Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2007 8:55:10 PM EDT
I would hope that every ones goal is to turn more people and other shooters, including their kids, into "Rifleman", but that brings up an interesting question-

What is your defenition of a "Rifleman"? Is their an official definition or what?

Let me know what you think
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:57:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:57:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Being able to hit your target .

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:00:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:06:00 PM EDT
[#4]
IMO- a rifleman is one who can pick up just about any rifle and hit what he intends to shoot at from any shooting position. This includes knowing the limitations of the rifle, postion, ability, ect...

Oh ya.. A rifleman should be able to do this with iron sights! Not to knock those who shoot with optics (like myself) but if you can't use irons, you are no rifleman.

Basicly a person who can pick up a rifle and whatever it is and make the shot.. But know when he can't!
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:08:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup--having the skill and knowledge to put a caliber-sized hole where one didn't exist a moment ago--exactly where you need the hole to be.  This skill needs to be in spite of various things which may inhibit the shot.

Ok, but what range must one be able to do this at? I havnt been able to try beyond 100 or so yds, I can keep my shot on target at those ranges at will.

It just seems so ambiguous and obvious, ok hit your target... any other rules/ways of defining it
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:26:53 PM EDT
[#7]
We used to have an "official"  definition in the Marine Corps....Not sure if I still have it, but I'll look and up date ya'    
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:31:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup--having the skill and knowledge to put a caliber-sized hole where one didn't exist a moment ago--exactly where you need the hole to be.  This skill needs to be in spite of various things which may inhibit the shot.

Ok, but what range must one be able to do this at? I havnt been able to try beyond 100 or so yds, I can keep my shot on target at those ranges at will.

It just seems so ambiguous and obvious, ok hit your target... any other rules/ways of defining it

Just knowing your weapon , it's maximum effective range. Shooting in different element's and how the round will be effected.That is a rifleman.

You can read a lot of books on it but first hand knowledge of how your round
will react in all climates needs to be learned first hand.

It's just practice and more practice
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:32:22 PM EDT
[#9]
"Every Marine a rifleman first."

Some of the Marine Corps Marksmanship qualification standards are listed in this thread, starting near the bottom of the page.

click here
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:38:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
IMO- a rifleman is one who can pick up just about any rifle and hit what he intends to shoot at from any shooting position. This includes knowing the limitations of the rifle, postion, ability, ect...

Oh ya.. A rifleman should be able to do this with iron sights! Not to knock those who shoot with optics (like myself) but if you can't use irons, you are no rifleman.

Basicly a person who can pick up a rifle and whatever it is and make the shot.. But know when he can't!

+1000
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:44:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:56:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Every Marine. Nuf said.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:57:46 PM EDT
[#13]
A rifleman can shoot any man-sized target he can see well enough to know he wants to shoot at any range up to the maximum effective range of his iron-sighted rifle, and he can do it consistently enough to make the probability of a miss that comes with each shot negligible.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 10:26:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Col Cooper described a rifleman as someone who could consistently hit a target as far as they could reasonably see.  (He kept his in check by saying we can see the moon, but...)

I agree with that definition and elaborate with; a true rifleman is someone who knows their leads for running targets, drops for distance, and can successfully judge distance fast enough to figure both and make a hit.  In order to accomplish this a rifleman  should have a solid understanding and application of the basic marksmanship fundamentals including sight alignment, sight picture, trigger control, follow through, natural point & area of aim, bone support, muscle relaxation, and use of cover & support.  When shooting in field conditions the rifleman should be able to determine which of these fundamentals are the most important, given the situation and environment, to make a hasty shot.  Sometimes that is, "flash sight picture" cross hairs or FSP clear as a bell, and follow through.  Other times one has the luxury of a solid rest, but not muscle relaxation.  Hell, alot of times if a shooter can just put together follow through and trigger control when firing at running targets they are doing good!

I won't make this as a condition of my definition, but there is also something to be said about "that guy" with "that one gun".  This is usually because "that guy" with "that one gun" has enough experience shooting the rifle that he exemplifies the characteristics mention above.  

It would be cool if we could come up with a short, concise, but all inclusive definition of a "rifleman".
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:40:12 AM EDT
[#15]
btt for day crew
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:46:40 AM EDT
[#16]
My definition of "Rifleman":

a shitty underarmored, underheatsinked, undergunned, 60-ton 'Mech.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:54:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
"Every Marine a rifleman first."

Some of the Marine Corps Marksmanship qualification standards are listed in this thread, starting near the bottom of the page.

click here

link didn't work  
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:00:12 AM EDT
[#18]
After going to a "Appleseed" shoot back in Nov.  It is to be able to hit a human sized target using a battlerifle with open sights, issue ammo.  To be effective out to 500 yds.  Using three different types of stances to achieve a steady firing position with out using a bench or other supproting structures.  

I am not a "rifleman" yet. but I need to practice more to get there.

Check out www.fredsm14stocks.com
                                                 or
                       www.rwva.com

Buzz.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:00:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Semp Fi
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:01:08 AM EDT
[#20]
My definition of "Rifleman" is Chuck Connors. Back in the day, every problem could be solved with a rifle.

Of course Steve McQueen was a short barreled rifleman

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:04:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
My definition of "Rifleman" is Chuck Connors

img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mac66/conors_still2_150.jpg

Beat me to it by seconds.

"There can be only one."
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:10:47 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"There can be only one."

Just for you

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTRZ88WMWQQ
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:11:47 AM EDT
[#23]
What Fred says.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:35:21 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"There can be only one."

Just for you

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTRZ88WMWQQ

Doggonit!!  That was great!!

You should have seen me as a kid, every week, with my copy of that rifle, waiting for the start of the show.

Many thanks.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:08:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Me.

11 Bravo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top