Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/23/2007 11:40:58 PM EDT
Who are the other of the below mentioned "a number of assault weapons web sites"???

It was ARFCOM!

'Terrorist' Remark Puts Outdoorsman's Career in Jeopardy
Zumbo's Criticism of Hunters Who Use Assault Rifles Brings Unforgiving Response From U.S. Gun Culture

By Blaine Harden
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, February 24, 2007; A03

SEATTLE -- Modern hunters rarely become more famous than Jim Zumbo. A mustachioed, barrel-chested outdoors entrepreneur who lives in a log cabin near Yellowstone National Park, he has spent much of his life writing for prominent outdoors magazines, delivering lectures across the country and starring in cable TV shows about big-game hunting in the West.

Zumbo's fame, however, has turned to black-bordered infamy within America's gun culture -- and his multimedia success has come undone. It all happened in the past week, after he publicly criticized the use of military-style assault rifles by hunters, especially those gunning for prairie dogs.

"Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity," Zumbo wrote in his blog on the Outdoor Life Web site. The Feb. 16 posting has since been taken down. "As hunters, we don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them. . . . I'll go so far as to call them 'terrorist' rifles."

The reaction -- from tens of thousands of owners of assault rifles across the country, from media and manufacturers rooted in the gun business, and from the National Rifle Association -- has been swift, severe and unforgiving. Despite a profuse public apology and a vow to go hunting soon with an assault weapon, Zumbo's career appears to be over.

His top-rated weekly TV program on the Outdoor Channel, his longtime career with Outdoor Life magazine and his corporate ties to the biggest names in gunmaking, including Remington Arms Co., have been terminated or are on the ropes.

The NRA on Thursday pointed to the collapse of Zumbo's career as an example of what can happen to anyone, including a "fellow gun owner," who challenges the right of Americans to own or hunt with assault-style firearms.

From his home near Cody, Wyo., Zumbo declined repeated telephone requests for comment. He is a 40-year NRA member and has appeared with NRA officials in 70 cities, according to his Web site.

In announcing that it was suspending its professional ties with Zumbo, the NRA -- a well-financed gun lobby that for decades has fought attempts to regulate assault weapons -- noted that the new Congress should pay careful attention to the outdoors writer's fate.

"Our folks fully understand that their rights are at stake," the NRA statement said. It warned that the "grassroots" passion that brought down Zumbo shows that millions of people would "resist with an immense singular political will any attempts to create a new ban on semi-automatic firearms."

Some outdoors writers drew a different lesson from Zumbo's horrible week.

"This shows the zealousness of gun owners to the point of actual foolishness," said Pat Wray, a freelance outdoors writer in Corvallis, Ore., and author of "A Chukar Hunter's Companion."

Wray said that what happened to Zumbo is a case study in how the NRA has trained members to attack their perceived enemies without mercy.

"For so many years, Zumbo has been a voice for these people -- for hunting and for guns -- and they just turned on him in an instant," Wray said. "He apologized all over himself, and it didn't do any good."

Zumbo's fall highlights a fundamental concern of the NRA and many champions of military-style firearms, according to people who follow the organization closely. They do not want American gun owners to make a distinction between assault weapons and traditional hunting guns such as shotguns and rifles. If they did, a rift could emerge between hunters, who tend to have the most money for political contributions to gun rights causes, and assault-weapon owners, who tend to have lots of passion but less cash.

The NRA appeared to be saying as much in its statement Thursday, when it emphasized that the Zumbo affair shows there is "no chance" that a "divide and conquer propaganda strategy" could ever succeed.

"Jim Zumbo Outdoors" was not broadcast as scheduled last week on the Outdoor Channel and will not air next week, said Mike Hiles, a spokesman for the channel. He said sponsors have requested that they be removed from the program. The show "will be in hiatus for an undetermined period of time," he said.

Zumbo's long career at Outdoor Life, which is owned by Time Inc., also came to a sudden end in the past week. Zumbo was hunting editor of the magazine, which is the nation's second-largest outdoors publication. He wrote his first story for Outdoor Life in 1962.

The magazine's editor in chief, Todd W. Smith, said that Zumbo submitted his resignation after hearing of the large number of readers (about 6,000, at last count) who had sent e-mails demanding his dismissal. Smith dismissed as "conjecture" a question about whether Zumbo would have been fired had he not resigned.

"Jim is a good guy, and I feel bad about this unfortunate situation," Smith said. "We are living in very delicate times. For someone to call these firearms 'terrorist' rifles, that is a flash-point word. You are painting a bunch of enthusiasts with the word. They don't like being called terrorists."

When he wrote his now-notorious blog entry, Zumbo was on a coyote hunt in Wyoming sponsored by Remington, a detail he noted in the entry.

That mention -- as it bounced around in recent days among a number of assault-weapon Web sites -- triggered a call for a boycott of Remington products.

That prompted Remington to issue a news release, saying that it has "severed all sponsorship ties with Mr. Zumbo effective immediately."

Remington chief executive Tommy Millner issued a personal appeal to gun owners who might be thinking about boycotting the company's products: "Rest assured that Remington not only does not support [Zumbo's] view, we totally disagree," Millner said. "I have no explanation for his perspective. I proudly own AR's and support everyone's right to do so!"

Zumbo, in his public apology, said that when he wrote the blog entry that criticized assault rifles, he was at the end of a long day's hunt.

"I was tired and exhausted," he wrote, "and I should have gone to bed early."

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:51:09 PM EDT
[#1]
This shows the zealousness of gun owners to the point of actual foolishness," said Pat Wray, a freelance outdoors writer in Corvallis, Ore., and author of "A Chukar Hunter's Companion."

Wray said that what happened to Zumbo is a case study in how the NRA has trained members to attack their perceived enemies without mercy.

What I've come to expect from him.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:55:28 PM EDT
[#2]
We really need to come up with a term that doesn't include "assault" for EBR's.

Seeing it repeated over and over again simply drives home that point to me.  The term "assault weapon" is a politically contrived one and its been pounded into Joe Sixpacks head for nearly 15 years.  Its become interchangeable with assault rifle, which has nothing to do with EBR's but that's the intention of politicians and MSM.

The fact that many people here tend to use the terms interchangeably and some are confused when the difference is pointed out shows just how far the programming has gone.

black plastic rifle = assault weapon = assault rifle = machine gun.

As we saw when the AWB sunsetted, most people really though there would be machine guns flooding the streets.  

I'm still partial to Sport-Utility Rifle myself as it is the most accurate description of its capabilities.  

The word "sport" might fire a few neurons with the "F" types on the other side as well.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:56:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been participating in a conversation on their comment section for that article. I have decided to be less snarky and a bit drier. I will say one thing, if you maintain your composure long enough the gun grabbers get *really* flustered that you won't play the emotion game.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:58:40 PM EDT
[#4]
"assault-weapon owners, who tend to have lots of passion but less cash."  
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:02:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

That was my (and a few others') take on it as well. THen I thought about it a little bit and have decided it's probably true. It's a whole helluva lot cheaper to buy 1 or two boxes of bullets every 5 years than it is to buy a few cases per year.

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:07:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have been participating in a conversation on their comment section for that article. I have decided to be less snarky and a bit drier. I will say one thing, if you maintain your composure long enough the gun grabbers get *really* flustered that you won't play the emotion game.

Of course. If you play the emotion game you look like a lunatic and they love it. If you sound reasonable it upsets them because it goes against their narrow minded little views.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:09:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

DO THEY KNOW, HOW MUCH MONEY, SOME OF YOU GUY,S HAVE IN THOSE GUNS? AND HOW MANY?THE IMPESSION I GET IS THEY THINK YOUR WAL-MART SHOPPER TYPES.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:10:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

We have a passionate disease that tends to keep us poorer than we otherwise could be. I can think of a lot worse diseases to have tho'.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:12:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I didn't want to see the old guy lose his job over it.  I wanted a retraction and an apology, maybe a flogging  But I didn't want him to lose a career he'd built up for 40 years.

It's interesting to see that even in something like this the anti's can find fault in the pro's.  Now we're zealots!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:16:13 AM EDT
[#10]
We were "zealots" already. See, by trying to stuff people who are antithetical to their delusions into categories, those people are easier to ignore.

In fact, we are the real "Inconvenient Truth".
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:18:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Pfffft.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:31:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I didn't want to see the old guy lose his job over it.  I wanted a retraction and an apology, maybe a flogging  But I didn't want him to lose a career he'd built up for 40 years.

It's interesting to see that even in something like this the anti's can find fault in the pro's.  Now we're zealots!

To hell with Dumbo and his career but I'm like you, a little concerned with already being terrorists to now adding  zealots to the label this is not good.......how long before one of these snapper heads do not call them "assault weapons" and use another term like "weapons of mass destruction" to try and get a reaction from the non gun owning libtards or something?????
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:37:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Am I glad he lost his career? Not particularly. But it was necessary. To show the effect of many people working towards a common goal.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:41:00 AM EDT
[#14]
F'ing Press

I am so sick of the clueless idiots that write tripe like this.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:41:22 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
This shows the zealousness of gun owners to the point of actual foolishness," said Pat Wray, a freelance outdoors writer in Corvallis, Ore., and author of "A Chukar Hunter's Companion."

The NRA didn't train me to do anything.

I suppose defending the Constitution is an unacceptable practice? Well then, it is fortunate that I don't give-a-damn what idots like Pat Wray say or believe.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:43:17 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

My semiautomatic (insert manufacturers name).

To only be used with the uneducated.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:44:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

To hell with Dumbo and his career but I'm like you, a little concerned with already being terrorists to now adding  zealots to the label this is not good.......how long before one of these snapper heads do not call them "assault weapons" and use another term like "weapons of mass destruction" to try and get a reaction from the non gun owning libtards or something?????

Ethan Hawke's character in "Lord of War" made that exact correlation.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:52:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The NRA didn't train me to do anything.

I suppose defending the Constitution is an unacceptable practice? Well then, it is fortunate that I don't give-a-damn what idots like Pat Wray say or believe.

Actually, just a couple of years ago the government DID decide that defense of the Constitution WAS an unacceptable practice, so technically Zumbo and his ilk aren't too far off.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:53:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 1:07:54 AM EDT
[#20]

"This shows the zealousness of gun owners to the point of actual foolishness," said Pat Wray, a freelance outdoors writer in Corvallis, Ore., and author of "A Chukar Hunter's Companion."

www.patwray.com
Email:  [email protected]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 1:09:17 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Sure, and how did they come to that conclusion?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 1:23:54 AM EDT
[#22]
He called us terrorists, there is, and never will be, anything that can rectify that statement. We now know, fully, the influence we wield....dont ever forget it. Dont back down an inch. Period.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 1:29:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure, and how did they come to that conclusion?

They probably know how much additionally mags and especially ammo costs these days...of course we're broke!

The bottom line is this whole Zumbo escapade will hopefully at least get some in the "pure hunter" category to consider the 2nd Amendment's actual meaning, maybe even for their first time for a lot of them. It's pretty obvious that Jimbo had never really thought it over. Then again, I've always been an optimist.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 1:30:08 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DO THEY KNOW, HOW MUCH MONEY, SOME OF YOU GUY,S HAVE IN THOSE GUNS? AND HOW MANY?THE IMPESSION I GET IS THEY THINK YOUR (you're)WAL-MART SHOPPER TYPES.

You sound like you're on the out side looking in.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 1:30:37 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
He called us terrorists, there is, and never will be, anything that can rectify that statement. We now know, fully, the influence we wield....dont ever forget it. Dont back down an inch. Period.

Yep to all the above.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 2:00:32 AM EDT
[#26]
I think that Zumbo realized that his negative comments regarding the AR-15 could be used by the gun grabbing leftists. I also think that he didn't much care because it wouldn't affect the folks that he considers to be the true American Sportsmen.

IMHO his negative comments about a sizable portion of the firearms community hurt us all far more than Sarah Brady ever could.

I'm also glad that he got his public come-uppance & would like to see the NRA refund his membership & throw him out for the Quisling that he is.

On a separate note, I too am sick & tired of the "Assault Rifle" moniker. It's been proven time & again that the term is bogus regarding the AR-15. It's been championed by gun control advocates for years to scare the bejesus out of folks who aren't gun savvy. We as a group really do need to come up with a better description, & soon.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 2:10:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Why would you spend over 40 years building a solid (and lucrative) career promoting hunting and safe gun ownership just to flush it down the toilet by insulting a large catagory of gun owners? "Terrorist guns?"

"I was tired after a long days hunt...."

Fuck him; he got what he deserved.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 2:12:51 AM EDT
[#28]

Wow what a bunch of stuff Dumbo created. It made for some remarks that I bet he sure will never forget.

In case you forgot, it was about 303 pages from 2/16/07 to 2/18/07 and is about 2.05 MB.

Dumbo's mumbo jumbo
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 2:15:23 AM EDT
[#29]
height=8
. A mustachioed, barrel-chested outdoors entrepreneur
Huh?...more like a fat-ass.

And let's not forget that The Washington Post is a useless paper. Unless you're looking for the movie schedules.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 2:26:39 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

This could actually work for us. The Brady bunch is trying to deny firearms to the "working poor". In a clash of the rich Washington elites vs the lower-middle class.

Everyone knows that the "working poor" get everything they want, they are a protected minority, shit, congress just gave them a pay raise.

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 2:39:52 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Why would you spend over 40 years building a solid (and lucrative) career promoting hunting and safe gun ownership just to flush it down the toilet by insulting a large catagory of gun owners? "Terrorist guns?"

+1. Making stuff up and lying is hard work. When you're tired, you don't make stuff up and lie, you say what you really think. Apparantly, Zumbo really thinks that semiautomatic rifles are for terrorists - I haven't seen anything yet to convince me otherwise. I'm only sorry he was able to pretend that he was in favor of gun rights for so long.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:22:45 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Yes,Thnaks to the EE
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:26:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:35:46 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
 We as a group really do need to come up with a better description, & soon.  

Yea...I like Sport rifle  or Sport Utility Rifle.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:01:22 AM EDT
[#35]
+1
i'm all for Sport Utility Rifle (spread the word)
assault weapon = OUT
S.U.R. = IN

If they did, a rift could emerge between hunters, who tend to have the most money for political contributions to gun rights causes, and assault-weapon owners, who tend to have lots of passion but less cash.

yep blew it all on mags and ammo thanks to you pinpricks who want to ban everything more dangerous than a cotton ball
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:02:21 AM EDT
[#36]
I hope Zumbo will be like Jesus. Dying on the cross as an example.
The attention, even in the slanted media, cannot hurt. Elected officials need to know we will attack them in a like manner. Hopefully this built some kind of momentum.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:02:49 AM EDT
[#37]

Zumbo failed to realize that an attack on one gunowner is an attack on us all.  His sponsors damned sure knew better.

BTW, how did ths guy survive for 30 some-odd as a hunting expert and completely missed the use of "terrorist weapons" for hunting porposes?  What did he think the 5 round magazines were for?

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:04:37 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1. Making stuff up and lying is hard work. When you're tired, you don't make stuff up and lie, you say what you really think. Apparantly, Zumbo really thinks that semiautomatic rifles are for terrorists - I haven't seen anything yet to convince me otherwise. I'm only sorry he was able to pretend that he was in favor of gun rights for so long.

He's on old man who got confused between AK-74s and AR-15s.  He's a fudd.  He's a Airline Pilot commenting on Fighter aircraft.  He always was and now everyone knows he is a clueless baffoon fudd.

I'm sorry he lost his career, but it was his fault for commenting on something he has no idea about.

FYI this isnt the first time he has spoke out against semi-auto military style firearms.  About 22 years ago he said the M1 Carbine was a poor choice for anything other then firewood and went on to say,... the only people who own them are the ones honest people have to worry about....He said this after he was shown a Chinese knock-off of an M1, made out of Plastic and pot metal.  I really dont think he understood, (nor did anyone tell him) that it was not the real thing.  And to top it all off...HE FREAKING OWNS AN M1 Carbine..... 6 Years before he made that statement, he was given one (a real one) by a company I was working for.

He's an old man, who should have quit while he was ahead.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:04:46 AM EDT
[#39]

...hunters, who tend to have the most money for political contributions to gun rights causes, and assault-weapon owners, who tend to have lots of passion but less cash....

Ya, that one jumped out at me too. I would argue AR owners spend more on the
industry i.e. supplies e.t.c.

In general AR owners are younger than the "hunter" crowd. Older people do have
more money because they have worked for it longer, however, that quote from above
smacks of an elitist attitude which I am sure you have encountered from the Fudd crowd
at one time or another.

ETA : "Passion".....you bet your ass.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:06:00 AM EDT
[#40]
The morons at the WP have NO fucking clue!!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:11:40 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I know hunters who spend more on their sport than I do on mine.  However I spend more on guns than they do and less on guided trips, ATVs, clothes and the like.  I think the industry knows that.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:12:08 AM EDT
[#42]
ZUMBO gave us a gift!.........he was actually being honest!
His recent "apology" was a joke!

Zumbo is a Fudd.......who defines "gun rights" as anything that fits within Bill Clintons "duck rifle" definition.

Zumbo's recent back-peddling is just an attempt to maintain his cash flow which is quickly slowing down due to his mouth writing a check that his ass can't cash!

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:12:14 AM EDT
[#43]
We do have less cash.  

We aren't (for the most part) the country club type.  

We have stacks of ammo, mags, guns and related gear.  We don't send in a couple grand to a candidate that will not care when we lose our rights(when we could use that cash on ammo).  

We spend our money on guns, ammo, and gear.  To think that we spend less on our "sport" is laughable.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:19:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Zumbo is a bigoted Fudd.  

Never forget the power of persuasion that ARFCOM and the Internet massed on his sponsors.  

Don't back down an inch.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:22:44 AM EDT
[#45]
I agree that the label "assault weapons" is bullshit. Instead of "assault weapons" just call them "semi-automatic rifles." That's a category that includes Browning BAR (the hunting version) and other "sporting" arms.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:23:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:28:25 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
"I was tired and exhausted," he wrote, "and I should have gone to bed early."

Well Yea, Thats a no shitter

he'll have plenty of time for sleep now.

although if he had not said it he still believes it none the less
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:32:18 AM EDT
[#48]
remington et al knows who has the money and power in the shooting community and how they will vote with it, that's why they acted the way they did. this asshole writer may be smart enough to figure it out as well but he has to spin the story as being a fracture in our community and not the massive bitch slap to a traitor that it actually was.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:33:19 AM EDT
[#49]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

"Homeland Defense Rifle" or HDR.

+1

Home Defense Rifle
And also Homeland Defense Rifle
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:35:03 AM EDT
[#50]
I for one am very pleased the article appeared in a paper inside the beltway.

Perhaps it will offer a warning to those in congress.  Pass a new AWB & the 1994 power shift will happen all over again.  Slick Willy himself commented after the election "The NRA did this".  Democrats should remain gunshy, pun intended.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top