Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2007 6:38:57 AM EDT
Been two big topics lately.

Jim Zumbo - Fudd sportswriter who characterized black rifles as "terrorist weapons."

HR1022 - The current manifestation of the renewal of the assault weapon ban.

So which has gotten more of our attention. Which one has gotten the participation of more members. Which one has more people emailing and making calls?

Sad to report it seems like the former.

Topics are nearly twice as long in general and with far more hits. I know that isn't a scientific gauge of participation, but I also think it means a lot.

To be sure, many of us directly addressed both issues. I contacted all of my reps. and Senators regarding HR 1022 (even the ones I know support it) and I "think" I sent an email when the original "terrorist rifle" hoopla occured.

But sadly, there are also going to be people who were very involved in the Zumbo affair who still haven't called, emailed or bothered their reps about HR 1022.

And I don't know why anyone would do that.

Even in his "evil balck rifle" days (going back a week or so here) Zumbo was far more in line with our feelings on firearms than most people in Congress. To them, Zumbo is a gun nut.

Now I'm not defending the guy. When you mass media such notions it does nothing but empower those who seek to pass shit like HR 1022, and politicians can even cite moronic shit such as that as evidence that even the gun community knows these things are bad.

But it is our representatives in Congress, and not sports writers who pass laws that effect our lives.

And I'm just not seeing the same kind of dedication being devoted to their retirement.

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:40:23 AM EDT
[#1]
IBTL
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:42:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Id say the Jim Zumbo affair. If we could onlt take that amount of PWNAGE and direct it toward anti gun bills
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:42:58 AM EDT
[#3]
It was apparent that there was more attention being paid to Zumbo, so I spent my time on HR1022, personally.

Woody
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:43:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Zumbo. It's easier to pile on one guy than it is to pile on 500+ senators and congress critters.

FWIW, I sent emails to companies on Zumbogate and emailed my rep on HR1022
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:43:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I've called and email my repsresentative and senators on HR 1022.  I've even called the VA rep that sits on this committee and voice my opposition.  You are right and most of these that are complaining won't give a dime to any RKBA org out there.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:45:57 AM EDT
[#6]
The only good thing that came out of Jim Bozo is the Dems did get to see what kind of shit storm can happen when some body throws a turd at us!
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:46:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Isn't it the same old story.  Criminals commit crimes using firearms so the logic becomes "take them away from everyone."

Zumbo was a distraction.  As you can see Petzal was already an anti (and Zumbo too).  All they did was come out of the closet to some people.   Others remembered them and their Quisling mentality.

Nothing new here.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:48:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Zumbo. It's easier to pile on one guy than it is to pile on 500+ senators and congress critters.

+1
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:49:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Zumbo got more noise, but as to which event garnered more activity, that's hard to say.  I did both.  I've been emailing and calling about the AWB and some legislation that's come up in my own state as well.  I've also made several posts and sent several emails over the Zumbo incident.

Zumbo has been a hot flash in the pan, it popped up quick and in a week or two it will be nearly forgotten by most as long as Zumbo fades away, which if the Fudds are smart they'll allow him to do.  But the AWB will be a long fight, it might seem less hot, but over time it will get, I predict, more action.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:50:07 AM EDT
[#10]
well the sad facts are that the zumbo affair was fun to alot of people.  They are simply too lazy to do the right thing.  I participated in both.  I have called, emailed, written letters on both.  But I have sent more against H.R. 1022.  Its the bigger issue.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:59:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
well the sad facts are that the zumbo affair was fun to alot of people.  They are simply too lazy to do the right thing.  I participated in both.  I have called, emailed, written letters on both.  But I have sent more against H.R. 1022.  Its the bigger issue.

+1  The biggest difference between the two is that we were successful with Zumbo. Sadly, our elected congress does not have to answer to anyone, and the only way to get them to change their minds is not through logic but through threats and bribes.

So much for the Republic. I give it another 25 years tops.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:09:03 AM EDT
[#12]
The whole Zumbo thing happened so fast I didnt even read it before it was winding down. I think that is why everyones response was successfull.
It got me thinking, what if we coordinated our response to our reps in Congress. A surgical strike if you will. I have a feeling that the only way we can really win is through some coordinated and timed email blast. Its hard to ignore an issue (or your constituence) when you get a zillion emails and calls all in the same couple of days, just like its hard for them to ignore the million mom march sort of stuff.
Just my .02c
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:23:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The whole Zumbo thing happened so fast I didnt even read it before it was winding down. I think that is why everyones response was successfull.
It got me thinking, what if we coordinated our response to our reps in Congress. A surgical strike if you will. I have a feeling that the only way we can really win is through some coordinated and timed email blast. Its hard to ignore an issue (or your constituence) when you get a zillion emails and calls all in the same couple of days, just like its hard for them to ignore the million mom march sort of stuff.
Just my .02c

It wasn't so much a "surgical strike" on Zumbo so much as mass participation.

People didn't wait to email later, they just did it. And everyone who was involved actually did it.

It never fails to amaze me, somebody will take the time to post a topic complete with all contact emails and phone numbers, provide sample letters and 8 people will reply before the topic dies.

I don't know where apathy comes from in this crowd, they generally aren't known for it. But when they have to actually deal with the people who actually WILL DECIDE what is legal and what is not, they get cold feet.

Ironically many of the them talk of days when they will take up arms against the same. I'm pretty sure they won't get to that item on their "to do" list either.

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:32:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I think Zumbo got more attention because it was more of a slap in the face from someone we knew and we all took it personally, while we always expect to be screwed by the gov. so it's never a surprise.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:29:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Zumbo.
It's the shock and disbelief that "one of our own" would turn out to be a VPC shill. Zumbo has provided "aid and comfort" to an enemy of America and the American Constitution. He should be hanged for sedition.
And we have done that to him, personally and professionally.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:31:35 AM EDT
[#16]
I cock punched Zumbo and emailed my Reps.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:38:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Hey, don't expect me to take time to write my congressman or senator to affect national gun-control policies - I'm too busy ranting on the internet about what some Fudd said in a blog.

Congress won't listen to us anyway, that's why I don't ever call or write them - but all our responses sure did get that Fudd's attention. And that's what's important.

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:47:57 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I think Zumbo got more attention because it was more of a slap in the face from someone we knew and we all took it personally, while we always expect to be screwed by the gov. so it's never a surprise.

+1000.

The other difference is that HR1022 will be around for months, while the Zumbo issue was raised and dealt with in less than a week.

Has a date for a committee vote (never mind a full House vote) on HR1022 even been scheduled yet?
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:52:42 AM EDT
[#19]
I did a couple of quick & dirty Photochops in the Zumbo Photoshop Thread..Just because I had nothing better to do that night.

As for writing my Rep's...I live in Oklahoma. The only State in the Union where every county in the state went for Bush in the last election. I don't have to worry to much about how my congress critters going to vote.

About 90% of the threads I've been involved with in GD for the last month or so, Have been about the coming conflict with Iran.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:54:50 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just my .02c

It wasn't so much a "surgical strike" on Zumbo so much as mass participation.

<snip>

It was more like carpet bombing
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:57:39 AM EDT
[#21]
in true arfcom style I got both
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:07:22 AM EDT
[#22]
I said this before - Zumbo was an easy target.  Now is the time to keep the momentum and turn our attention to the Congressional threats, and not just to firearm ownership, but to the Republic.

I also said this - the grabbers are laughing at gun owner over our in-fighting, precisely behavior we ridicule them about.

We have to learn to speak with one voice, with a consistent and constant message putting the Congress and their financiers on notice that the citizens of the US are fed up.  And we have to get voice speaking, in clear, concise, and unambiguous terms, else all is lost.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 10:04:53 AM EDT
[#23]
I hear ya.  If we only had so much energy for these AW bills.

My rep is actually a pro-gun guy.  I wrote him anyway.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 10:25:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 10:47:41 AM EDT
[#25]
There is s big difference between Zumbo and the House of Congress.

Zumbo was easy to shut down because his sponsors knew they would go under if they didn't fire him RTFN.  Everyone in the firearms/outdoor sports business remembers the ass kicking that was handed to S&W by consumers a few years ago.  They didn't want to get their asses kicked in the same manner.

Try to do the same thing with your Congressman or Senator.  What Congressional product will you be able to boycott???  Ever try to defund the IRS???  The politicians don't need YOUR vote to win.  Politicians don't need to sell x number of widgets to keep their children fed...
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:13:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:21:23 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Bingo
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:23:42 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
in true arfcom style I got both

I got in on Operation Zumbo Drop, called about HR1022, and called some state senators here about a pile of crap the state dems are trying to push through.

I feel pretty good about my participation in the process this week.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:26:49 AM EDT
[#29]
I sent emails to all sponsors with Zumbo deal.
I made a bulletin on myspace last night about boycotting Time Warner publications and sent to everyone on my email list, even non shooters, explaining importance of 2nd Ammendment, redundant to us but not to non shooters I know.
I wrote my Congressman and Senator even though both are pro gun, just to remind them.
Sent emails to all Field and Stream email addys I could get over the Petzal tool.

Now I am thinking we need to draft Ollie North to run in 08.
(well I always thought that)

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:51:58 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There is s big difference between Zumbo and the House of Congress.

Exactly right.  While I do write my Congresspersons, writing to MY Senators (Feinstein and Boxer) is a waste of time and money.  I have 3 or 4 copies of the same "agree to disagree" form letters from both of them, and they know very well that they can't be touched here in liberal PRK.

It's hard to find the energy when you know ahead of time that your efforts won't make any difference (in the case of Feinstein & Boxer).  Those who have "moderate" Senators really have the greatest potential to make an impact, but the pro-rights Senators can always use another reminder.  There just isn't much to do, though, if your Senator is a Feinstein, Schumer, or Kennedy.

20,000, or even 100,000 letters aren't going to change Feinstein's vote.

-Troy

Troy you have my sympathy. I was lucky to be able to pick the state I live in when I moved to the US.

I had a similar experience to yours back in Australia in the 1980's with state government politicians. I wrote to all the Senators who all forwarded my letters to the (anti-gun) Police Commissioner. He ended up with about 30 letters from me and had to reply to all the Senators as a courtesy. I could tell he was pissed off from the reply he sent me - it made my day just to annoy that jerk.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:09:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Politicians feed at the public trough financed by the taxpayers. at the trough filled by their financier's, and at the trough filled through back room deals and trades, and at the trough of power filled by the separation of power built into the US Constitution and as far as know, every State constitution.

The first can't be cut off completely, although I believe their propensity for rewarding themselves with lavious pensions and perks ought to be throttled back.  Abuse of the fourth source is dependant on the character of the elected official, and on the voters that put them in place.

The second source can be moderated through the market, excepting for the few individuals that are virtually untouchable by spending their personal wealth.

The third source requires prosecutors and courts of integrity that will send crooks to jail, and in case of unethical by legal actions, outrage from voters and a boot out of office.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:16:02 PM EDT
[#32]
I am sending letters and trying to motivates others that I know to do the same thing.

We are a very very LARGE group.  We should have a very LARGE voice. We out number the illegals everyone is so worried about saving to get their votes.

I say we find out what companies make donations to certain congressional peoples campaigns and tell them we will boycott the hell out of their products if their puppet supports HR1022.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:58:29 PM EDT
[#33]
With all that has been going on with Zumbo, it has been easy to get email addresses, phone numbers, and example statements, and who to send them to.  When you have all of these resources so close at hand, how can you not participate?  From the people I have talked to about the new AWB, I get a lot of "I don't know what to say or who to say it to." It would be great if we could compile a list of people who really need to hear what we have to say.  I understand that the politicians who are on our side should be hearing our case also to keep them motivated, but the ones who are sitting on the fence should really be getting to know our views.  If we could make it easier to get our points across, do you guys think that would help?  I will push any and all good ideas I hear of.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top