Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2007 7:37:25 PM EDT
I was wondering, because one of the questions on the form asks if you use illegal drugs. He didn't inhale, but he did use. Lying on the form is a big no-no.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:43:20 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I was wondering, because one of the questions on the form asks if you use illegal drugs. He didn't inhale, but he did use. Lying on the form is a big no-no.

Any thoughts?

Where the fuck are you from, again?
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't remember it asking about occasional use. If everybody who tried pot once were banned, there would be a lot of cheap guns on the market.

I do remember about being addicted, or being a habitual user.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Isn't lying under oath a felony?

They should have jailed his ass.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:52:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Any thoughts?

The word "use" on the form is in the context of "currently".

It doesn't say "are you currently, or have you ever..."

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:55:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any thoughts?

e. Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana, or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug or any other controlled substance?

Well, I always interpreted it mean that someone who has used is a user. Any other interpretation would mean that as long as you aren't high when you go to buy the gun, you're ok.

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:57:47 PM EDT
[#6]
he owns guns, problem is the SS carries it for him
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:58:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any thoughts?

e. Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana, or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug or any other controlled substance?

Well, I always interpreted it mean that someone who has used is a user. Any other interpretation would mean that as long as you aren't high when you go to buy the gun, you're ok.

"Are you..." not "Have you ever been." That's how I've read it. I'm good either way
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:59:25 PM EDT
[#8]
He shot Monica Blewinsky.  Does that count?
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:01:15 PM EDT
[#9]
IIRC, the BATF defines "user" as either: (1) currently uses; or (2) has used within the last year.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:02:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Probably 70% of the U.S., including myself, wouldn't legally be able to buy guns if your definition was correct.  If you even smoked a cigarette before you turned 18, you are an unlawful user of a stimulant then...
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:03:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any thoughts?

Again, "Are you" means currently.  Otherwise it would be "have you".

There is room for interpretation, because as you said, a person could
contend that they stopped doing drugs yesterday.  

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:05:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Probably 70% of the U.S., including myself, wouldn't legally be able to buy guns if your definition was correct.  If you even smoked a cigarette before you turned 18, you are an unlawful user of a stimulant then...

It doesn't seem to care about the illegal use of legal drugs.

Only the use of illegal drugs.

EDIT:  wait...  are cigarettes considered a "controlled" substance since there is an age limit?
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:07:12 PM EDT
[#13]
What's really scary is that caffeine is a stimulant...
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It doesn't seem to care about the illegal use of legal drugs.

Only the use of illegal drugs.

EDIT:  wait...  are cigarettes considered a "controlled" substance since there is an age limit?

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:17:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

But "or any other" implies that the first examples were also controlled substances.

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:19:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Depends on what the definition of "is" is.  

What if you are on medicinal MJ?  Since it is not accepted by the FDA, would not one still be in violation?
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Breaking and unjust law isn't wrong anyway.  If he (or anybody else) was high on the reeefer when they bought a gun I wouldn't care.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:24:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any thoughts?

You failed English class, didn't you?
Everything is in present tense.
If I used to drive a Ford, but don't anymore, then I'm not still a Ford driver.
If I used to own a home, but don't anymore, then I'm not a homeowner.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:27:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But "or any other" implies that the first examples were also controlled substances.

Or could it be that "any other" only refers to narcotic drugs? Does the comma after "any depressant or stimulant distingush them as separate from narcotics and controlled substances? I'm also curious as to why the question doesnt begin with "In the last xxx years have you been an unlawful user of...", if the intent was to only exclude current users and addicts.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:27:45 PM EDT
[#20]
So if I was 19 and drank beer......

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:28:20 PM EDT
[#21]
From the NICS website (F.B.I.):

An unlawful user and/or an addict of any controlled substance; for example, a person convicted for the use or possession of a controlled substance within the past year, or a person with multiple arrests for the use or possession of a controlled substance within the past five years with the most recent arrest occurring within the past year, or a person found through a drug test to use a controlled substance unlawfully, provided the test was administered within the past year.

www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics.htm
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

So you're saying that if you smoke a big fat crack rock, then come down from your high and buy a gun once the crack is out of your system, you're good to go as long as you swear that's the last one you smoke?
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
From the NICS website (F.B.I.):

An unlawful user and/or an addict of any controlled substance; for example, a person convicted for the use or possession of a controlled substance within the past year, or a person with multiple arrests for the use or possession of a controlled substance within the past five years with the most recent arrest occurring within the past year, or a person found through a drug test to use a controlled substance unlawfully, provided the test was administered within the past year.

www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics.htm

Thank you! That makes it much clearer.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:32:15 PM EDT
[#24]
This reminds me of the two times people have accused me of lying on the 4473 because I had ADHD as a young child.  

If you start to get strange ideas about what the form says, you aren't buying enough guns!  You should have the damn thing memorized!  
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:33:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Well FUCK! Come take all my guns away!
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:36:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any thoughts?

Did you fail English class?

"User" is not a verb, it is a noun.  'There are no tenses for nouns.  "Used" is a verb denoting past use; hence the past tense.

Main Entry: us·er
Pronunciation: 'yü-z&r
Function: noun
: one that uses

www.m-w.com/dictionary/user
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:50:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you're saying that if you smoke a big fat crack rock, then come down from your high and buy a gun once the crack is out of your system, you're good to go as long as you swear that's the last one you smoke?

You apparently failed reading comprehension too. No you're not good to go, because it specifically says "in the last year".
If you haven't smoked in a year, you're not a 'user' anymore, because you're not using anything. You were a user though.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any thoughts?

Did you fail English class?

"User" is not a verb, it is a noun.  'There are no tenses for nouns.  Used" is a verb.  Hence the past tense.

Main Entry: us·er
Pronunciation: 'yü-z&r
Function: noun
: one that uses

Read the first quoted post in your post.
Then read where he said "I always interpreted it mean that someone who has used is a user."
"Has used" and "is" do not exactly work together, do they?
Use = Present tense.
Used = Past tense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top