Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:52:03 PM EDT
[#3]
When I says WHOA I MEAN'S WHOA!

Hope the pilot came out OK (?)
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:53:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn, thats a shitty reason to take a ride.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I was afraid his parachute wouldn't have time to open--big relief to see it fully deployed.  

I can't remember the term they used on the History channel when describing parachutes that will deploy safely with the plane at ground level.  Pretty neat that you can eject pretty well much anywhere and do so safely.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was afraid his parachute wouldn't have time to open--big relief to see it fully deployed.  

I can't remember the term they used on the History channel when describing parachutes that will deploy safely with the plane at ground level.  Pretty neat that you can eject pretty well much anywhere and do so safely.

Just don't do it low level inverted or in a high bank angle.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:56:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Term is zero/zero

Zero airspeed, zero altitude.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I think the f-16 was one of, if not the first to have a zero/zero seat.  It looks to me like that driver would have hit hard without the advantage of having the "ground" a lot further below the carrier deck.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:08:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I think the f-16 was one of, if not the first to have a zero/zero seat.

Nope.

I actually read a story once of an underwater ejection from, ironically, an A-7 Corsair. So I wouldn't call this one last-minute.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:11:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Shit happens.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:15:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think the f-16 was one of, if not the first to have a zero/zero seat.

Nope.

I actually read a story once of an underwater ejection from, ironically, an A-7 Corsair. So I wouldn't call this one last-minute.

Wasn't there a flight of A-7's on the deck at Sioux City when that airliner crashed that were instructed to prepare to eject (0-0) back in the '90's?
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:48:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I think the f-16 was one of, if not the first to have a zero/zero seat.  It looks to me like that driver would have hit hard without the advantage of having the "ground" a lot further below the carrier deck.

My Dad was an AMH2 with VF-124, at NAS Moffett, when they transitioned to F-8s:

From www.vought.com/heritage/products/html/f8u-2.html
The first production F8U-2 (BuNo 145546) made its first flight one year later, on 29 August 1958 with Vought test pilot John Omvig at the controls.....The Martin-Baker F-5 fully automatic, so-called “zero-zero” (zero altitude-zero airspeed capability) ejection seat was factory installed in this model.

From www.ejectionsite.com/mkf7seat.htm

The F-8 Crusader was equipped with the Martin-Baker Aircraft Mk. F-5 ejection seat, which was later updated to the Mk. F-7 standard. These photos from my friend Chris Woodul show his restored F-7 version. The major difference between the F-5 and the F-7 is the addition of the underseat rocket to give the seat zero-zero capability. Another change was the parachute pack from the soft pack to the hard pack variety seen held in the metal frame on the seat. The similar Mk. H-7 from the F-4 Phantom II utilized almost the same hard pack. The seat pan differs as well. Canopy breakers were added to the headrest to increase performance on ejection thru-canopy.....

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#13]

MAN OVERBOARD...MAN OVERBOARD...PORT SIDE!

Port engines STOP!  LEFT full rudder....

Warn the plane guard destroyer!

Alert the Angel, man in the water off my port quarter.

Ready the rescue lifeboat.

ON THE FLIGHT DECK, all hands keep your eyes on the man!

That looks very much like a stuck throttle and no brakes!  
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:14:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I hope all the crewman on the deck had ALL their protective gear on.  Looks like they could have a got a little burned if not.

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Jaws theme
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:34:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Dam that looks like a ride.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:05:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Ouch, that had to hurt.  Hope the pilot came through okay, a couple of seconds sooner and he would have met that E-2 coming down the Cat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top