World News Link

Fox News Link

It's official: Mexican trucks coming
100 companies will have unlimited access to U.S. roads

Posted: February 23, 2007
2:41 p.m. Eastern

By Jerome R. Corsi
© 2007 WorldNetDaily.com

One hundred Mexican trucking companies will have unlimited access to U.S. roads to haul international cargo as part of a year-long pilot program, the Department of Transportation announced today
In return, 100 U.S. trucking companies will be allowed to operate in Mexico but at a later date.
Calling for congressional hearings, Teamsters General President Jimmy Hoffa compared the announcement to the "Dubai Ports debacle," charging President Bush is "playing a game of Russian roulette on America's highways."
As WND previously reported, the Teamsters Union has strongly protested the opening up of U.S. highways to Mexican trucks, citing safety concerns.

A spokesman for Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash., chairman of the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Transportation, Housing and Urban Development and Related Agencies, told WND the senator plans to hold hearings March 8 on the DOT pilot program.
A statement from Murray's office said she wants "to find out if the administration has really met the safety requirements that the law and the American people demand before long-haul Mexican trucks can travel across all our highways."
A spokeman from the office of Rep. James Oberstar, D-Minn., chairman of the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, told WND hearings will most likely be held by Subcommittee on Highways and Transit, chaired by Rep. Peter DeFazio, D-Ore.
Both Oberstar and DeFazio are traveling today and a spokesman from Oberstar's office said the lawmakers have not had a chance yet to confer, so no hearings have yet been scheduled.
Oberstar and DeFazio have posted statements on the homepage of the House Transportation and Infrastructure raising questions about DOT's proposed Mexican truck pilot program.
Todd Spencer, spokesman for the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association, told WND that "to reach a conclusion that the safety regime in Mexico is compatible in any way, shape, or form with what we have here in the U.S. is ignoring reality. Mexico has never had hours-in-service regulations or drug testing of drivers. We still can't verify the accuracy of somebody's Commercial Driver’s License in Mexico for safety or compliance."
Spencer stressed the decision is not just a border decision.
"Once Mexican trucks are in the United States on this pilot program, they can operate everywhere in the U.S.," Spencer told WND. "If some state highway policeman in Vermont or Iowa stops a Mexican commercial truck in their state, they have absolutely no idea of deciding if that vehicle is in compliance with federal safety requirements. Who's going to provide the training or the equipment for state police to verify the legality of a commercial truck from Mexico, in terms of its cargo, its haul, its log book, or even the driver? Local police aren't going to have a clue."
Hoffa cited Mexico's inability to satisfy the DOT Inspector General's requirements for safety that have been mandated to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, or FMCSA.
WND previously reported applications of some 678 Mexican motor carriers seeking long-haul authority to operate about 4,000 vehicles was being held up pending the completed DOT Inspector General's review of proposed FMCSA rules regarding safety reviews for Mexican trucks seeking to operate in the U.S., including rules for on-site safety inspections in Mexico.
The DOT spokesman also affirmed to WND the FMCSA has now drafted regulations that the DOT Inspector General has accepted, after an audit of the enforcement mechanisms and regulations the FMCSA created.
The Teamsters Union posed to WND a series of "unanswered questions," including:

* Will the drivers be checked against the terror watch list, or will our borders be open to anyone with a Mexican driver's license?
   * Will the drivers be required to carry a Mexican passport as U.S. citizens are required to present their passports when entering the country from Mexico?
   * Will all U.S. standards be applied to Mexican drivers, including the requirement that U.S. drivers undergo regular physicals and meet minimum age requirements?
   * Will Mexican truck drivers participating in the pilot program be required to undergo drug and alcohol testing in U.S. labs? Who will oversee the collection of random samples for drug and alcohol testing of the Mexican drivers while they are in the U.S.?
   * Will U.S. wage and hour laws be enforced for Mexican drivers during the pilot program? How will DOT enforce hours of service rules and prevent false log books and fatigued drivers from entering the U.S.?
   * How can DOT assure the U.S. public that all trucks will be inspected by U.S. officials in Mexico and at the U.S. border when fewer that 10 percent of all Mexican trucks entering the commercial zone are inspected today?

According to a DOT spokesman, the pilot program "is predicated on the notion that Mexican trucks operating in the U.S. under the pilot program will operate pursuant to every single requirement that pertains to U.S. trucks operating in the United States, including both safety and security requirements on both the state and federal level."
DOT has increased its inspection staff by some 270 inspectors to implement the program. Still, DOT plans to continue the on-site inspection activities in Mexico that were announced by DOT Secretary Mary Peters earlier this week in Monterrey, Mexico.
The DOT spokesman confirmed there is no limit to the number of trucks the 100 Mexican trucking companies can operate in the United States. There is no restriction on the roads within the United States that the Mexican trucks can travel once they are admitted in the pilot program at the border.
The Mexican trucks, however, will be limited to carrying international cargo, in that they will be prohibited from stopping at one point in the U.S. destined for another point within the country.
On their return home, Mexican trucks, however, will be allowed to pick up in U.S. cargo originating in the U.S. destined for delivery back to Mexico.
While in the U.S., the Mexican drivers will operate under U.S. rules and regulations, including those controlling hours of time allowed at the wheel without a break.
The DOT spokesman specified that under agreements with Mexico already in effect, Mexican and U.S. commercial driver's licenses will be consider equivalent during the pilot program.
Mexican trucks operating in the United States will be required to have U.S. insurance coverage for all liabilities, including traffic accidents.
"The intent is for the Mexican trucking operations in the U.S. to be indistinguishable from U.S. trucking operations," the DOT spokesperson affirmed, "except that the driver and the truck began their trip in Mexico."
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:26:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Bad brakes, bad tires, no driver sleep, no insurance, etc. etc.

Nope, nothing bad can come from this decision..............    
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:26:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Logistical support for the invasion.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:30:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:31:41 AM EDT
[#4]
jimmy hoffa?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:33:20 AM EDT
[#5]
This will be interesting to say the least.  I'm a teamster memeber and driver.  Everything we've learned of this is bad; equipment, lack of sleep, drugs, drinking on duty, EVERYTHING!  Hopefully they make them follow US Federal Motorcarrier Laws.  I'm also looking forward to seeing how far they make it past DOT check points.  I really don't think that will happend.  Hopefully the State Patrols stop them cold at the scales!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:37:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
This will be interesting to say the least.  I'm a teamster memeber and driver.  Everything we've learned of this is bad; equipment, lack of sleep, drugs, drinking on duty, EVERYTHING!  Hopefully they make them follow US Federal Motorcarrier Laws.  I'm also looking forward to seeing how far they make it past DOT check points.  I really don't think that will happend.  Hopefully the State Patrols stop them cold at the scales!

They won't. Just like the commands give to border patrol and many municipal police depts.  from on high, they will be told to ignore them.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:42:57 AM EDT
[#7]
The reaction from the IBT ought to be interesting.  The reaction of the big unions thus far has been to be supportive (or just silent) about illegals taking American jobs; I just wonder if they will be any different.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:46:22 AM EDT
[#8]
When one jacknife's on ice because some idiot Mexican driver has never driven on it, and it takes out a schoolbus full of kindergarteners, will the State Department uphold the parent's right to sue a foreign company?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:48:59 AM EDT
[#9]
say hello to....

a.) the end of american sovereignty.

and

b.) the beginning of a possible national insurgency( you better believe there's going to be some people who are going to begin attacking these trucks. everything from caltrops to whatever else)
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
jimmy hoffa?

I think that's his son.

Nothing good can come from this.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:51:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
say hello to....

and

b.) the beginning of a possible national insurgency( you better believe there's going to be some people who are going to begin attacking these trucks. everything from caltrops to whatever else)

That will never happen.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:54:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
say hello to....

and

That will never happen.

oh I wouldn't be too sure about that. We've had criminal activities in washington and oregon state for years from tree-huggers attacking loggers and lumber operations.... no reason why someone here in the US wouldn't do the same over this.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:02:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Apparently this is just one of the first steps
NAFTA Super highway

The more I read about this the worse it becomes.

NOTHING GOOD WILL COME FROM THIS
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:05:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
When one jacknife's on ice because some idiot Mexican driver has never driven on it, and it takes out a schoolbus full of kindergarteners, will the State Department uphold the parent's right to sue a foreign company?

I'm thinking the same. How many of our friends, co-workers, relatives, family are going to DIE??? due to this????
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:06:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
jimmy hoffa?

I think that's his son.

Nothing good can come from this.

James Hoffa
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:08:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Unfuckin believable. Ive had Bush's back through the past 6 yr shatstorm but Im done. Bush is officially a fucking moron. Did this decision have ANY congressional oversight whatsoever??? How can they do this. This is a terrible idea.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:08:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
say hello to....

and

That will never happen.

oh I wouldn't be too sure about that. We've had criminal activities in washington and oregon state for years from tree-huggers attacking loggers and lumber operations.... no reason why someone here in the US wouldn't do the same over this.

So are you going to lead the OPERATION?

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:09:38 PM EDT
[#18]
This will suck.  I guessus local LEO's will have our hands full.

-K
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:28:33 PM EDT
[#19]
not good, not good.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:48:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

The accident rate WILL rise because of this idiocy.  I wonder how the MSM and gooberment is going to spin it?  "Well, the lower cost of goods is offsetting the higher insurance rates that Americans are paying, so it's a win!".  
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:56:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Seems like a natural progression, we have unlimited Mexican immigration with no oversight already.

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:59:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#23]
If they must comply with US laws, I would be really interested in seeing the actual outcome of this.

Especially since they MUST be able to converse in ENGLISH!!!!

It is bad enough with the people that live here barely speaking the required English for a CDL.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 1:47:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Apparently this is just one of the first steps
NAFTA Super highway

The more I read about this the worse it becomes.

NOTHING GOOD WILL COME FROM THIS

How can you say nothing good will come of this???

You still want cheap Communist China made goods don't you??

Instead of paying so much money to fat,lazy,stupid Americans that work at the ports and drive trucks,you unload your ships in mexico (and pay squat to the workers) and send your shit into the US in shitty mexican trucks driven by low paid guys.

Waiting for all the "No Amero,No North American Union,No superhighway" fools.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 1:55:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Where's LARRYG to tell us "always has been, always will, don't forget to vote for who I tell you to".  

Illegal immigration, I guess it's just a border state problem.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 2:09:22 PM EDT
[#26]
from what i heard, the Mexican companies do not want to conform to DOT reg,s . and we got some politicians wanting to support this! also they will be competing with American trucking company's, in America ,talk about cut throat haul rate's.these guy,s barley speak english,their companies give them directions [even tho theyve never been here before] we had one, that called a tow truck to pull him off the interstate ,"cause truck she stopped", only to find out he had ran out of fuel! there no truck drivers, they pay them nothing, there not or poorly trained. and now are being set lose on our interstates. suing these guys, and or their companies in case of an accident, is going to be impossible, unless the courts hold them here till its resolved. i too have washed my hands of BUSH, he has sold us out for globalization. and if were not careful this may decimate American trucking, 100 companies!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:04:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
from what i heard, the Mexican companies do not want to conform to DOT reg,s . and we got some politicians wanting to support this! also they will be competing with American trucking company's, in America ,talk about cut throat haul rate's.these guy,s barley speak english,their companies give them directions [even tho theyve never been here before] we had one, that called a tow truck to pull him off the interstate ,"cause truck she stopped", only to find out he had ran out of fuel! there no truck drivers, they pay them nothing, there not or poorly trained. and now are being set lose on our interstates. suing these guys, and or their companies in case of an accident, is going to be impossible, unless the courts hold them here till its resolved. i too have washed my hands of BUSH, he has sold us out for globalization. and if were not careful this may decimate American trucking, 100 companies!

Hey,it won't hurt the companies.It's a global economy now-they will have to adapt or go out of business,that's all.

Stop being so friggin' Nationalistic!!!

I for one welcome our new mexican overlords.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:11:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Where have you guys been?  Mexican domiciled trucks have been running United States highways for years.

Safety wise, it's a non-issue.

There are indeed, other considerations, however.  

ETA:  Any problems you might have with Mexican drivers should be nullified when you consider the average American driver... big truck or otherwise.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:18:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks Clintoon for Naft & Gatt
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:21:24 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Where have you guys been?  Mexican domiciled trucks have been running United States highways for years.

ETA:  Any problems you might have with Mexican drivers should be nullified when you consider the average American driver... big truck or otherwise.  

I'll bite-why is that??

Shit,of the wrecks I tow around here that involve mexicans (legal or otherwise),you can count on them not having insurance.

But I'm sure our government,the almighty benevolent powers that be,our thinking of joe citizen and will make sure these mexican trucks and drivers are up to US standards.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:27:47 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll bite-why is that??

Shit,of the wrecks I tow around here that involve mexicans (legal or otherwise),you can count on them not having insurance.

But I'm sure our government,the almighty benevolent powers that be,our thinking of joe citizen and will make sure these mexican trucks and drivers are up to US standards.

They have been fighting to get free access to US highways for years, and the sticking point has always been equipment maintenance and driver safety.

In Mexico, like the United States, businesses exist to do one thing, make money.  There is sufficient reward to maintain vehicles to US DOT standards.

Also, don't fall under the false assumption that all US plated trucks are roadworthy.  We have lots of cops on the board here, many at the State level.  Ask how vehicle condition can play a role in causing serious accidents.

ETA:  FWIW, I'm sure the Canucks have this discussion with some regularity, as Transport Canada regs are stricter than US DOT ones.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#32]
It is one small step toward a North American Union. www.eagleforum.org/topics/NAU/
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:29:58 PM EDT
[#33]

According to a DOT spokesman, the pilot program "is predicated on the notion that Mexican trucks operating in the U.S. under the pilot program will operate pursuant to every single requirement that pertains to U.S. trucks operating in the United States, including both safety and security requirements on both the state and federal level."

with the corruption culture of mexico, this would seem to be a shaky foundation. and how long before the trucks are filled with immigrants? does this, in any way, benefit a single american truck driver or trucking company?

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:31:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Look at it this way, If James Hoffa is against it, it must be good.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:37:12 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll bite-why is that??

They have been fighting to get free access to US highways for years, and the sticking point has always been equipment maintenance and driver safety.

In Mexico, like the United States, businesses exist to do one thing, make money.  There is sufficient reward to maintain vehicles to US DOT standards.

Also, don't fall under the false assumption that all US plated trucks are roadworthy.  We have lots of cops on the board here, many at the State level.  Ask how vehicle condition can play a role in causing serious accidents.

ETA:  FWIW, I'm sure the Canucks have this discussion with some regularity, as Transport Canada regs are stricter than US DOT ones.

I realize all US trucks aren't 100% safe-just like all cars aren't 100%safe.

From what people I know have told me,the majority of the mexican trucks they have seen leave a lot to be desired.The last time I was in mexico was almost twenty years ago and I remember shaking my head then (I'm sure a lot has changed??).

I'm sure the US gov. will keep a close eye on them and enforce the laws on them.Yep.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:42:22 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

with the corruption culture of mexico, this would seem to be a shaky foundation. and how long before the trucks are filled with immigrants? does this, in any way, benefit a single american truck driver or trucking company?

The only ones that will benefit are the mass mechandisers/corporations and the mexicans.Oh,and us too-buying our made in Communist China crap.

They can keep the costs of imported shit lower,by docking the ships in mexico and trucking the junk up the superhighway to your local China Mart and Dollar Store.

Why would you pay U.S. dockworkers and truckers a high wage when you can get by so much cheaper?It will all work out for the best for us in the end.

Will truckers or dockworkers losing their jobs affect you?It's a global economy.Ya gotta break a few eggs to make a North American Union,er,omelet.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Will truckers or dockworkers losing their jobs affect you?

Not at all.

Oh, wait a sec...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top