Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2007 6:02:29 PM EDT
anybody on here do any?  i was thinking about getting started doing some kayaking for leisure/exercise/something my wife and i can do together WITHOUT THE BOY!!!  haha, anyway-does anyone have any tips on getting started?  ins and outs on gear?  that kinda stuff.  any help would be appreciated.

jake
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:11:42 PM EDT
[#2]
see thing is i don't know that there is anyone around here that does classes or rents them out.  i've got to ask around.  good to know i'm not the only arfcommer thinkin' about this.

jake
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:19:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends what your gonna do with it.  Different types for different "stream".  I would say go and rent some and see what you like.  I like sit-ins while most of my friends like sit-ons.  Personal preferance.  

I'm not a rapid shooter and I've never did any "touring" trips, mainly just rivers.  Been in a few close calls though. (went down the wrong fork in the river, lost a shirt, water bottle, and a cooler with a six pack was a hell of a ride though)  
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:30:12 PM EDT
[#4]
yeah, see we've got some slow muddy rivers around here and smaller lakes and stuff like that.  there's a river here called the Sangamon that has sand bars all the way down it.  it gets pretty shallow in spots, so much so when we're runnin' bank lines in a jon boat we have get out and walk it.  i've had some fun adventures just goin' down the river in the jon boat and campin' out on sand bars, whichever one we want-there's not a soul around.  i thought it'd be cool for me and the ole lady to do that in kayaks.  i was kind of thinkin' about this one for me. here

i don't know about her-anway, just a thought i've been entertaining.

jake
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:34:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:49:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an Old Town Loon 138. It's pretty big but tracks well and holds a ton of stuff. I mainly fish out of it.

This is a good site with lots of reviews.
www.paddling.net/
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:23:54 PM EDT
[#7]
From the water you describe you do not want a whitewater kayak.  You would like a touring kayak, and probably even a sit-on-top kayak.  The plastic sit-on-tops  track well and are very stable so you can just get on it and enjoy with no special skills needed.  They are not expensive and fun.  
I have a couple of kevlar touring kayaks and while I just use them on inland waters they are overkill, but sweet.  Spend some money on paddles if you can, the lighter swing weight on the blades is what you are buying and makes it nice after hours of moving that weight.  Overall paddle weight is not as important as swing weight.  
But ignoring the above, you will still have fun!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:32:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Can I suggest renting some and trying them to find one you like.  Also if your wife is like my mom Hobbie makes one with paddling fins on the bottom with peddles for your feet and it can propell you faster than most can paddle.  Something to check out.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:59:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Check out the western Michigan coastal kayakers association. Some tend to look down on "recreational boats" (no bulk heads, $200-$400), but many agree that the best boat is the one you get on the water.  They have a symposium on memorial day weekend that is excellent for picking up basic to advanced skill sets (basic strokes, navigation to rolls) They do not rent boats at the symposium so make arrangements to bring or rent one. They do have demos that can be used at times.  

If you cannot make it ti MI. call a local paddling shop and get some basic instruction to build on, start collecting some  paddling strokes, rescue and self rescue techniques. Have a blast.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:31:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:59:59 PM EDT
[#12]
so if i got this straight-a longer kayak more suited for touring is what i'd need for calmer/easier goin' rivers?  also, what's the deal with this spray skirt?  what the hell is this used for?  thanks for the help guys.  i'm gettin' a hell of a lot more of guidance here than reading by myself.

jake
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:45:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:47:05 PM EDT
[#14]
The skirt is to keep the cockpit sealed when you are upside down before you roll back up, and to keep water out in general.

Look for a local paddling club - they usually have a annual clinic/class that is dirt cheap - and it is usually in the spring.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I've done some canoe camping but now I have a 'yak.

Mine isn't a fancy whitewater boat or anything; it's an Old Town Loon 111.  I have done mild rapids in it and a fair amount of flatwater.  It's kind of a compromise all around but I'm really happy with it.  I have the spray skirt for it and you really want that when you play in rapids.
There is enough room behind the seat to put a medium sized pack so you can camp out of it.  It's pretty cool, especially for the price.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:53:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:54:07 PM EDT
[#17]
First think about the rype of water you will be kayaking in.  I kayak in the gulf and in the bay so open kayaks are fine for me because when I flip over i need an easy getaway instead of being dragged by rolling waves.  I have 3 Ocean kayaks.  It can be a real work out sometimes and waves will flip you over and wtfpwn you.  Its alot of fun most of the time
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:00:10 PM EDT
[#18]
What do you guys think of the foot peddle powered kayaks that are available today, I saw a guy fishing in one (Salt water fishing) & he said he loved it, Much easier to operate than using a paddle.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:03:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
What do you guys think of the foot peddle powered kayaks that are available today, I saw a guy fishing in one (Salt water fishing) & he said he loved it, Much easier to operate than using a paddle.

Foot controlled rudder is cool.

Foot powered?  Not so cool for me.  Most of my sports are "leg sports" like mtn biking, trail running, inline skating, snowshoeing, bc skiing, snowboarding etc.  Kayaking is one of my few chances to do mainly upper body stuff.
If you want leg sports there are plenty.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:10:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Well here is my side of how to get started...

First find a friend that works in an Outdoors store that has Kayaks, (the gear you want) and ask if they would buy it for you.  With your money!  The store i work at, we get 10% over cost... so i get abou 45-55% off on anything in the store.  So for say you wanted a $1,200 kayak i could get it for about $600.  Hell i'd give somebody $200 to get a deal like that.

OR

Go to oudoor store and look for the "for sale" wall.  Just about every outdoor store i've been in has one... it's full of like new boats, bikes, dogs, cars, gear.

That being said... it depends on what type of boat you want.  If your going to be going down class 3 rapids i'd get a "fun yak"  the smaller boats that hold you and a lunch.  

If your looking for more of a "lazy river" kayak then i'd get one of the longer ones with enough room for camping gear.        Or a "Sea kayak"  which is very long and narrow, and has a rutter.

Just about all the kayaks that are more expensive are better.  And don't forget to save some money on dry bags, paddle, skirt, dry suit, life jacket....
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:31:53 PM EDT
[#21]

This is Texas river kayaking.  The people who do this every weekend and have for decades all use sit in kayaks or canoes.  Preceptions Sundance 9.5 is a very popular river boat as is the Swifty 9.5.  These are light boats and are easy to put on top of the car.  

If I turn over my Sundance 9.5 it will take on 500 lb of water but you can stand up many places in our rivers, out in the middle of a lake is different.  I do scuba and snorkeling so getting out of a boat and back in when I can't touch the bottom is very important to me.  I'll sell the Sundance and get a Malibu 2 XL.  The kayakers don't get out of the boat to do mask and snorkel but that's a big deal to me.  

A friend and I went to a demo-day in Austin and paddled most of the sit on top kayaks.  Some turned easily but did not track well.  Some tracked well but couldn't turn worth a darn.  A boat named "The Ride" seemed best to me and my friend.  The Malibu 2 XL seemed second best to me with respect to tracking, turning and ease of paddling.  Both boats were easy to re-enter when you could not touch the bottom.  Both were very close in performance.  Some boats that were supposed to be very stable turned over easily.  Some feel unstable but actually are.  They rock quite a bit but don't go all the way over.  "The Ride" hardly rocks and is made so you can stand up.  

There are three seats in a Malibu 2 XL, the middle is used for solo paddling.  The Sundance can carry an amazing amount of stuff, one guy carries a lawn chair.  (We stop for lunch and maybe some wine and cheese.)  But it can't carry scuba gear, a Malibu 2 XL can.  The Malibu can carry the GF or wife.  It's a lot heavier than a Sundance.  I use a carpet reminant on the hood or trunk and a second on the 'brow' to slide the kayak up onto the top of the vehicle.  

Add the cost of a skirt and pump to the cost of a sit-in boat but not a sit-on.  Also add the cost of flotation inserts, that take away the space for your gear, to the cost of a sit-in.  Maybe the sit-in kayakers are right but they don't do the things I do.  

Let us know what you get and how it works out.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:35:37 AM EDT
[#22]
hey, i really appreciate the input and pics guys.  thanks a lot.

jake
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:19:12 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

This is Texas river kayaking.

~snip~

Man that looks like a nice senic river
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
photokayak.fit2paddle.com/misc/great-white-shark-kayak.jpg

What pistol or revolver caliber would be good white shark medicine?
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 4:52:00 PM EDT
[#25]
I want a kayak but everytime I get into researching it I remember I live in the heart of gator country.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#26]
I mainly use a kayak to fish from, I've even taken them to offshore rigs for snapper and kingfish.. (about three miles)

I have a Perception Napali.  It's a fairly fast boat for a sit-on-top,(SOT) 16 feet with a rudder.  It is far too much boat for  simple river trips, but I can cover 10 miles in a day in the back bays.   Keep in mind, the longer the hull the easier it will be to paddle and keep straight, especially in a crosswind or chop

If you are in any sort of cold water enviroment Id suggest a sit-in (SINK).  In a SOT your butt is perpetually wet.

It's been mentioned, but needs to be stressed again. Get the lightest paddle you can, and a PFD that allows you the biggest freedom of movement while seated.

Lastly, don't get fixated on kayaks.  You may find a canoe fits your family needs better.

Take a look at this link: http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum

They have a pretty extensive "how to get started" forum.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:32:56 PM EDT
[#27]
you guys talk about these paddles-what do you have/recommend?  i'm just gonna be small, slow river/small lake paddlin'.  what do you recommend?

jake
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:37:32 PM EDT
[#28]
tag
I've been thinking of getting one
there's a nice large creek/small river that the bike path here follows that would be great for a canoe or kayak
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:13:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Hobie makes the "Mirage" ; foot-powered.  Tried it a couple months ago and would dearly like one ... WITH a sailing kit also.  Pedaling was the way to go except when you want to maintain position or back up. Then the paddle comes into play. Every other time we pedaled.  If you've got a purist streak, I recommend you do not try one.
My 2c.

Stay safe
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:50:13 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Hobie makes the "Mirage" ; foot-powered.  Tried it a couple months ago and would dearly like one ... WITH a sailing kit also.  Pedaling was the way to go except when you want to maintain position or back up. Then the paddle comes into play. Every other time we pedaled.  If you've got a purist streak, I recommend you do not try one.
My 2c.

Stay safe

Somebody say sailing kit?  With a little ingenuity and internet research you can build your own:

I tend to have more use for a canoe due to the loads and distances we cover when we paddle.  My main issue with a kayak is being forced into essentially one position while paddling.  That said, use the interet or phone book to find a local paddling shop.  Most have demo days or rentals to try out the various gear.  Buy the best gear you can afford at the time.  You will have it for a long time and enjoy it more when it is better stuff.  I don't care what you paddle.   I just want to see you out there.

Here's the completion of last years trip.  Taking out on the N. shore of L. Superior in somewhat rough conditions:

This is one of the cases where a touring kayak and the skills to roll would very comforting.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:55:06 AM EDT
[#31]
it depends how much you want to spen.  You can buy a low ened one at around $800 up to about $3000.  You will need a kayak, paddle, lifejacket, and a spray skirt to get started.  Go to your local REI or Gander mountain type store and ask around.  REI will be better.  Also you can try google and see iff their is any kayak shops around you.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:08:40 AM EDT
[#32]
I've got the Old Town Dirigo 14'
I LOVE KAYAKING!!!!!......
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:09:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top