Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2001 9:40:06 AM EDT
[url]http://www.nydailynews.com/2001-09-25/News_and_Views/Daily_Dish/a-126298.asp[/url]

[url]http://www.ariannaonline.com/columns/files/092401.html[/url]
And last, but definately not least, Bill Maher!
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 9:52:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Jumping on the bandwagon too late if you ask me.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 9:58:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Woohoo!  They interviewed John Milius!  He penned and directed a little flick called RED DAWN, you might have seen....

[b]Ready For Action

Others in Hollywood may be urging tolerance in the wake of the terrorist attacks, but gung-ho director John Milius is ready to see America kick some butt.

Milius is the guy who fed Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry some of his immortal lines ("You've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"). He also wrote "Apocalypse Now," and went on to direct such testosteronefueled films as "Conan the Barbarian," "Farewell to the King" and "Red Dawn."

When we reached him in Dutchess County, Milius was ready for questions about how America should approach Osama Bin Laden and the Taliban.

"Historically, the last person to handle this region well was Genghis Khan," said Milius. "When they showed him the cities of what is now Afghanistan, he said, 'I see nothing but pastures for my horses.' He was relentless."

Milius grants that Bin Laden is "a wily and dangerous opponent." He knows that Afghan fighters are famed for their toughness. "But could the Afghanis have taken Iwo Jima?" he says. "I don't think so."

Told that Richard Gere is working on an "anti-hate campaign," Milius growled, "I hope he doesn't embarrass himself. That stuff is a load of crap. It doesn't fly anymore.

"All this self-indulgent 'me' stuff from the '90s — the situational ethics — have gone right out the window. People are going to have to measure up."

Milius, 57, was rejected by the Army in his youth because of chronic asthma. But during Operation Desert Storm, he flew to the Persian Gulf hoping to film the conflict — "like John Huston in World War II." To his frustration, that war ended shortly after he arrived.

"I want to offer my services again," he said.

He has no appetite for turning the Sept. 11 attacks into a feature film.

"What's bizarre is that [the attacks] resemble what we've seen in the movies," said Milius, who has adapted to the screen two Tom Clancy novels ("The Hunt for Red October" and "Clear and Present Danger").

"I don't want to be responsible for putting any more scenarios out there."

[/b]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
He knows that Afghan fighters are famed for their toughness. "But could the Afghanis have taken Iwo Jima?" he says. "I don't think so."
View Quote

Damn Right!
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 10:11:33 AM EDT
[#4]
[b]Told that Richard Gere is working on an "anti-hate campaign," Milius growled, "I hope he doesn't embarrass himself. That stuff is a load of crap. It doesn't fly anymore."[/b]

-Damn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top