Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2001 5:37:00 PM EDT
I'd like to hear from you. Are you happy with yours. Any secrets? I just started the break-in process and the barrel seems to love copper, I have a hell of a time cleaning it![:(]
Link Posted: 1/21/2001 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/21/2001 6:17:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey COZ,

I too have a new PSS in .308 with a Leupold VER.III 3.5X10 Long Range M1. I have yet to shot it or even break it in yet. Let me know how yours does and how long it has taken to get it smooth. I picked up a case of Radway Green for break-in.

St. Louis Bob  [sniper]
Link Posted: 1/21/2001 6:45:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/21/2001 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't personally own one, but I've shot a couple (24" .308).  Both would shoot 1/4MOA with handloads.  Gives me an awsome feeling to put five rounds through the same hole at 100 yards!
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 1:16:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I just ordered a new 700P (New improved PC name for the PSS).

I wanted to see if I could get some suggestions for a base(s) and rings.  

I'm considering the Badger Ordnance or the Leupold Mk4's, but would consider other options.

Due to budget constraints I'll probably opt for a Tasco SS10X42.

Other than SWFA are there any other good vendors I should check out.  Brownell's is the only place I've found advertising the rings and mounts.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 3:56:31 PM EDT
[#6]
[sniper]Leupolds make great scopes and mounts...Lets see what else do ya need??A Harris Bi-pod would help,shooting book,shooting mat,coated cleaning rods,a torque wrench to adjust the HS Precision stock,etc.The list goes on but you get the idea.Good luck and enjoy!!!!!!!!!
View Quote

Yes, I'm budgeting for the bipod, and will get a log for this rifle.  What are folks thoughts on the Harris bipod vs. the versa-pod.  I like the lack of external springs on the versa-pod but based on what I've read to date think the Harris is more durable.

Link Posted: 1/23/2001 3:56:51 PM EDT
[#7]
coz,
I'll pass on a tip I got from Hipower champ David Tubb. to remove stubborn copper fouling, first clean with your regular solvent to remove powder fouling. saturate a NEW bore brush with sweets 7.62. push it through the bore from the breach end. saturate it again at the muzzle. repeat 3 times at the muzzle, then push it through 10 times, saturate it again at the muzzle, and give it another 10 strokes. by this time, your cleaning rod will be covered with blue foam. let it sit for 10 min., then push 2 patches soaked in rubbing alcohol through the bore to nuetralize the sweets. A couple of dry patches, then a oiled patch, and it should be clean. you can also wash the bore brush in sweets so it doesn't dissolve. A bore brush won't hurt your barrel if you use a good coated rod, like a dewey, and a bore guide. this procedure is much, much faster than swabbing the bore with sweets and waiting for it to dissolve the copper.

Potshot
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Hipower,
This is just my opinion, but since it's free, I'll give it to you. Pass on the Tasco. save your money and get the leupold 3.5x10 or 4.5x14 tactical scope.
I've tried them all, and there simply is no comparison.

Potshot
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 5:04:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Have the LTR .308 with DM. LOVE IT!!! A buddy who was a Ranger sniper said he'd plug the end of his barrel and pour the copper remover they use down the other end and let it sit. Now I don't know if he was FOS, I'm a bit more conservative with my Sweets since I have to buy it.
[sniper]
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 6:14:42 PM EDT
[#10]
My Pss will shoot 5/8MOA all day. Bedded it into an AICS stock. After I got rid of the "ping" after each shot, I was happy.

I broke mine in with 1 shot and clean for 25 shots. Then 2 shots and clean till I got 50rd total. I use the Hoppes#9for cleaning. Don't let it sit too long, it will pit your bore. A friend let his sit all night, I thought he was gonna cry. It was that bad.
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 4:43:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Hipower,
This is just my opinion, but since it's free, I'll give it to you. Pass on the Tasco. save your money and get the leupold 3.5x10 or 4.5x14 tactical scope.
I've tried them all, and there simply is no comparison.

Potshot
View Quote

Potshot,

Granted I don't group Tasco in the league with Leupold, but everything I've read about the Tasco SS's has been positive.

I could splurge and get the high end Leupold variable, but I'm not sure it's worth if for my needs.  

Can you offer a comparison of the Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40 with the mid-dot, vs. the Tasco SS10-42? The Vari-X II is in the price range I (and my wife) is comfortable with.

I know the Tasco is a 30mm tube offering greater adjustment range, but I'm not sure about the Leupold.
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 5:00:12 AM EDT
[#12]
What are folks thoughts on the Harris bipod vs. the versa-pod.  I like the lack of external springs on the versa-pod but based on what I've read to date think the Harris is more durable.

View Quote

The Harris attaches directly to the forward stud on the 700P, leaving the stud behind it for your sling.  I understand the Versa Pod needs some kind of adapter to be usable on this rifle.  I have the Harris.
For scope, you can get the Leupold 3.5-10x40 Tactical for a little under $500; that is the scope I have.  It seems to be pretty much standard for a 700P.

Go to Sinclair International for  
serious parts and accessories for your rifle.
www.sinclairintl.com
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 6:44:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I saw in Cabella's shooting catalog that Tubbs is marketing abrasive-coated bullets for fire-lapping.  Anybody have any experience with fire-lapping a barrel and the ease of cleaning afterwards?
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 6:51:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Hipower,
I'll admit that I'm biased in favor of leupold, based on my own personal experience. There has been a lot of discussion about various scopes at http://www.snipercountry.com/hottips/HotCold.htm
Potshot
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 6:59:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Centauro97,
Firelapping can be beneficial in rough factory bores. If your rifle fouls excessively, It might be a good idea.

Potshot
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 7:14:33 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd go with the Harris Bipod over the Versapod.  

Snipercountry.com has a Versapod product review and they don't like it.  

I have a Harris and have no complaints.  It does seem a bit bulky at times, but the thing is solid as a rock and is durable.  BTW, the springs, ugly as they are,  keep the legs in up or down position nice and tight.  There is no rattling or looseness.  It is a very sturdy, solid, quiet bipod.  

I guess the king of all bipods - Parker Hale is supposed to be some piece of work, but they are expensive.  I've never seen one up close.

However, when it does come to bench shooting, I prefer using a benchrest or sandbags.  They're much easier to adjust and provide a much more solid/steady shooting platform than any bipod can.

The bipod would be great for field deployment 'cause it's fast, easy, and light.
Link Posted: 1/29/2001 6:25:58 PM EDT
[#17]
^
Link Posted: 1/30/2001 12:08:29 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a question.. I was reading S.W.A.T. magazine and they said the 700 PSS is now referred to as the 700 P.  Is this correct, and if so, are there any differences ?
Link Posted: 1/30/2001 2:40:06 AM EDT
[#19]
A couple of questions:

1 What is firelapping ? I just bought my first rifle and err...yea.

2. Is this true ?

[b]"I use the Hoppes#9for cleaning. Don't let it sit too long, it will pit your bore. A friend let his sit all night, I thought he was gonna cry. It was that bad."[/b]

I let the Hoppes soak in my handgun barrels for days all the time. So far so good, should I NOT be doing this ?
Link Posted: 1/30/2001 5:44:47 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a question.. I was reading S.W.A.T. magazine and they said the 700 PSS is now referred to as the 700 P.  Is this correct, and if so, are there any differences ?
View Quote

That's what I understand.  

I have a 700P on order that should be in this week.  

I'll post to this thread what I get, and owners of the less PC named PSS's can fill us in on any differences.
Link Posted: 1/30/2001 9:59:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Dungus,

Lapping a barrel is a way of "sanding smooth" the bore.  This is either done by pushing lead slugs coated with abrasive through the barrel by hand (hand lapping) or can be done by shooting an abrasive-coated bullet through the barrel.  Midway sells a kit to coat your own bullets, and Cabelas sells a kit of pre-coated bullets from David Tubbs of highpower fame.

I've seen reviews where a good barrel shoots no better after fire lapping, but no worse.   With a rough barrel that copper fouls quickly, fire lapping would probably help, and shouldn't hurt.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/30/2001 4:59:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Hipower,
I am running the Tasco SS10x42 on my PSS. Took it in on trade, tried it and it has stayed on my rifle. Also have owned Leupolds in the past, a great scope but certainly not the only game in town. Running Badger Ord. base & rings on mine. Welcome to the addiction!
Link Posted: 1/31/2001 4:47:07 AM EDT
[#23]
OK.  The rifle I recieved is a Remington "700 POLICE".  No more "evil" "PSS".  There is no marking on the rifle (like they do the 870 Police) and I'm not sure there ever was on the old PSS.

As far as I can tell, the rifle is the same as the old PSS.

Heavy contour 26" barrel, matte finish, HS Precsion stock w/ dual sling studs to accomodate a bipod and a floorplate style action.

I can't wait til I can get the rest of the parts for this project together and try this thing out!!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2001 12:57:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Hipower - cool, so how much did you snag one for?
Link Posted: 1/31/2001 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Exactly how is a Remington "PSS"
receiver marked, also does the box indicate the model "PSS"?
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/31/2001 1:34:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Exactly how is a Remington "PSS"
receiver marked, also does the box indicate the model "PSS"?
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/31/2001 1:43:02 PM EDT
[#27]
I want to get a PSS, left handed, in .308. Where is the best place to get one?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top