Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 2/24/2007 7:33:39 PM EDT
 My GF & I were eating out lastnight and happend to be seated in a booth.  For the second time in a week we made the observation that when we sat with our backs to the back of the bench, that we had to stretch to reach our food on the table.  Both the bench and the table top were premanently mounted in place, so we couldn't move them closer together.  We're both over six feet tall, so our height is not the problem.  So the GF all of sudden says "I know why they are so far apart!  It's so that fat people can fit in here without their bellies pushing up against the edge of the table."

Anyone else ever make the same observation?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:39:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I know exactly what you are talking about.

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#2]
you got sumthin against fat people skippy?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:46:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I was sitting at the Olive Garden with about 7 friends after we had just done a large investor presentation and we were wrapping up and having some drinks, and the waitress comes over and whispers:

Her: "Could I have that chair, I don't think you need it."
Me: "Then where do I sit?"
Her: "I'll get you a brand new chair!"
Me: "Okay... sure."

Then I realized that my chair had no arms on it and what looked like thicker legs, then I saw the person who the chair was meant for.

I thought the seat was awfully roomy, I didn't realize I had sat in the "special" chair.

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:49:55 PM EDT
[#4]
So the question is do you think that all booths should be built to fit some of the people that dine at the places that you choose, or all of the people that dine at the places that you choose?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:52:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I thought the seat was awfully roomy, I didn't realize I had sat in the "special" chair.

OMFG!  
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So the question is do you think that all booths should be built to fit some of the people that dine at the places that you choose, or all of the people that dine at the places that you choose?

Well, like everything else in society it should be geared towards the lowest common denominator.

Just because fit or even average people will have to reach and hunch over like they are in a funhouse isn’t important.  And the notion of being able to move the table closer for non-walrus patrons?  Absurd.  Bolt them down spaced to accomodate Jabba the Hut.  After all, a tight fit might make one of these lumbering blobs actually think for a second that they are a bit on the heavy side.

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:54:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Just be glad they don't eat the place down to the carpet.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, like everything else in society it should be geared towards the lowest common denominator.

Just because fit or even average people will have to reach and hunch over like they are in a funhouse isn’t important.  And the notion of being able to move the table closer for non-walrus patrons?  Absurd.  Bolt them down spaced to accomodate Jabba the Hut.  After all, a tight fit might make one of these lumbering blobs actually think for a second that they are a bit on the heavy side.

I sense a bit of superiority in your tone.  Let me guess, you are thin or what passes for "healthy"? Good for you. Your fellow Americans that frequent the "all you care to eat for a buck ninteyfive" aren't just like you.  You are different.  Meaning, you are not like your fellow diners. The world does not turn around you as it's central axis. There is a whole nuther element in the equation and it's name is money.  More overweight people go to "all you care to stuff down your throat" places than do 'thin" people.  That is why the accomodations are as such.  It's simple demographics. Follow the money.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:08:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I sense a bit of superiority in your tone.  Let me guess, you are thin or what passes for "healthy"? Good for you. Your fellow Americans that frequent the "all you care to eat for a buck ninteyfive" aren't just like you.  You are different.  Meaning, you are not like your fellow diners. The world does not turn around you as it's central axis. There is a whole nuther element in the equation and it's name is money.  More overweight people go to "all you care to stuff down your throat" places than do 'thin" people.  That is why the accomodations are as such.  It's simple demographics. Follow the money.
But he feels he is better than those people, he even called them the "lowest common denominator".  So of course he feels the world should cater to his high and mighty self.

I've seen plenty of "overweight" people who have led long and healthy lives, enjoying every bite of it.  I have respect for that, people who enjoy their lives.  Who am I to say what the "right" way to be is?  Who are we to decide which weight is "right" and which weight makes you a low-life?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:10:54 PM EDT
[#10]
on behalf of all fat people, KISS OUR FAT ASS! same old stupid misconceptions and prejudices.i see you people when i walk in,running to the buffet ,afraid im gonna take it all. it hurts man,cant hardly eat fourths.......pricks!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You sensed that, did you?  That's very astute.

The tables should be free to move so fit or average people (or anyone else) can reach the table with ease.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:13:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Pics of 6'+ girlfriend?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But he feels he is better than those people, he even called them the "lowest common denominator".  So of course he feels the world should cater to his high and mighty self.

I've seen plenty of "overweight" people who have led long and healthy lives, enjoying every bite of it.  I have respect for that, people who enjoy their lives.  Who am I to say what the "right" way to be is?  Who are we to decide which weight is "right" and which weight makes you a low-life?

I'd like to be able to reach the table with ease.  I want the tables to be able to move freely rather than be bolted down with a ridiculous amount of space.

ETA: If you think they should be bolted down to accommodate fat people while fit or average people suffer, you're the one who wants to be catered to I guess.

But seriously...shouldn’t there be some clues out there for people?  In case the mirror didn't explain it clearly enough?  Like...not being able to fit in a booth, not being able to get in a car easily, not being able to fit on an airplane seat?
I mean, maybe these little reminders aren’t entirely bad.  Just in case they jar the person into suddenly noticing and actually giving a fuck about their condition.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Man I have always wondered this before, now it has finally dawned on me. Damn fat asses making it so I cant put my back against the booths.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:16:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's a reason why you almost never see anybody in retirement homes who are as morbidly obese as the average American Fatass.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#16]
No skinny person is ever going to file a law suit because they had to reach too far to their plate, and if they do, they would lose.

On the other hand...
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:17:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Went to a resort in Massanutten Mountains (Shenandoah Valley of Virginia) and was surprised when I sat in a dining room chair.  It was at least 20" across at the butt.    Big seat for big arses and it made me look like a child again.  BTW, they had a golf course, water slides and other things but I didn't avail myself to those amenities.  I visited Civil War sites instead like Lexington (Washington & Lee University and the tomb of Robert E. Lee, his family and Traveller, Virginia Military Institute which is the home of the Marshall Museum, Jackson's home and nearby tomb, Harrisonburg (where Turner Ashby was killed), Harper's Ferry (site of an armory and John Brown's Raid), Staunton, New Market Battlefield, etc.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:18:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd like to be able to reach the table with ease.  I want the tables to be able to move freely rather than be bolted down with a ridiculous amount of space.

ETA: If you think they should be bolted down to accommodate fat people while fit or average people suffer, you're the one who wants to be catered to I guess.
I don't care where they bolt the tables down and I don't care how much space their is, I'm not fat and I don't have some superiority complex like you.

I just wanted to point out how much of a holier than thou, high horse riding tough guy you are.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:20:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Pics of 6'+ girlfriend end?

+1

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:20:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OMFG!  

omfg... is there a organization for the rights of fat people yet????

I want to be the jesse jackson of fat people... look how well he did!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:20:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's a reason why you almost never see anybody in retirement homes who are as morbidly obese as the average American Fatass.
What does that mean???

Like I said, some people might rather live a good life than live a mediocre life and live a few years longer in a retirement home

It's all in that particular person's opinion, who are we to judge what is correct?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:21:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Nuther case of de mufuckin MAN holdin a brova down!  How a mufucka s'posed to achieve his maximun potential when the mufuckin man holdin a brova down?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:21:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't care where they bolt the tables down and I don't care how much space their is, I'm not fat and I don't have some superiority complex like you.

I just wanted to point out how much of a holier than thou, high horse riding tough guy you are.

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:22:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't expect anything more from you...
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:22:59 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Went to a resort in Massanutten Mountains (Shenandoah Valley of Virginia) and was surprised when I sat in a dining room chair.  It was at least 20" across at the butt.    Big seat for big arses and it made me look like a child again.  BTW, they had a golf course, water slides and other things but I didn't avail myself to those amenities.  I visited Civil War sites instead like Lexington (Washington & Lee University and the tomb of Robert E. Lee, his family and Traveller, Virginia Military Institute which is the home of the Marshall Museum, Jackson's home and nearby tomb, Harrisonburg (where Turner Ashby was killed), Harper's Ferry (site of an armory and John Brown's Raid), Staunton, New Market Battlefield, etc.

dont you wish you lived here like i do, [in the valley] and that chair is for me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:24:33 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OMFG!  

omfg... is there a organization for the rights of fat people yet????

I want to be the jesse jackson of fat people... look how well he did!
I think Oprah and Rosie O'Donnel are the Al Sharpton/Jesse Jackson of fat people
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:24:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just think that it's hilarious, even in this age of excuses, that someone might suggest being fit is not inherently better than being morbidly obese.

Oh, man..."high horse riding tough guy"...
Yeah, you have to be on a pretty fucking high horse to recognize that fitness is preferable to morbid obesity.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:25:56 PM EDT
[#28]
I am 6'5" 330 lbs.

Fat?      A little.

Fit in booths?     most of them.

If we were face to face would you call me a lumbering slob?       Probably not.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#29]
It seems to vary depending on the restaurant. Some are spaced way the hell back and some are so narrow Karen Carpenter would've had a tough time sliding in. The worst are the ones that are just plain fucked up. One side is two inches away and the other side is two feet. Of course the table is bolted to the wall so you can't adjust it.

My biggest gripe is the places with booths that were built by S&M freaks. Straight up and down backs, slanted seats, wood slats, etc...that all combine to make your ass numb and your back ache. What the fuck, over?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#30]
I thought this site was frequented by capitalists.  You'd think that such a group would understand a merchant tailoring their business to best serve the widest (no pun intended) group of people and trying to not exclude a certain group of paying customers.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:27:26 PM EDT
[#31]
If I see a fat person, I call them on it.

I yell, "BOOM bah bah BOOM" with their every step.  Hilarious!  
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I am 6'5" 330 lbs.

Fat?      A little.

Fit in booths?     most of them.

If we were face to face would you call me a lumbering slob?       Probably not.

same with me,im 6,3 280pounds, last guy that said something to me about being fat ,wound up eating my boot. im no tuff guy,just dont tolerate rude people.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:32:51 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I just think that it's hilarious, even in this age of excuses, that someone might suggest being fit is not inherently better than being morbidly obese.

Yeah, you have to be on a pretty fucking high horse to recognize that fitness is preferable to morbid obesity.
Who decides what's better?

Who decides what's preferable?

Apparently you decide it for the whole world, even the cultures that put the fat people as the upper class.

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:38:10 PM EDT
[#34]
I've sat in one of those bolted down restaurant booths and didn't fit.  There was barely a foot between the table edge and the back of the seat.  I'm fat but when my ribcage doesn't fit then there's something wrong.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who decides what's better?

Who decides what's preferable?

Apparently you decide it for the whole world, even the cultures that put the fat people as the upper class.

Well, in restaurants the fat people (or someone catering to them) seem to be deciding because it's awkward for a fit or normal person to reach the table in a booth (even a tall one).  That's why I'd prefer tables that can be moved to accommodate different sized people (which seems pretty fair and reasonable to me).
Otherwise, life decides what's preferable.  In the form of coronary artery disease, diabetes and all kinds of other conditions arising due to morbid obesity.

Chastise me for recognizing the difference between fit and fat all you like...nothing changes what morbid obesity does to the body.  I didn’t make it so; I just recognize it and admit it.

ETA: Cultures that put fat people as the upper class?  WTF?  Who gives a fuck.  Just curious...when you look at women do the fit ones catch your eye or the morbidly obese ones that can barely fit in a normal seat?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#36]
While you're probably right that it's made to accommodate those with a larger girth, it also may be to accommodate pregnant women.  My wife is a few days away from delivering, and we went out to the spaghetti factory a few days ago.  She had her belly almost right up to the table, and she doesn't poke out as much as many women that I've seen do.  Just something to think about...what came first, the pregnant lady, or the fatty?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:43:00 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And therein lies the crux of your complaint.  You NEED to feel better about yourself.  It takes the belittlement of fellow Americans to make you feel better about yourself.  If those fat people would just loose weight and look like me i would feel better about myself and my lot in life!  Get a clue. You are not perfect.  There will always be peple that keep score by income that think that they are better than you, or people that are smarter than you or faster than you.  I feel sorry for you and realize that that that will infuriate you.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:48:20 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:...
And therein lies the crux of your complaint.  You NEED to feel better about yourself.  It takes the belittlement of fellow Americans to make you feel better about yourself.  If those fat people would just loose weight and look like me i would feel better about myself and my lot in life!  Get a clue. You are not perfect.  There will always be peple that keep score by income that think that they are better than you, or people that are smarter than you or faster than you.  I feel sorry for you and realize that that that will infuriate you.

Well, I realize there are people faster every time I don't come in first in a race, whether it's snowshoe, mountain bike or an adventure race.  I am very well aware of the fact that there are faster, stronger, smarter people.  I go up against them routinely and it doesn’t affect my ego one bit.  Your assessment is wrong.
The thing is, I haven't taken that fact and used it as an excuse to let myself go and turn into a blob.  I use it as part of my motivation to strive.  That in conjunction with how physically and mentally good it feels to exercise/train, a desire to better myself and the sense of accomplishment that comes with training/working out/racing.
To feel sorry for me is silly.  I'd feel sorry for the people who have basically given up on themselves instead.  

ETA: Take your version and apply it to earning money.  Will you be the richest man in the world?  No?  Might as well go live in a cardboard box then, right?  WRONG.  Might as well find a job that challenges you and pays you what you are worth when you are performing at your best.
Just because you'll never be the richest man in the world shouldn't mean you just give up.  And just because there will be someone stronger, faster etc is no reason not to train.

But, shit man, we're not even talking about training and racing...we're talking about not becomeing morbidly obese.  That requires SO much less effort than being an athlete.  What possible excuse is there?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:14:04 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
While you're probably right that it's made to accommodate those with a larger girth, it also may be to accommodate pregnant women.  My wife is a few days away from delivering, and we went out to the spaghetti factory a few days ago.  She had her belly almost right up to the table, and she doesn't poke out as much as many women that I've seen do.  Just something to think about...what came first, the pregnant lady, or the fatty?

That's funny!!  That's exactly where we were eating lastnight!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:28:01 PM EDT
[#40]

Daz a huge bitch!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:30:27 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
www.wayodd.com/funny-pictures2/funny-pictures-super-fat-woman-0kK.jpg

Daz a huge bitch!

We can all agree with your statement.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:45:28 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.wayodd.com/funny-pictures2/funny-pictures-super-fat-woman-0kK.jpg

Daz a huge bitch!

We can all agree with your statement.

Yeah.  But she could probably still fit through the gap in the front teeth of her friend.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:55:00 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OMFG!  

Remember, that chair was sat in by people who are too fat to even wipe their own ass
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:59:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Please, please, please....

Put the "special seats" on jets!!!!

A couple of weeks ago, the woman sitting nest to spilled over both
armrests and into the sides of myself and the aisle passenger.

At least he had a free side!!
I was forced to take shallow breaths for 4 hours, cause I knew if I
took a deep breath, I would be constricted the rest of the way and
not be able to fully re-expand my lungs.

Then, while I acted like I was asleep, she kept the peanuts the attendant
asked her to pass down to me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:12:04 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

usually when your that fat, they make you buy two seats.and airline seat are not that wide to begin with.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:19:55 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

The big 'uns should pay for two seats since they take up that much space.  A big un once sat next to me and I could feel heat radiating off its body.  In all fairness, the big un folded its arms throughout the flight so there was no contact and practice good personal hygiene (didn't stink).  Thanks Big 'Un!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:29:09 PM EDT
[#47]
A business acquaintance of mine is 450+ pounds and is about 5' 4" tall.  Last week we went out for a business dinner to a nice restaurant in Scottsdale.  

All they had in the place was booths which "Chubby" can't fit into.  He asked for a chair.  Not just any chair but one with no arms - that's the only seat that can accommodate him.  They didn't have any chairs at all.  

So... we had to go to another restaurant.  

This isn't the first time that this has happened.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:33:05 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

....Who the hell gave you a Visa into Virginia from the PRC anyway. Must have been that damn Jim Webb.......Its just like you down trodden PRC people to come  to our fine gun friendly state and make fun of us. I live within a 45 min drive from most of the places you mentioned and I hope we got a lot of your money at the venues you mentioned. I also hope you carried your skinney ass back to the PRC where you belong. Damn fine thing to visit the Old Dominion and then poke fun at our fat asses. Shoot, we were just being nice in offering you the best chair in the house....
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:39:27 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The big 'uns should pay for two seats since they take up that much space.  A big un once sat next to me and I could feel heat radiating off its body.  In all fairness, the big un folded its arms throughout the flight so there was no contact and practice good personal hygiene (didn't stink).  Thanks Big 'Un!

LIKE IVE NEVER SAT DOWN IN A PUBLIC PLACE ,NEXT TO A SKINNY GUY THAT SMELLED LIKE ASS!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:47:54 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
If I see a fat person, I call them on it.

I yell, "BOOM bah bah BOOM" with their every step.  Hilarious!  

.....Do that to me and you would be calling through you ass the next time Bubba. No Joke.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top