Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2007 11:40:54 AM EDT
The wind pushed it out of alignment this weekend.  Anyone know how to realign it?
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:43:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Find direction its supposed to be, have someone watch signal and point.  Easy.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:47:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Find direction its supposed to be, have someone watch signal and point.  Easy.

Yup, there should be a page on the menu that has the signal strength on it...
~Dg84
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:48:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:49:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Hopefully just a couple of bolts got loose so realignment is just on one plain.
If this a for a TV reciever go to the signal strength page on the installation menu of the receiver. You really need one person to watch this screen while to adjust the dish.

If it is very far off you might need to realign using a compass as well.

It gets a bit more complicated with dishes that have multiple LNBs for multiple satellites.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#5]
The first time I did it, it was a royal bitch to find the signal.

Now that I have done it many times, it is very simple.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:01:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What kind of dish?  How many LNBs (nosecones)?

-Troy  <-- owns/runs a DirecTV installation company

It's a Dish 500, it has one nosecone.  I have a Duo DVR (625) receiver and a single receiver (301).  I managed to get the DVR receiver working by testing the switches using the remote, but the 301 is still having problems.  I am able to receive about half of the channels, but I lost the other half including local channels and all programming.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:04:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I did it with a compass and inclinometer of sorts and it wasn't that hard.  Less trips up on the roof than I normally take to fix a plumbing problem.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What kind of dish?  How many LNBs (nosecones)?

-Troy  <-- owns/runs a DirecTV installation company

It's a Dish 500, it has one nosecone.  I have a Duo DVR (625) receiver and a single receiver (301).  I managed to get the DVR receiver working by testing the switches using the remote, but the 301 is still having problems.  I am able to receive about half of the channels, but I lost the other half including local channels and all programming.
Sounds like the LNB for one satellite is picking up the other satellite, and the other lnb is picking up nothing
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:30:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#10]
This thread is a testament to the vast amount of knowledge and information that can be found on ARFCOM. It has got to be one of the best sites on the .net...

~Dg84
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:44:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Excuse me if this is a stupid question, I don't have a dish.  Could you take a small, portable TV with a short peice of cable right out to the dish so you could see the screen as you aim it?  

I watched a truck driver one time stand on his step and aim his with his window down.  I asked him how he'd know when he got it right and he said he'd be able to hear the TV.

If the small TV idea wont work don't beat me up too bad, as I say,  I don't have a dish or know anything about them.  I'm just curious.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Excuse me if this is a stupid question, I don't have a dish.  Could you take a small, portable TV with a short peice of cable right out to the dish so you could see the screen as you aim it?  

I watched a truck driver one time stand on his step and aim his with his window down.  I asked him how he'd know when he got it right and he said he'd be able to hear the TV.

If the small TV idea wont work don't beat me up too bad, as I say,  I don't have a dish or know anything about them.  I'm just curious.
Yes but you would have to bring the receiver also, or a long cable from the receiver to the tv
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:55:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I have to do it on occasion with my Direct Tv dish every year or so. The Direct tv system has a signal strength menu option...it will beep a tone....and when it gets a good signal its a constant tone, better the signal the higher the pitch of the tone..I just turn the tv way up, open the window closest to the antenna and start adjusting and when I get the highest tone I can I bolt it all down.  Its about a 5 minute process for me at this point.  very simple
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:59:14 PM EDT
[#14]
two people and a walkie talkie make it easy
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:59:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Yes but you would have to bring the receiver also, or a long cable from the receiver to the tv

Okay, now I get it.  I guess I should have figured out there was more to dish TV than just a dish and a TV.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:03:40 PM EDT
[#16]
1-800-COMCAST(266-2278)

or here

this should help you out with your pesky problem.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#17]
My dish has been in the same spot four six years. Four feet off the ground on the side of the house. Completely blocked by trees and bushes now. Amazingly it works fine.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top