Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/23/2007 4:05:31 PM EDT
Well I just got a new toshiba Dual core laptop from office depot today, I really like this laptop except for Windows vista. What was microsoft thinking? Almost everytime you try and do something it asks you to authorize it It also lags a ton and eats memory like no other. Looks like I am going to be installing Windows XP on this bad boy. Anyone else in the same boat as me?

My question is if I install XP on my computer will I still have the wireless utility and all that?
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:06:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I disabled the UAC, or whatever it is called. Since then, I have had no regrets.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:08:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I disabled the UAC, or whatever it is called. Since then, I have had no regrets.

Oh really, how do you do that?
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:09:16 PM EDT
[#3]
you can speed it up if you turn off all the animations and cool stuff
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:12:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I honestly just hate vista, I think I am going to install XP.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:16:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Reminds me of that Mac commercial with the PC having a bodyguard asking to authorize everything..  
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:17:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Start > Control Panel > User Accounts and Family BS > User Accounts > Turn UAC on or off (It's at the bottom)

That should do it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:17:22 PM EDT
[#7]
runs fine on my 2 year old system.    i don't think you know what your talking about........ or doing or something
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
you can speed it up if you turn off all the animations and cool stuff

Not really... if you have a decent processor and graphic card Vista's eye candy does not come close to taxing them. Areo uses about 1% of the GPU power of an average graphics card and it turns itself off when in the background.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:20:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Reminds me of that Mac commercial with the PC having a bodyguard asking to authorize everything..  

A few years back, I remember reading an article where they were discussing the "killer app" for Mac.  Someone went ahead and acknowleged the gorilla in the room and said flat out, "Piracy is the killer app".

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:22:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Get a Mac......
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Get a Mac......

Cue the next PC vs Macintrash debate.

(yes, Vista does suck, but Macs are for faggots)
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:30:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get a Mac......

Yea but Apple owners have assured us the never shit in PC threads... but then they lie.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:44:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I just got a dell inspiron9400 with 17in wide screen and vista.

I am not a big fan of vista yet.  I guess i am just so used to xp it werid using anything else.

I think xp was easier to use.

This is my first laptop and i love it.  Awesome being on the web sitting on the couch watching tv!

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:45:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get a Mac......

Yea but Apple owners have assured us the never shit in PC threads... but then they lie.

Well shit, what else are we supposed to do with all the time we save not having to fix our computers all the damn time?
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#16]
vista was nothing more than a MS update because XP was 'getting old'

it is not better, it is not more efficient; it is a resource hog, & a waste of money

(vista beta tester here)
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:47:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
"You're coming to a sad realization.  Cancel or Allow?"

Well I am posting from my desktop and XP is curently being installed. Vista is just lame
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:51:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get a Mac......

Well shit, what else are we supposed to do with all the time we save not having to fix our computers all the damn time?

You could march in the local gay rights parade?
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:54:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been running Vista for a 3-4 months now.  It takes a little getting used to but some of the features that it now offers compared to XP are just great.  And it does offer a whole new ease of security that was more difficult to use in XP for most people.
Give it some time and get used to it.  It will grow on you...
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:35:16 PM EDT
[#20]
annoying is more like it
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:53:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get a Mac......

You could march in the local gay rights parade?

I'm sorry if your personal sexual identity is fragile enough to be swayed by your chosen brand of computer, but I am thankful that mine is not

Were it the case that it was, I'd be a bisexual prostitute though.  I support both platforms professionally.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#23]
You need at least 2 gigs of RAM for good performance in Vista...
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:58:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Install gentoo with transgaming and get everything you already have.

Get security that makes MAC safety look like a crack hoe... install OpenBSD

"Defective by design" is going to deplete MicroSoft's userbase RSN. Especially when the alternatives are free or very low cost.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I'm sorry if your personal sexual identity is fragile enough to be swayed by your chosen brand of computer, but I am thankful that mine is not

Were it the case that it was, I'd be a bisexual prostitute though.  I support both platforms professionally.  

Mac users have a sexual identity… who da thunk it.

Why are you so insecure with your computer choices you feel a need to shit in this tread?
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

"Defective by design" is going to deplete MicroSoft's userbase RSN. Especially when the alternatives are free or very low cost.  

Been hearing that for 10 years... still not happening.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:04:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
You need at least 2 gigs of RAM for good performance in Vista...

Not true Vista will run fine on 1GB, 2GBs is better because it allows superfetch to work at its best.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

kind of how like OSX asks for an admin password every other action
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:06:30 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
vista was nothing more than a MS update because XP was 'getting old'

it is not better, it is not more efficient; it is a resource hog, & a waste of money

(vista beta tester here)

XP second edition
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:08:25 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Those alternatives are hardly user friendly for 99% of the people out there.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:08:26 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've been running Vista for a 3-4 months now.  It takes a little getting used to but some of the features that it now offers compared to XP are just great.  And it does offer a whole new ease of security that was more difficult to use in XP for most people.

See, that's the thing.  I don't see _what_ Vista will give me over XP (aside from the Aero or whatever that interface is called).   What's supposed to be so compelling for me to go spend $200 on it?

Early adopters make the best beta testers.  The market isn't in boxed OS copies anyway, it's in volume to OEM's.  Most if not all new machines come with Vista.  You can downgrade, but as time moves on that's going to come at greater and greater price.  Hell, you could run DOS 6.22 on that bad boy if you wanted to.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:12:19 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

XP second edition

Well that is close…

Vistas competition is not OSX and it is not Linux… Vistas only real competition is XP. Vista does have some major improvements and advantages but if you are using XP and you like it why change until you get a new computer.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:25:26 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why are you so insecure with your computer choices you feel a need to shit in this tread?

I'm sorry if you have shit in your tread, try scraping it out with a stick and watch where you step next time.

If you'll scan back a page however, you'll note that this didn't become a hostile posting environment until you popped an o-ring at the mere mention of a competing product, and responded with personal attacks slandering my (quite secure) sexuality.  Grow up.  

I'm sorry Microsoft's latest offering in the OS market sucks so hard and is embittering more of their userbase than ever before, but I had nothing to do with it.

The original post in this thread was a condemnation of a computer operating system.  I made mention of a product which seems to satisfy more of it's users than the product mentioned.  I fail to see how this has anything at all to do with who I like to sleep with.  

And frankly, if my computer choice DOES have something to do with my bedmates, you really SHOULD get a Mac, because my (female) fiancee is a slender, sleek, curvy hot blonde with a dirty mind and a far superior intellect to anything you have yet displayed in this thread.  

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:31:05 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sorry if you have shit in your tread, try scraping it out with a stick and watch where you step next time.

If you'll scan back a page however, you'll note that this didn't become a hostile posting environment until you popped an o-ring at the mere mention of a competing product, and responded with personal attacks slandering my (quite secure) sexuality.  Grow up.  

I'm sorry Microsoft's latest offering in the OS market sucks so hard and is embittering more of their userbase than ever before, but I had nothing to do with it.

The original post in this thread was a condemnation of a computer operating system.  I made mention of a product which seems to satisfy more of it's users than the product mentioned.  I fail to see how this has anything at all to do with who I like to sleep with.  

And frankly, if my computer choice DOES have something to do with my bedmates, you really SHOULD get a Mac, because my (female) fiancee is a slender, sleek, curvy hot blonde with a dirty mind and a far superior intellect to anything you have yet displayed in this thread.  

Wow this thread went crazy pretty fast I installed xp and am posting from my computer now, I have to say vista looks pretty and all that but until I have the money to throw another gig of ram in I am sticking to XP.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:34:38 PM EDT
[#35]
i don't have much hands on experience with Vista but i followed the development alot- it is definitally not just "XP second edition". Vista is a major re-write. i was at a Microsoft launch event this week and they outlined some pretty slick features. it will run much better on higher-powered machines, yes, but it should be able to get by on a lower end machine. all of the barrage of "cancel or allow" dialouges are in my opinion a very good idea, they should help with security, and if you don't like them you are free to turn them off.

i thought about a mac for awhile, then i reached down and made sure my balls were still attached, and asked myself why the hell i would want a steve jobs homo-special

all of you mac fanboys- i am happy you like your computer, but in reality mac amounts to pissing in the ocean of the world of computers
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:36:35 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Get a Mac......

Screw MAC!

Get a better OS like Linux

and keep the superior hardware of the PC
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:42:12 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I see you have reading comprehension problems as well… I suggest you go back and actually read the thread again. If you can actually comprehend you will see I addressed nothing at you until you addressed me with the usually smarmy childish tired clichéd drivel. Now you want to play victim.

Do Apple uses actually every have an original though or just repeat the same worn out silliness over and over and over… as you did above

As usual an Apple users craps in the thread and then whines like a 6 year old and want to play the drama queen victim. It is tiresome, I am done.

ETA: It is Friday night and your fiancée is a slender, sleek, curvy hot blonde with a dirty mind and you are on the Internet trading barbs with me.

Curvy hot blonde.. uh huh. Well you Apple users do have good imaginations.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:43:37 PM EDT
[#38]

if you're new to computers, GET A MAC

if you're experienced, GET A PC
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:44:20 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Good.
I'm going to keep XP for as long as possible as long as I'm computering.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:47:01 PM EDT
[#40]
I see Mac like a Bose

Looks good, Works good. Until you crank it up.

No highs, No lows.. Must be Bose
No power, No speed.. Must be Mac
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:50:33 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Really you ought to give it an honest chance.

I have had it since rc1.  It's great.  Also, i have the ultimate version.  Streaming video to my tv with my 360 is very very cool (although you can already do that with Media Center Edition)

The User Account Control can be disabled.  However, i'd advise you to leave it on.  You see it a lot now because you're configuring settings, installing programs, and so forth.

My advice, give it a try.  Don't be afraid of something new and different.

Also, to answer your questions about eating memory read this

Anandtech Vista Performance and Features Guide

Having said that, you prolly should have researched it a bit before configuring your laptop.  I bet you only have 1 gig of memory and you really need 2 to run Vista to it's fullest potential.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

See, that's the thing.  I don't see _what_ Vista will give me over XP (aside from the Aero or whatever that interface is called).   What's supposed to be so compelling for me to go spend $200 on it?

Read the performance guide from my previous post.  There really are some innovative and new features in Vista that improve performance.  Right now there aren't many programs designed for these new features so it's hard for the end user to "see" an improvement.

To everyone.  Like it or not Vista is the future...  We have all seen these arguements before when XP first came out.  Give it a chance.  YES it is different, and operates and uses system resources MUCH differently, and that's NOT a bad thing.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get a Mac......

Screw MAC!

Get a better OS like Linux

and keep the superior hardware of the PC

You are aware that MAC now runs on intel hardware...  right?

Hell you can install Windows on your powerbook if you like.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

haha this comercial has convinced me to buy a mac next time.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#46]
   Microsoft has gotten so big its gone the way of the auto
companies.  They give us what they think we want, not what
we would like.  Sounds fair enough, but only if you get Vista
for free.  Personally I'm staying with XP.  Gets the job done,
and I already have it.  WTF was Microsoft thinking?
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:37:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Somebody tell me how to print a damn Fed Ex label from the website in Vista.  I don't know whether it is Vista's security or Norton Internet Security choking the computer, but it won't let me print anything off the net.

I want XP back, but unfortunately I had to buy a new computer and Vista came on it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:43:16 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Somebody tell me how to print a damn Fed Ex label from the website in Vista.  I don't know whether it is Vista's security or Norton Internet Security choking the computer, but it won't let me print anything off the net.

I want XP back, but unfortunately I had to buy a new computer and Vista came on it.

First of all ditch Norton Internet Security. You should be able to get by with the internal firewall and windows defender. Other than that you shouldn't have any issues printing in Vista.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:50:18 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

First of all ditch Norton Internet Security. You should be able to get by with the internal firewall and windows defender. Other than that you shouldn't have any issues printing in Vista.

Ditto.  Norton Internet Security is worst than most spyware.  It causes WAY more problems than it fixes.

If you're worried about viruses try to get a hold of a copy of symantec corporate.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:57:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Meh, you guys are weird.

I've got hundreds of desktops and servers.  Most PC and MSFT Server products, some Mac, some Linux and just about every form of hardware in the game.

Each one of them plays a role and every one of them is cool in its own way.

Get what you like, use it til it falls apart or fails to deliver, then change or move up.

We are starting to get in our fist Vista boxes and notebooks next week.  We've already lab'd it out.

My impressions have been so-so.  My only concerns are performance and does it pose any challenges to our baseline suite of technologies and apps.  So far it's been fine but it also does not represent any great advantage to our (and I suspect any) environment and user base.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top