Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2001 6:22:52 PM EDT
I have been looking around on the internet and have noticed alot of "G3's" that are built on US recievers, how good are these and does anyone know where I could get a good price on one?  Thanks in advance

Matt
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have been looking around on the internet and have noticed alot of "G3's" that are built on US recievers, how good are these and does anyone know where I could get a good price on one?  Thanks in advance

Matt
View Quote

Here's the deal. Of the (4) U.S. receivers you can choose from, they are ALL JUNK.

1. Century Arms (Stamped) - The KING of JUNK. You can make better receivers in your kitchen with Renoylds Wrap.

2. Hesse Arms (Stamped) - World Famous Junk. Built from slightly better tinfoil, but not heat treated.

3. Federal Arms (Aluminum) - Big CLUNKY junk. The LEAST likely to blow up and kill you, but ugly as sin and assembled at Century Arms, world famous for their lack of care.

4. Special Weapons - No better than the others, but only costs twice as much. Assembled by the biggest moron in the business.

But don't despair. Get a FMP reciever(HK contract), a NEW H&K part kit(Hard to find and pricy sometimes) and send it to a REAL gunsmith who has HK tools and presses.

Bottom line, a GOOD G3 for $600.00 does NOT exist. And don't let them fool you with the Cetmes, they are Special Weapons receivers and built AT Special Weapons. Good paint jobs cover TONS of flaws.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 8:24:12 PM EDT
[#2]
So like, if I bought a preban G3A3, should I just go out and get a HK factory original? Is there anything comparable? I'm kind of interested. They seem to be great rifles, and they have splenty of spare parts and magazines. I don't know if I like the M1A rifle or not.

themao [chainsawkill]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 8:37:56 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have a preban G3A3 why would you worry about another rifle?
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 9:12:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Well sh*t!  That doesn't sound very encouraging.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 4:03:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well sh*t!  That doesn't sound very encouraging.  
View Quote

Yesterday I was looking into the CETME, now I will probably just let it drop.  There are lots of good guns out there for decent prices.  

Good luck.

[flame][flame][flame]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 4:25:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Not a flame at all, bro... but why "Velveeta" [:)]

Tyler
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 5:45:46 AM EDT
[#7]
There are indeed some good postbans out there...

Here is my Portuguese "XG3S" imported as a complete rifle by PARS International.  I removed the thumbhole and did the US parts conversion.  All in all, this is a nice rifle. (The last 3 digits of the serial are masked)

[IMG]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=192182&a=1409106&p=54500326&Sequence=0&res=high[/IMG]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 5:51:34 AM EDT
[#8]
But that's an FMP receiver (see above post).  Those are known to be good receivers...the U.S. made ones are JUNK, as stated above.

Be careful, Toad will sue you for talking about his 'guns' that way.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 6:00:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Yo DriftPunch---I have your rifles brother. PARS import---5/89---0030XX. Bought it new from KY Imports.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 6:12:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Now Steyr that's not completely fair, my Dad bought 2 of the Federal Arms G3's, now I'll admit they are ugly as hell.  However both rifles are extremely reliable as far as function, and the accuracy is'nt half bad either.  And they are cheaper than a post ban AR at $489, now I have'nt owned the CETME and probably never will now that you have linked them to SW, but I saw these rifles in Shotgun News for $395.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 7:08:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 10:31:19 AM EDT
[#12]
DriftPunch, yours is not a kit gun. That was completely built in Portugal and is no longer imported. If only they still came in.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 11:37:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I know.  I am merely pointing out that there are decent postbans in circulation in addition to the SAR 8s.

I agree with your conclusions.  A $600 clone may function properly, but will more than likey have some defects that don't hamper function.

Here's my original CETME (note the optics mounts):

[IMG]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=192182&a=1409106&p=48016863&Sequence=0&res=high[/IMG]  
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 11:41:36 AM EDT
[#14]
There is a store here in Buffalo that has a Cetme for $800! and a Hesse "HK-91" for $900! What a deal! I'll take two!
BrenLover
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 12:35:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Why buy any 91/93 style rifle?

About the only thing you can say good about the original is they are reliable and reasonably accurate.

On the downside they are heavy, destroy brass and have the crappiest ergonomics of any rifle every built.

The clones appear to be mostly fecal matter, with a a few that rise to level of just a plain turd.

I'd go with a FAL variant (Check out DSA's STGs') or M1A every time.  

The humble opinion of a HK91 owner.

Flame away o'great defenders of the H&K mantle.

Link Posted: 9/25/2001 1:00:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 9:09:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Why buy any 91/93 style rifle?

About the only thing you can say good about the original is they are reliable and reasonably accurate.

On the downside they are heavy, destroy brass and have the crappiest ergonomics of any rifle every built.

The clones appear to be mostly fecal matter, with a a few that rise to level of just a plain turd.

I'd go with a FAL variant (Check out DSA's STGs') or M1A every time.  

The humble opinion of a HK91 owner.

Flame away o'great defenders of the H&K mantle.

View Quote

My HK91 can beat up your FAL anyday.

Seriously I find the HK91 to be more reliable and comfortable than the FAL. The FAL is bigger and heavier than the HK91. But I still love FALS too.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 7:22:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Styer, I wish I had a FAL.  It's on my list for some day, but something will have to go to make room.  The HK is a likely candidate, since I don't like it, and there are HK-ophiles that would pay twice what I have in it.

Brouhaha,

If I could find a FAL type rifle that met my requirements, I would sell the HK in a heart beat.  

If anyone in VA wants to trade a DSA STG plus cash for a HK, I'm willing to listen.  Offer only open to legal residents of VA.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 7:31:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Try a Springfield Armory SAR-8.  This is same as G3.  No longer made, but you can still find one for about $900.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:29:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Try a Springfield Armory SAR-8.  This is same as G3.  No longer made, but you can still find one for about $900.
View Quote

Actually the OLD SAR8 is Greek not Portugese. But still a HK contract gun from Hellenic Arms.

But be careful, Springfield still offers the SAR8, but it is a Federal Arms milled receiver built at Century Arms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top