Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2001 11:46:42 AM EDT
I am looking at a HK USP Compact in .357 Sig and need a little "push" to make the purchase.  

Anyone have opinions they would like to share on the HK USP Compact in general and the .357 Sig specifically?

How does it compare it to other manufacturers' compacts, Glock 19/23/33, Walther P99, Sig 228, etc.?

Comments on the .357 Sig round are welcome too.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 11:57:14 AM EDT
[#1]
The HK is a good gun, but expensive. How does it feel in your hand compared to the other pistols you mentioned? Remember the controls will be in different locations on most of the guns you mentioned. Pick the one you can manipulate the easiest. Glocks are very popular and cheaper. They also shoot great.I would buy the one that fit my hand the best and had the controls I desired. (decocking vs. none)
Not to many people I know use the .357 sig. Most are getting their handguns in .40 s&w or .45acp.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 12:03:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a usp fullsize and compact, both in .45.  The compact fits my hand like no other pistol I have ever shot(and thats alot) thats not to say that the fullsize is too big, just "different"
The quality and reliability are top notch. well worth the money IMO.
SPECTRE out....
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The HK is a good gun, but expensive. How does it feel in your hand compared to the other pistols you mentioned? Remember the controls will be in different locations on most of the guns you mentioned. Pick the one you can manipulate the easiest. Glocks are very popular and cheaper. They also shoot great.I would buy the one that fit my hand the best and had the controls I desired. (decocking vs. none)
Not to many people I know use the .357 sig. Most are getting their handguns in .40 s&w or .45acp.
View Quote

I currently have, or have had, some of the other guns I mentioned.  The USP feels good and I like the controls.  .357 Sig is not my first choice but the gun is used and at a pretty good price ($475 w/3 mags) and is ANIB.  I personally favor 9mm Para and .45 ACP over the .40 S&W.  I have owned .40 S&W but did not like the round much.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 12:25:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Friend of mine swears the 40S&W USP Compact
is the best shooting civilian USP.
Another is now in possess of a 40S&W USP Inox Compact but has not shoot it already.
At 1st sight, it is well finished, more expensive than a compact Glock and also a little bulkier, which applies to every USP compared to the nearest in size/caliber Glock.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 12:32:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Haven't shot the USP C much, but the fit for my medium sized skinny hands is very good.  Initially I never would have considered a compact over the full size because of the bushing buffer system, and simple prejudice.  

At this point the only reason why I like the full better than the C is that I would feel more comfortable firing .45 Supers out of the full using the right components.  

BTW, I don't know how the USP-C holds up to .357 SIG, but I would think that it would do as well as anything else out there.  The round sounds pretty hot The round seems to be gaining a good reputation as an very  effective round.  

$475 for LNIB and 3 mags?  GO FOR IT!!!!!

You might pose the question to

www.hkpro.com in the pistol section of the forums.  Nice bunch of people there, and they don't get all whacked out talking about the M17 ;)
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 12:43:04 PM EDT
[#6]
My son has one in .40. Great gun
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 12:47:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a USP compact stainless in .40 S&W. The accuracy was a little disappointing but otherwise a great gun.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I own a pair of USP's (albeit full size in .40S&W); that should tell you something about what I think of H&K pistols. In terms of reliability, durability, etc., they are second to none.

A couple of thoughts to consider:

Do YOU like the way it feels & shoots? This is probably the most important consideration.

Is .357SIG your choice for a reason? It's clearly a good round but availability and choices for loadings can become an issue. A good friend of mine has a Colt Commander in .38 Super -- a great gun for a great round, if he can ever find ammo for it.

I've had a hell of a time getting stuff for my pistols (holsters, spare mags, etc.). The world of gun accessories seems much more Glock-centric. But I knew that going into this & bought a pair anyway. Just be aware of this.

Link Posted: 9/25/2001 12:54:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a USP Compact in .40 as well, yet mine is quite accurate. I love the darn thing with only one exception: I'm really not too fond of the magazine release.

Oh, well. Nothing's ever perfect!
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 12:56:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Hi handgun, I have the HK USP .45F, USP .40F and a custom .357 sig barrel by Jarvis that drops right into the .40F. I know you where asking about the compact but I'll give you my opinion based on the full sized models. First off the price you quoted is great. I paid $500 for my stainless USP .40 NIB with 2 mags. In my experienses the compact series has less grip stipling than the full size which is a plus if you have sensitive hands. Now onto the .357 sig round. It recoils more than my .40 and way more than my .45. The .45 is a slow push on recoil where the .357sig is like a canned snake coming out of one of the gag cans. The .357 sig round is a great performer and pretty fun, if you reload it is a little more difficult to do compared to straight walled pistol cases. I'd say go for it. If you decide you don't like the caliber just buy a .40 barrel and it will drop right in and off you go.

email me at [email protected] if you have any questions
idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 1:02:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I would stay away from .357 caliber if You are looking for ammo availability everywhere.
I do not like much the .40 csliber, either,
even if I found it a little more in precision terms than 9mm, but less than .45.
Another friend of mine owns a Sig pistol in .357
and, with reloads, shoots it very very well.
But, assume he is no cheap reloader neither a cheap shooter for he accounted for many private guards competitions victories and top placements.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 1:06:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There weren't a whole lot of .357s brought into the country...
View Quote

They are still being imported, aren't they?
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 1:06:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Bad thing with USP Compact is no hi-caps.  I'm a G23 fan (Glock), I can switch to 9mm or .357 Sig (though I'm a diehard .40 fan) and use both mid size or full size hi-caps.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 1:31:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I love my UPSC .40, the .357 is the exact same gun except for the barrel. As stated earlier, all you need is a replacement barrel to go to either caliber. Mags are the same.

It just feels really good in my hands and is fairly accurate too. It is quite a bit smaller in all dimensions when compared to a full sized USP. And it is very comfortable to wear in a shoulder harness. Believe it or not, that little tactical light HK offers fits nicely on the USPC. It takes away quite a bit of muzzle flip too.

When all this terrorist crap went down, it was the USPC that I went to first.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 3:07:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I have an USPc in 9mm, great gun. Easy to maintain. Accurate out of the box, shoots anything I feed it.

The only gripe I have the mags have two rounds less than its full size partner 13 instead of 15.

Two thumbs up
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 3:10:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 3:12:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 3:27:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bad thing with USP Compact is no hi-caps.

View Quote

There's just no pre-bans...
View Quote

Exactly what I meant.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 3:31:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Honestly, I didn't care for my USP40c.  I didn't shoot it well, the stipling on the grip was too sharp for bare hands, and it had a crappy trigger.  The gun was quite reliable, however.

I traded it for a Sig 226 in 40.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I love my compact.  Mine is chambered in 40S&W.  It is far superior to the Glock's, Walthers Etc.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#22]
the usp compact is a quality pistol. there are a few as good, but none better. the 357 sig cartridge happens to be my favourite. lots of power and range for a semi auto, not too hard to reload, and the bottle necked case assists the chambering process. i have a sig in .357, and a compact in .45. both are excellent. a compact in .357 would be sweet. get one. you know you need it. [:D]
willy
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 3:43:45 PM EDT
[#23]
I have the .40 compact and it's one of my favorites in that size. Fits the hand well and is great to shoot. And it looks great. In some way I like it over my Glock 23.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 3:46:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I have smaller hands, and the Compact fits well. If you buy it do yourself a favor and put a Hogue handall slipover grip on it. My HK has never hiccupped with the shittiest surplus ammo or the best "caviar" from CorBon or Similar. I have had Glocks and Sigs, both good guns but nowhere near the functionality or IMO quality of the HK.
"People who Know, use H&K"
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 4:17:18 PM EDT
[#25]
I totally agree PitViper, but for some people the Glock is preferable because it's idiot proof.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 4:30:09 PM EDT
[#26]
[b]
Quoted:

When all this terrorist crap went down, it was the USPC that I went to first.
View Quote
[/b]

Were you counting on bringing down a Jumbo Jet thus preventing further attacks with that thing?
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 4:31:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Have owned a compact .40 for over 2 years now with zero failures of any type.

It is utterly reliable and very user friendly.........actually my wife scarfed it up for her self.

I have had the pleasure of firing the USP-C in 40 and 9mm, as well as the Tactical version and the huge Mark 23 with a Knights suppressor.

I wish I could own them all.

you would be well armed and well prepared with any USP version IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 4:55:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Were you counting on bringing down a Jumbo Jet thus preventing further attacks with that thing?
View Quote

Nope, I got a FAL for that. :) The pistol was just in case there were simultaneous acts of terror on the ground. It just fits better in my backpack too. I live and work about 7 miles N of Downtown LA.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 5:01:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope, I got a FAL for that. :) The pistol was just in case there were simultaneous acts of terror on the ground. It just fits better in my backpack too. I live and work about 7 miles N of Downtown LA.
View Quote

[size=4]COOL[/size=4]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 5:07:57 PM EDT
[#30]
I have owned the full size USP .45, and then switched to the USP .45C. I really love this gun! I have never had a malfunction with either of them. I think that the .357SIG is a great defensive round (I own a SIG P229 in .357).

This sounds like a GREAT deal - I wouldn't pass it up.

Tyler
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 8:03:57 PM EDT
[#31]
I have an HK USP .40 stainless.  And wow, what a hand gun it is.  I suspect i have about 1200 to 1800 rounds through it.  NO failures at all what so ever.  I am now thinking of buying another HK only a compact 9mm.  Almost purchased one last month.  I didnt cause i did not like the price all ($800).  Gonna check out a gunshow this weekend.  With HK, you CANT go wrong (in my opinion).
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 8:38:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Dirk Diggler on this site and I both purchased a pair of compact USP .45's at the same time.  I love mine, and find it a great counterpart to my sub 9mm Glock.  The feel w/the extended grip magazine is great, but w/my wide palms the mag w/out the extension just doesn't have enough purchase for comfort in stress fire situations.

Overall I would say both my full size 40 USP and Compact .45 have been two of the most reliable and foolproof pistols I have used.

As far as the .357 Sig goes, you are on your own......
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 9:11:05 PM EDT
[#33]

If the .357 SIG isn't your first choice then HOLD OFF.

Wait until the gun comes along that's what you want.

If you're looking for a 9mm then just wait for it and keep your eyes open.  Buying a 357 SIG isn't going to make you any happier when you want to have some standardized ammo.

I waited a year before I finally came across my USP-C in 9mm.  Private sale - purchased for $550 ANIB!

"Patience is a virtue"

Link Posted: 9/26/2001 5:22:51 AM EDT
[#34]
I own a full-size USP in .40 and prefer it over the Glocks I have owned anyday. I have also owned several Berettas, Sig, Glock, and many 1911 variants.

I actually want about five more USP's because it's the best gun I have owned in terms of reliability, accuracy, and build quality.

My wife loves to shoot it too so that helps.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 4:37:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Thank you all for your replies.

Anyone else have anything to say?

Any negatives?

Is the USP Compact really that much more accurate than other compacts?
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 5:00:08 PM EDT
[#36]
As others have mentioned, USP Compact is an excellent gun. I have the .40c, and it has never malf'ed. I think the best part of the USP series guns in the ability to carry in your most comfortable mode.(cocked & locked, hammer down on-safe or hammer down off-safe.)
Price is pretty good. I paid $635 for HE finish in Variant 2 (lefty)
For cheaper and more plentiful ammo, I would buy a factory .40 barrel. (mags are interchangeable)
HTH

40BOY
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top