Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2007 5:49:42 AM EDT
http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070224/NEWS/702240368/1001/NEWS

February 24, 2007

Violent attacks plague Jackson
# Mayor says it's time to "stop playing games and deal with the problems"

By Nicklaus Lovelady
[email protected]

For the second time this week, a young man died from a violent crime in Mississippi's capital and an elderly man survived an assault.

Early Friday morning, Marquis Richardson, 20, was shot and killed while driving his vehicle on Oakland Avenue.

Later in the day, Rollo Turner, 89, was shot in the leg during an apparent robbery at a gas station, police said. He survived.

While suspects were either arrested or detained in each case, Mayor Frank Melton said it's time for the city to get serious about crime.

"We need to stop playing games and deal with the problems," Melton said. "I think people need to do what they need to do to protect themselves to make sure they are secure, and second, the city needs to leave me alone and let me do what I need to do to get these creeps off the street."

On Wednesday, 22-year-old Lyneil Deshun Vaughn, was killed, set on fire, and dumped behind a furniture repair store. Two days before that, William Hubbard, 74, was beaten while picking up discarded soda cans.

In Friday's homicide, Jamal Holmes, 20, of Jackson was arrested and charged with murder.

The two men were traveling on Oakland Avenue around 5:16 a.m. when Holmes, who was in the back seat, shot Robinson one time in the back, Jackson police spokesman Sgt. Jeffery Scott said.

The motive behind the shooting and the nature of Robinson's and Holmes' relationship was still under investigation, Scott said.

Holmes, who was arrested at the scene, is being held without bond in the Hinds County Detention Center at Raymond.

In the shooting of Turner, three young men have been detained. As of Friday night, the men had not been officially charged.

Police said Turner was pumping gas in his vehicle at Bob's Gas and Food Mart at 4145 N. State Street when a man approached him and asked if he could pump Turner's gas. After Turner refused, he was shot.

The men were arrested across the street from the gas station in a van suspected of being their get away vehicle, Scott said.

Tyrone Mitchell, who attended to Turner until an ambulance arrived, said another witness watched the man who shot Turner get into the van.

"What's going on with these youngsters," Francis Newell said, after watching the three men being taken into police custody. "Their attitude is, 'If I know I can act any old way and get away with it, then I'm going to do what I want to do.' Why won't the city make an example out of these young guys."

Melton said he wants to make an example out of the three people detained in Turner's shooting.

"I want them held without bond and if that's not possible, I want their bonds set at $1 million," Melton said.

Turner was taken to the University of Mississippi Medical Center, where he was in stable condition.

A bond hearing was held Friday for the three men accused of killing Vaughn. Carl Hollins, 28, brothers Brian Sweet, 26, and Craig Sweet, 21, were all denied bond on capital murder charges.

No one has been arrested in the Hubbard attack.

================================================================

It's better than what most politicians say, but it still bothers me that he's afraid to say "shoot the badguys."
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 5:55:27 AM EDT
[#1]
And here I'm thinking about moving to MS to work on an oil rig.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:02:48 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
And here I'm thinking about moving to MS to work on an oil rig.

Ya'll come to houston in the southwest area..  We STILL have New Orlean
fucks terrorizing our city..
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:10:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
While suspects were either arrested or detained in each case, Mayor Frank Melton said it's time for the city to get serious about crime.

"We need to stop playing games and deal with the problems," Melton said. "I think people need to do what they need to do to protect themselves to make sure they are secure, and second, the city needs to leave me alone and let me do what I need to do to get these creeps off the street."

wants gunshows outlawed in city limits
grandstanding for the cameras while raiding the wrong house
had/has gun charges against him
member of Bloomberg's antigun mayor thingy
etc
etc
etc

He sounds good on the surface, went on raids just hours after takin' office but all is not as it seems. Dang shame.

t
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top