Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2007 10:46:59 AM EDT
Got home from the range a minute ago.  Today was trash day and it's windy. In addition to my garbage can tossed haphazardly into my driveway there was some trash paper blowing around next to the door.  I picked it up and found:

A photocopy of my neighbor's Social Security card.

My neighbor's bank statement, showing the account number and a balance of over 14k.

He's very lucky I found it.  Think I should give it back to him or just trash it?  Or I'll take bids starting at 3k.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 10:56:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Just post pics of these items so we can see what we need to be shredding.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 10:57:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I shred and burn.People are stupid.

Works for me though-had to take some shitbags to court-went thru their garbage and got more than enough info.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 10:57:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought this was gonna have something to with a boating accident and HR1022.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I shred EVERYTHING.

And I mean everything.  If it's got my name, addres, phone number, or anything on it it goes into the shredder.  No dumpster diving will get my info.  Of course it's just the low hanging fruit ID thieves that foils, but it's better than nothing....
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 10:58:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Jsut give it back to our neighbor and tell him to burn/ shred that type of stuff.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 10:59:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Burn it.  Carlos Mencia already showed us his de-shredding machine.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:00:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Use it to open up a credit card --when it comes in--put it in a card with the words----- "For a clue"
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:01:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I shred EVERYTHING.

And I mean everything.  If it's got my name, addres, phone number, or anything on it it goes into the shredder.  No dumpster diving will get my info.  Of course it's just the low hanging fruit ID thieves that foils, but it's better than nothing....

yep... Good practice to do that.  I do the same
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:04:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:06:20 AM EDT
[#10]
You can always invest in a decent double cut shredder.
It makes great confetti.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:10:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I used to burn.  Into the stove in the winter and bagged on the brush pile in the summer.

Now I shred.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:10:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Crosscut shredder.  Give them back to your neighbor and explain how foolish his current disposal method is.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:23:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Crosscut shredder then BURN BABY, BURN!!!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:30:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Shred then burn.

Then use the ashes to make the "bread of lamentation" which I then feed to my unsuspecting enemies.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:56:54 AM EDT
[#15]
For those that say "Shred then burn" apparently never tried the "burn" part.

I've found that the shredded confetti is very difficult to completely burn, and usually just smolders.

Another thing to remember...  Don't pour gasoline into the burn barrel before filling it with the shredded confetti...  You will think you are in NYC during a tickertape parade.

All I heard was "WHOOSH!" and a whole garbage bag worth of shredded documents came out of my burn barrel like they were shot from a cannon. It wouldn't have been that bad if it hadn't been in the middle of my stone driveway.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:00:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I just shred, mix in a lot of junk mail with the sensitive stuff.  I drop off to recycling container myself and make sure i spread it around with all the other paper that's there.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:05:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
For those that say "Shred then burn" apparently never tried the "burn" part.

I've found that the shredded confetti is very difficult to completely burn, and usually just smolders.

I shred then burn using a burn barrel. It burns much easier and more completely if shredded. Have you tried venting your burn barrel?

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:07:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I can certainly understand why you'd want to burn linearly shredded strips, but with a good crosscut shredder, why bother to burn?
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:10:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I crosscut shred it, then bag it and till the shreddings into my flower gardens as mulch.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:11:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Shred.

Then burn the shreds.

Then take the ashes and mix into concrete.

Now you're safe
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:11:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:35:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Shred.

Then burn the shreds.

Now you're safe

NOOOOOO that isn't safe at all.   after mixing the concrete you  must send it through a grinder and reconsititute it into a new road.  

now am I the biggest smartass on arfcom?  
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:39:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Shred.
Then burn the shreds.
Now you're safe

NOOOOOO that isn't safe at all.   after mixing the concrete you  must send it through a grinder and reconsititute it into a new road.  

now am I the biggest smartass on arfcom?  

If he makes the concrete in blocks and then dumps the blocks into the ocean, he'll be fine, at least until the ID thieves get better scuba gear.  

Seriously, I have a cross-cut shredder beefy enough to shred credit cards too.  Not only does it do a better job than a straight-cut type, it also makes for more compact shreds.  I don't bother burning.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:51:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I cross cut shred and when I dump that into the big trash bag that goes to the dump I throughly hand mix up all the shredded material.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:54:35 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I shred EVERYTHING.

I pay special attention to credit card offers. Name, address, enough info to make me responsible for someone else's vacation.

eta

They need to be stirred. All paper should be stirred when burning; else the image remains on the sheet! Didn't youlearn ANY thing from your 007 kit from the Crackerjacks box?

Shred then burn. Then use the ashes to make the "bread of lamentation" which I then feed to my unsuspecting enemies.

More information, please!
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:54:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Oh, yeah!

Anything that I don't hold on to for record keeping goes to the shredder.  Receipts, credit card offers and other related bullshit.  Hell I even strip off the mailing labels from boxes before they go to the recycling bin.

Chances are if you gave it back to him you'd get the deer in the headlights look and a "So?" response.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 1:02:55 PM EDT
[#27]
I burn it.

Why take chances.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:30:35 PM EDT
[#28]
If it can be read, it must be shred.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top