Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2007 6:33:45 PM EDT
did you know that guy on the show is a Navy SEAL?
i bet he says it on every show!  (he may be i don't care)

what does bug me is the constant blow hard attitude.
does everything on the show have to be "super"
why is everyone who would fight someone with this weapon an absolute fool?  

i mean we have this 50# 20mm cannon that is tripod mounted.
yea it's cool but it's still bulky and looks like it requires batteries  
it can take out a sniper at long range and does not have a lot of collateral damage like other weapons (then they show stock footage of a howitzer firing).  get real!  you use a sniper to take out a sniper.  or a tank, TOW or a cluster bomb.  i would not select a 20mm automatic cannon.  but yea it would work.  

it's just another dumb show    
which is sad because it has a lot of potential to be a lot more!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#1]
He never really mentions he's a SEAL, like most of them. The show's alright, nothing special. I did see dude pop a target at over 2000 yards with no warm-up. That was pretty impressive.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
He never really mentions he's a SEAL, like most of them. The show's alright, nothing special. I did see dude pop a target at over 2000 yards with no warm-up. That was pretty impressive.

Say it after me...editing...

I'm sure Discovery channel checked this guys SF bonnie fides before hiring him, but the way he throws adjectives around for everything annoys the hell out of me.

Like the segement he did about the six shot 40mm grenade launcher, those have been around for years but he was going on like it was the best thing since sliced bread.

That being said, it's something to watch and does actually get some pretty cool footage of things in the pipeline. Beats a "King of Queens" rerun.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:44:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the show, if he didn't have a strong personality he wouldn't be on the show.  I mean they can't have some little mook be the show host
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:47:54 PM EDT
[#4]
One of the most annoying hosts on TV.  I really can't stand the show
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Say it after me...editing...

I'm sure Discovery channel checked this guys SF bonnie fides before hiring him, but the way he throws adjectives around for everything annoys the hell out of me.

Like the segement he did about the six shot 40mm grenade launcher, those have been around for years but he was going on like it was the best thing since sliced bread.

That being said, it's something to watch and does actually get some pretty cool footage of things in the pipeline. Beats a "King of Queens" rerun.

So you're saying that shot was edited (not that I really care other than it totally discredits the show)? The guy with him seemed pretty impressed.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:50:09 PM EDT
[#6]
We had another thread like this last week, An member/poster here called him "Baldo the Wonder SEAL"

It was pretty funny.

And I'm NOT calling D**E (rhymes with " loop ")
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:50:46 PM EDT
[#7]
It's TV not fucking boot camp or weapons training.  It's to make all the wannabees drool and run right to the recruiter.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:51:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm sure Discovery channel checked this guys SF bonnie fides before hiring him.

Sometimes I wonder about the Discovery Network...
Have you ever seen Man vs. Wild, with the "SAS-trained host" Bear Grylls?
That show is clearly filled with crap information.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:57:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It's TV not fucking boot camp or weapons training.  It's to make all the wannabees drool and run right to the recruiter.

yea i know  

i just wish they had one show for guys i that can think critically and see obvious inconsistencies or foolishness.  i don't expect it from the hunting shows or sitcoms but something like this should be different.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:00:03 PM EDT
[#10]
The show is ok. The drama in the monologue has a lot to do with the producers.
The show with the Hk416 kinda annoyed me. It came off more like an Infomercial for Hk. Bushmaster needs to do one now to advertise their gas piston AR's.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#11]
The Dragonskin segment almost had me rolling on the floor.

"It stopped the .223. It stopped the 7.62. IT EVEN STOPPED THE 9MM!"

Oh teh noes!1! It stopped teh ninez!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

In the intro it is mentioned that he was a SEAL for 10 years.

from discovery.com:
Richard "Mack" Machowicz's expertise with soldier craft and military hardware comes from his experience as a 10-year veteran of the U.S. Navy SEALs. During his service tenure, he participated in numerous tactical operations with SEAL Team ONE and TWO. While at SEAL Team TWO he was attached to the training cadre as the Leading Petty Officer of Land, Mountain and Arctic Warfare.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:25:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

from discovery.com:
Richard "Mack" Machowicz's expertise with soldier craft and military hardware comes from his experience as a 10-year veteran of the U.S. Navy SEALs. During his service tenure, he participated in numerous tactical operations with SEAL Team ONE and TWO. While at SEAL Team TWO he was attached to the training cadre as the Leading Petty Officer of Land, Mountain and Arctic Warfare.

My bad, there's the standard intro for credibility but he doesn't flaunt around his SEAL status. He's a high-intensity guy, I've heard him do some interviews and he's had a book out for some time. He's a little dorky on the show, but you just have to get past it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:31:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

from discovery.com:

My bad, there's the standard intro for credibility but he doesn't flaunt around his SEAL status. He's a high-intensity guy, I've heard him do some interviews and he's had a book out for some time. He's a little dorky on the show, but you just have to get past it.

A great deal of blame likely lies with the writers.

Machowicz should be calling them on obvious bullshit when he's doing voice-overs, though.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:31:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The Dragonskin segment almost had me rolling on the floor.

"It stopped the .223. It stopped the 7.62. IT EVEN STOPPED THE 9MM!"

Oh teh noes!1! It stopped teh ninez!

HAHAHA i was laughing the same way, he did that completely backwards, he shoulda gone 9mm, then .223, then 7.62.

instead he goes ass backwards and makes that part of the show completely hilarious.

the guy seems like a dick, but some of the stuff he brings up is interesting, Including the Dragon Skin!, i want a complete suit made of that shit.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:33:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Agreed. He's probably not wanting to rock the boat too much so he can play with fun toys and make that paper.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:35:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Actually it was a target at 2500 yrds with the Barrett 419, he was 6 inches low but right on target.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:35:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Say it after me...editing...plus the barret representative sighted the scope in for him

Fixed it
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:39:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I think most of yall are jealous. I would love to have been in a high speed low drag unit for ten years then be a host on a TV series where you do nothing but show military hardware in action.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:40:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I respect the guy but He sucks as the host.  

He like whispers " this is the most destructive such and such I've ever seen"...  He's too dramatic... way over the top.

I'd like the show if it weren't for his over dramatization.  when I watch the show I put it on mute... it helps
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:40:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I watched one episode, saw him claim the AK-47 shoots .308/7.62x51 NATO and quit watching.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:40:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually it was a target at 2500 yrds with the Barrett 419, he was 6 inches low but right on target.

Yeah, quite impressive. Would have been a very "WTF" moment for the guy who got gutshot.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I watched one episode, saw him claim the AK-47 shoots .308/7.62x51 NATO and quit watching.

For some reason a lot of SEAL operators aren't really gun guys, but you figured someone could've figured that one out.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:46:11 PM EDT
[#24]

I respect the guy but He sucks as the host.

He like whispers " this is the most destructive such and such I've ever seen"... He's too dramatic... way over the top.

I'd like the show if it weren't for his over dramatization. when I watch the show I put it on mute... it helps

At times yes, it does get annoying, but I look at it this way. I rather have him over a monotoned dorky wanna military nerd guy. To bad we all cant have a Gunny Highway voice.

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:47:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I want a cage match with the "wonder seal" and "bear" grills.

My money is on the SEAL.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:06:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Its a TV show and its all it is. It sure beats watching American Idol or some crap like that. Its not like we can sit around and watch "red Dawn", "heat" or "Dawn of the dead" all night.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:07:22 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Its a TV show and its all it is. It sure beats watching American Idol or some crap like that.

That pretty much sums it up.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 12:52:55 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the rifle was a Barrett .416. I talked with Barrett on the phone recently and also with one of their distributors about it. They are first planning on taking the model 99 and using it as the first available model that will use the .416 round. After that I was told we could see them bring the .416 into the model 82A1/M107. When I talked with the distributor about it he told me "two more weeks" and it should be in hand.
Honestly they (the Distributor) has been waiting to see this for about a year plus. When I inquired with Barrett about the going price for the ammo I was quoted $395.00 for their box of 80 rds. You can all do the math on that one.

Looks like a nice rifle for those who can afford it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:37:25 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Its a TV show and its all it is. It sure beats watching American Idol or some crap like that. Its not like we can sit around and watch "red Dawn", "heat" or "Dawn of the dead" all night.

Red Dawn of the Dead Heat.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:01:09 PM EDT
[#30]
New Episode on starting now for those who care.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:47:04 PM EDT
[#31]
I want a Mark 48 in semi auto
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Yea but the USMC recently bought 6000 of them, which is the first large scale military purchase...so they are new to the US Military.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:35:49 PM EDT
[#33]
The show would be a lot better with a different host.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top