Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2001 1:00:30 AM EDT
Since I ain't getting no SKS anytime soon, one of them said he would buy that red "jungle stock" and pay me to install it on a russian SKS.

Turns out that it is easier said than done. I filed down the lip on front end of the stock to fit the ferrule on the russian SKS, but the back part of the action won't seat because the crossbolt is a little too far back. The only solution I can think of is to shorten the stock by grinding down the front end so that the receiver can engage the crossbolt. Hell it is alot of damn work for an $8 stock and $10 installation fee.

Anyone know how to do this easier?
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 4:13:29 AM EDT
[#1]
You have my sympathy!

As a veteran of several battles with the SKS I can assure you there is nothing "drop-in" about anything you want to do to it. I've done 4 SKS stock fittings and the military "red" fiberglass is a hit or miss regarding fit. I had one that was exactly as you describe (I think) The cross-bolt sat too far back to allow the barreled receiver to drop into the groove. I ended up removing the cross-bolt, reaming the hole to a larger diameter with a drill bit, fit the B/A into the stock (used zip ties to hold it in place) then used fiberglass repair resin to fill in the cut-out and hold the relocated cross-bolt in place. I WISH I HAD NEVER STARTED THAT PROJECT! Latter I thought about just removing the cross-bolt completely but I'm not sure what it does exactly.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 10:25:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Aww hell, I guess I am going to have to relocate the crossbolt like you did.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top