Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2001 7:08:20 AM EDT
I just joined up here in Woodbury County (Sioux City, Iowa), and was just wondering if anyone else was a member of a Reserve force.  

Woodbury Co. has 9 months of "basic" training, and then 50 hours of service is recommended before the "advance" training is given.  Total training is 18 months with one night a week.  In basic training we'll learn laws of arresting, basic laws, implied consent, Iowa code, first aid, and impact weapons.  Impact weapons include the 26in asp, PR-24, basic baton, stun gun, and pepper spray.  Advanced training involves mostly firearms.  All unifroms, equipment, and impact weapons are furnished, be we have to furninsh our own sidearm and corresponding ammo (it must be double action, so my beloved Hi-Power is disqualified)).  A 12ga Ithica riot gun is furnished in every cruiser.  I will get a Sherriff's letterhead in order to purchase "normal" magizines for the Sig 226 I am planning to buy.  "Approved" auto models are the Beretta, Glock, S&W, Sig, Ruger, and H&K.  Approved calibers are the 9mm, .40SW, and the .45 ACP.  Revolvers are allowed, but it must be a S&W, Colt, or Taurus.  Calibers can be .38 Special, .357 Mag, .41 Mag, 44 Special, but NOT .44 Mag.  

The Captain in charge of the Reserves (under the Sheriff) is very conservative and believes VERY strongly in the RTKBA.  I am glad I dont have to listen to the anti-BS while in training.  

Enough yappin', anyone else in the Posse' and if so, what kind of training did you have to go through?

JRB

Link Posted: 9/25/2001 7:44:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Yo.
The Sheriff chooses candidates based on prior training.  Hence, lots of retired police, retired state troopers, former military police, etc.
Once accepted, you must purchase your own sidearm and uniforms.  May use only firearms and other equipment w/ which you are certified.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 2:17:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been a reserve with the Shelby Co. Sheriff's Office in Memphis Tn. for about 10 years.

My training lasted for 6 mo.; 2 nights a week and every Saturday. About 400+ hours of training including firearms.

Nowadays the training is about 7 mo. long, 3 nights a week and all day Saturday, about 700 hours including 40 hours of firearms. The training we receive is supposed to be the same as the regular deputies.

We get a 225.00 uniform allotment. We are issued Freeze +P chemical, an ASP collapsible
baton and a Beretta 96D Brigadier pistol and all associated holsters and pouches. We also are issued body armor. Remington 870's are the shotguns we use. No other weapons are approved or allowed.

We work in every division of the agency except SWAT. I worked Patrol my first year and was certified one man car. Then I went to Narcotics for about three years and worked in plain clothes and did a bunch of search warrants
For the last 6 years I've been assigned to the firearms training unit as an instructor. I got to go to FBI Instructor school at the county's expense.

I'll be on the range tonight.

Link Posted: 9/25/2001 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top