrest.com classified adds.
so very good rimfires there for sale.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 5:00:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

There's a long way from the repeatedly shooting in the .5's @ 50 and the .2's. I wholeheartedly agree there are some tweaked 10/22's out there that will shoot in the .5's all day long but in the .2's time after time? I want to see it done.

I have a 10/22 that I have tweaked. Volquartsen innards, Factory heavy barrel on a fajen thumbhole. It will shoot .5-.7 with an occasional group on either side of the mean but I highly doubt it will ever shoot in the .2's repeatedly regardless what I do to it. I have shot Eley, Lapua, Federal and various other premium brands. None would bring that rifle down in the .2's.
View Quote

Now Hooold on there, Bubbalouie!  The original post stated he wanted groups of 1" or less at 50 yards with standard ammo. I didn't say anything about .2" groups!!  I merely stated that my 10/22T can shoot .5's and it definately can, at least on a calm day. My abilities are definately its limit. .2" is truly match rifle country, meaning big bux for the rifle and for the ammo.

Still, I'd love to go shooting with ya sometime if'n I'm ever in the area.   [:D]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 5:12:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Well here's a lower price alternative.  I have a Marlin 880SQ with a Tasco 6-18X on top (yeah I know it's a damn Tasco) and it'll shoot .5 with Eley ammo.  Only thing I'd like to do to it is have the trigger slicked up some, and get rid of that damn Tasco.  I think I paid $212 for the rifle new.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a 77/22 and have been happy with it, it will shoot under 1" at 50 yards. They are going for about $389 new where I live. The main problem I have with it is the trigger, I would plan on spending about another $100 to get a decent trigger installed. I just got a remington 541 S custom but have not shot it yet.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Here's a true American made match rifle circa 1947, fully equal in accuracy to anything you can buy today:

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/033/V6/pE/rd/4E16244.jpg[/img]

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/003/20/Pr/Dj/4142882.jpg[/img]

Only problem with this rifle is it is completely custom made, which is how they had to do it back then for national and international level competition. None are available anywhere. It's based on a Springfield M2 action and was built at Aberdeen Proving Grounds.  This one has been to Perry on several occasions and did quite well.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 5:46:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for all the good input.  I am going to see if any of the gun stores here in Northern Virginia carry Anschutz.  If so, I'll see if there are any in my price range.

I have really enjoyed shooting my Bushmaster V-match from the bench, but I am going to have to give that up for a while.  I'm hoping that I can find a gun that's as fun to shoot and with luck, more accurate.  Cheaper would be a good thing too :-)
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#18]
My dad has a Browning lever action .22.  It shoots great.  We use it for bird control.  Most of the targets are about 1" in diameter, and the gun can kill them all accurately as far as you can see them.

The lever action is fun, and the cylinder will hold 15+ cartridges.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 6:00:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Here's a true American made match rifle circa 1947, fully equal in accuracy to anything you can buy today:

Only problem with this rifle is it is completely custom made, which is how they had to do it back then for national and international level competition. None are available anywhere. It's based on a Springfield M2 action and was built at Aberdeen Proving Grounds.  This one has been to Perry on several occasions and did quite well.  
View Quote

IIRC, that is your Grandfathers rifle. It truly is a beautiful rifle. I'm sure it shoots like a dream. An American classic to be sure.

Please do make arrangements if you can spare the time to c'mon over and shoot. I'd love to have ya. We have a fantastic facility.

I sometimes project what I think the shooter should want when I post. I do feel a bit sheepish going back and reading the 1" remark. It is with good intent that I recommend the model 64MP though as it truly is a superb rifle. I will try and read a bit more closely.[:)]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 6:06:33 PM EDT
[#20]
It was my father's. He had three of them and gave one to me and one to my brother, keeping one for himself that my other brother will get someday (hopefully not soon!). And FWIW, I too yearn for a top shelf rifle like an Anschutz. If I wasn't so tapped out from AR's, ammo, mags, sights, optics, ammo, and mags, I'd probably be looking to buy one. Maybe next year. I'm lucky in that I inherited a superb match rifle, but I don't take it out much for fear it would get scratched or something. A good modern rifle would let me leave the heirloom home permanently.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#21]
The best deal in the US is a $75.00 Mossberg M44. Please follow the attached link.

It is a WWII bull barrel bolt action .22 rifle. Mine will shoot 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch @ 50 yards with its preferred fodder. It was intended as a trainer and it stills fills this role. Great for learning how to use a peep sight, highpower competition.

If money is no object they also have new Kimber 82 for $600  

http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/caliber22.htm

In addition they have authentic M1 Garands ($500)

Paperwork is not as bad as it seems. You will also be saving these weapons from the "crusher"

Regards

ACK

Link Posted: 9/25/2001 7:56:53 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought a winchester model 94/22 traditional. I've owned many differant 22 rifles and this one is so on the money. It cost me about 335.00 on a deal, best damn little shooter I've owned, has a scope slide, but I shoot it with open sights. 50 yards is perfect for this little lever action, it come in three differant barrels,and for a little more there are ingraved versions, happy 22ing!
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 9:45:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Damn, I forgot about your M2!  I'd love to find one for less than 600 bucks.  I have a brand new-in-grease M2 bolt I want to build an action for.

I found an old Winchester model 52 for 300-odd bucks.  Looked like hell.  The stock was shortened an inch, and the barrel has a bad ring in it 10" down the barrel.  It still has the original bead front sight and the Enfield type flip-up rear ladder sight, and military trigger.  I cleaned it up, took a deep breath, and started shooting it for groups.

Damn it shot well!  With standard velocity ammo, I shot it as well prone as I can shoot any other .22 target rifle - and I have several very good ones.  As a bonus the sight graduations are on the money out to 200 yards.

I cleaned the stock with oven cleaner, and refinished it with reddish stain and linseed oil.  I scrubbed down all the fine rust from the metal with OOOO steel wool and oil.

With an old Turner military sling taken from my M1A the rifle is a real keeper.  It draws guys down from the other side of the range to admire it.

Moral of the story?  Beauty is more than skin deep.  .22's are hard to destroy unless natives or commercial fishermen get them.  Old and frayed doesn't always mean worn out.  

Cruise the pawnshops.  Sometimes the guys don't know what they have.  If they hang a tag on an item it is fair game.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top