Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/18/2007 3:01:24 PM EDT
This is Exec Ed John B Snow's statement concerning Zumbo and his statements. Apparently they are more concerned with loosing readers than listening to them . They picked which side they are on & so must we:

As a point of clarification about this blog, it is important for everyone to realize that the opinions expressed here are Jim’s and not necessarily those of Outdoor Life.

I’ve been friends with Jim for many years and have shared countless great times with him talking about both hunting and guns. While I totally support Jim’s right to express his point of view—this is his blog after all—I don’t happen to agree with him on this matter.

His position that AR- and AK-style rifles don’t have a place among our “sporting arms” is not one that I personally, or Outdoor Life as a magazine, happens to share.

In the six years that I’ve worked at Outdoor Life we have never wavered in our support of our Second Amendment rights, which don’t, and shouldn’t, make a distinction about the cosmetic look of the guns that we choose take to our local gun clubs or into hunting camp.

That said, I don’t expect every other hunter and sportsman out there to have a set of opinions that moves in lockstep with mine. So while I don’t share Jim’s view on this, I also know that he is still the same wonderfully talented and good-natured person he was before this post went up. For those of you who have followed him for all or part of his more than thirty years at Outdoor Life, I would ask you to bear that in mind before damning him with ugly personal attacks.

John B. Snow
   Executive Editor
   Outdoor Life
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 3:02:44 PM EDT
[#1]
IBTL

We already have 345 Zumbo threads.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 3:03:13 PM EDT
[#2]
So Zumbo is entitled to his opinion, but we are not to ours?

Whatever.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 3:03:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
This is Exec Ed John B Snow's statement concerning Zumbo and his statements. Apparently they are more concerned with loosing readers than listening to them . They picked which side they are on & so must we:

As a point of clarification about this blog, it is important for everyone to realize that the opinions expressed here are Jim’s and not necessarily those of Outdoor Life.

I’ve been friends with Jim for many years and have shared countless great times with him talking about both hunting and guns. While I totally support Jim’s right to express his point of view—this is his blog after all—I don’t happen to agree with him on this matter.

His position that AR- and AK-style rifles don’t have a place among our “sporting arms” is not one that I personally, or Outdoor Life as a magazine, happens to share.

In the six years that I’ve worked at Outdoor Life we have never wavered in our support of our Second Amendment rights, which don’t, and shouldn’t, make a distinction about the cosmetic look of the guns that we choose take to our local gun clubs or into hunting camp.

That said, I don’t expect every other hunter and sportsman out there to have a set of opinions that moves in lockstep with mine. So while I don’t share Jim’s view on this, I also know that he is still the same wonderfully talented and good-natured person he was before this post went up. For those of you who have followed him for all or part of his more than thirty years at Outdoor Life, I would ask you to bear that in mind before damning him with ugly personal attacks.

John B. Snow
   Executive Editor
   Outdoor Life

TRIPLE fuck them. OFF WITH HIS HEAD.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 3:04:22 PM EDT
[#4]
The wagons are circled and the women and children are being hidden under the supplies as we speak....
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 3:04:34 PM EDT
[#5]

I would ask you to bear that in mind before damning him with ugly personal attacks.

Yuo , sure , just like Jimmy thought about it before he handed the Brady Bunch a full belt of ammo to damn us with ............Fuck you Johnny Boy .
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 3:04:54 PM EDT
[#6]
It's a SNOWstorm baby!!!!

Link Posted: 2/18/2007 3:05:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn him with an ugly personal attack!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 3:06:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Is that John Snow or Tony Snow?

Looks like I won't be reading Outdoor Life anymore. This guy might not agree with him and may still be friends with him, however ATTACKING our 2nd Amendment Rights is something to be fired over. I guess this guy doesn't know who the hand is that feeds him.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 3:06:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Zumbo Announces He is Anna Nicoles Baby's Father!
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 3:07:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Good grief this has really gotten you guys off your game.

I don't agree with Zumbo but the first amendment is before the second. He can say what he wants just like you can, and are.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 3:07:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Got links????
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 3:07:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It's a SNOWstorm baby!!!!

I think its more like a shit hurricane....

Link Posted: 2/18/2007 3:07:59 PM EDT
[#13]

I would ask you to bear that in mind before damning him with ugly personal attacks.

John B. Snow
Executive Editor
Outdoor Life

Maybe you should have told him to bear that in mind before he damned us with the terrorist label.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 3:08:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Yuo , sure , just like Jimmy thought about it before he handed the Brady Bunch a full belt of ammo to damn us with ............Fuck you Johnny Boy .

I'm sorry but implying that I'm a FUCKING TERRORIST because I own an AR-15 IS A PERSONAL ATTACK AGAINST ME AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 2/18/2007 3:11:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Good grief this has really gotten you guys off your game.

I don't agree with Zumbo but the first amendment is before the second. He can say what he wants just like you can, and are.

1st amendment says the Gov cannot limit your speech. No one here is asking that he be arrested, or that a law be passed to stop people from saying that stuff.    
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 3:12:08 PM EDT
[#16]
The louder, stronger, more vociferously we express our condemnation of Zumbo the stronger
our collective right to free speech and RKBA will be. Take no prisoners!
Traitor in our midsts!
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 3:13:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Reading that reply made me more angry!

I gotta shut this computer down!  I am wearing out the keyboard.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 3:13:37 PM EDT
[#18]
he's just trying to swallow the shit sandwich tha zumbo made for him
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 3:19:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Apparently they are more concerned with loosing readers than listening to them .

They've got a big problem with tight readers. what's the problem with loosing them some?
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 3:21:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The wagons are circled and the women and children are being hidden under the supplies as we speak.... have been given AR15 carbines.

Link Posted: 2/18/2007 3:22:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
IBTL

We already have 345 87 Zumbo threads.

Fixed it
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 3:23:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Got links????

i saw it posted in the zumbo apology blog entry.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 3:23:33 PM EDT
[#23]
My reply:

Mr. Big-guy from outdoor life said:
"For those of you who have followed him for all or part of his more than thirty years at Outdoor Life, I would ask you to bear that in mind before damning him with ugly personal attacks.

John B. Snow
Executive Editor
Outdoor Life"

Oh, you mean like calling AR15 owners terrorists?

Time to step off of that high-horse Mr. magazine man before your subscriber base evaporates. Just because you two have sipped double malt scotch and smoked cigars at the lodge and exchanged witty anecdotes after a day of quail shooting doesn't mean you should defend a ballistic insult like he leveled at AR15 owners.

You need to fire this clown, he's the Brady Bunch's best friend right now.

Link Posted: 2/18/2007 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Should not be too suprised, is a Time Warner publication after all.  I guess the apple is not falling very far from the tree on this one.  They are likely delighted to have such an anti on the staff.

Ted
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 3:27:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Its been Picked up on the HCI blog...he is their new hero, and vows to see what he wants, happens.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendID=88508969&MyToken=66aed8d8-98c1-4b2d-bc04-e473af8adac2ML

Being used aginst remington as well

"Even Remington's top gun writer agrees on Assault Weapons

With important writers such as this on our side, it is clear that we have a cultural imperative to remove dangerous terrorist rifles from our streets, and our woods."-HCI

Link Posted: 2/18/2007 3:28:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
My reply:

"For those of you who have followed him for all or part of his more than thirty years at Outdoor Life, I would ask you to bear that in mind before damning him with ugly personal attacks.

John B. Snow
Executive Editor
Outdoor Life"

Time to step off of that high-horse Mr. magazine man before your subscriber base evaporates. Just because you two have sipped double malt scotch and smoked cigars at the lodge and exchanged witty anecdotes after a day of quail shooting doesn't mean you should defend a ballistic insult like he leveled at AR15 owners.

Spot on. Zumbo should be excommunicated for the damage he has caused. If Outdoor Life won't, then they can share the wrath Zumbo is receiving.

You're either with us, or you're against us.  Right now it looks like ODL is against us.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 3:29:35 PM EDT
[#27]
while they are entitled to their first amendment rights, zumbo and snow need to be "slapped" for this.  Joe blow off the street, sure let him say what he wants....the mouthpiece of gun rights?  they better be careful what they say or we will "fire" them.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 3:38:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Oh my heck I'm dying

Bet you couldn't handle a full power shot from me!

Posted by SquatDog on Sunday, February 18, 2007 at 2:46 PM
[Reply to this]

I also like

ARFCOM,  We run the internet!!!

Link Posted: 2/18/2007 3:52:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Don't focus your energy on Zumbo or Outdoor life.  Focus your ire on the companies that advertise in Outdoor Life.  If they continue to support the magazine we boycott their products.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 3:55:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Well John B. Snow, Dam him, Dam you, Dam your fish wraps too!
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 3:55:04 PM EDT
[#31]
I agree with Outdoor Life on this one- the guy is certainly entitled to his opinion, and it is his blog site so he is free to put whatever he wants on it.  The First Amendment certainly covers that.

I'm don't believe in damning Remington or Outdoor Life on this either as neither agrees with him- it would be different if they did support what he is saying.  On the contrary, I sort of applaud Outdoor Life for standing by their man's right to his opinion.  If everyone caved to public pressure, where would we be- well we'd be like the mainstream media for starters.      

I'm not sure he should be fired either- again he expressed an opinion in a hunting magazine.  Certainly it would have been heresy in Tactical Weapons or somesuch, but Outdoor Life is basically a fudd magazine.  I'd hate to see him become bitter and decide to turn his back on the shooting community like a few other shooters have done in the past.  That causes more damage than one ignorant blog entry.  In fact, since he has a big fudd following, he could possibly be used as a mouthpiece to get them to see that we are all one big community that has to stand together.   JMHO.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 3:57:40 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
 I'd hate to see him become bitter and decide to turn his back on the shooting community like a few other shooters have done in the past.  (snip)   JMHO.

I dont think alot of folks would be sorry to see him gone.

SW
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 4:01:46 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I agree with Outdoor Life on this one- the guy is certainly entitled to his opinion, and it is his blog site so he is free to put whatever he wants on it.  The First Amendment certainly covers that.

I'm don't believe in damning Remington or Outdoor Life on this either as neither agrees with him- it would be different if they did support what he is saying.  On the contrary, I sort of applaud Outdoor Life for standing by their man's right to his opinion.  If everyone caved to public pressure, where would we be- well we'd be like the mainstream media for starters.      

I'm not sure he should be fired either- again he expressed an opinion in a hunting magazine.  Certainly it would have been heresy in Tactical Weapons or somesuch, but Outdoor Life is basically a fudd magazine.  I'd hate to see him become bitter and decide to turn his back on the shooting community like a few other shooters have done in the past.  That causes more damage than one ignorant blog entry.  In fact, since he has a big fudd following, he could possibly be used as a mouthpiece to get them to see that we are all one big community that has to stand together.   JMHO.

To associate with, yet alone continue to employee, someone who has given the anti's  free ammunition and done damage to the fight against them would be a big mistake. The guy needs to be removed from the industry completely. He has shown his true beliefs, and no amount of covering it up and apologizing will ever be able to hide them again.  JHMO..

As to Remington, I believe they will do what's right. We'll know for sure Tuesday morning probably.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 4:03:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Black rifles, black people, wtf the difference.  OK, he's a good ol' boy...LOL, don't hurt yourself spinning out an apology for him.  Let him do it if he wants.  He really wasn't very eloquent condemning them as "terrorist rifles" but I'm sure this guy will praise his apology as sincere.  How do you just quit hating terrorist rifles...vaccine?..hypnotism?....surgery?...wait I know, sensitivity training with the Nuge....
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 4:07:13 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
My reply:

John B. Snow
Executive Editor
Outdoor Life"

Probably right on....extra points for style.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 4:08:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Well, his statement is crap because outdoorlife.com hosts his blog.

Link Posted: 2/18/2007 4:15:43 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I'm not sure he should be fired either- again he expressed an opinion in a hunting magazine.  Certainly it would have been heresy in Tactical Weapons or somesuch, but Outdoor Life is basically a fudd magazine.  I'd hate to see him become bitter and decide to turn his back on the shooting community like a few other shooters have done in the past.  That causes more damage than one ignorant blog entry.  In fact, since he has a big fudd following, he could possibly be used as a mouthpiece to get them to see that we are all one big community that has to stand together.  JMHO.

I appreciate where you are coming from, but the Fudds are just as much against us as the Brady bunch.  He was just saying what the Fudds have been saying for years.  The Fudds will NEVER see that once the Evil Black RIfles are gone, their deadly scoped high-powered sniper rifles are next.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Fuck dumbo.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 4:25:52 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Sorry but I have to disagree. This story is already picked up by Brady and HCI. Unless Remington, Outdoorlife publicly fight this we have given the anti's far too much ammo to let this slide. I too believe in first ammendment rights but you have to realise along with the right to free speech comes the consequences for using it. The right only protects us against the government prohibiting free speech not the consequences of the people you alienate!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 4:32:01 PM EDT
[#40]
nugeboard.tednugent.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/286207.html

Someone should link the editor's comments over the Nuge board.  Somehow I don't think Nuge would consider it adequate.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 4:34:43 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not sure he should be fired either- again he expressed an opinion in a hunting magazine.  Certainly it would have been heresy in Tactical Weapons or somesuch, but Outdoor Life is basically a fudd magazine.  I'd hate to see him become bitter and decide to turn his back on the shooting community like a few other shooters have done in the past.  That causes more damage than one ignorant blog entry.  In fact, since he has a big fudd following, he could possibly be used as a mouthpiece to get them to see that we are all one big community that has to stand together.  JMHO.

I appreciate where you are coming from, but the Fudds are just as much against us as the Brady bunch.  He was just saying what the Fudds have been saying for years.  The Fudds will NEVER see that once the Evil Black RIfles are gone, their deadly scoped high-powered sniper rifles are next.

The difference is that the fudds do use firearms already (meaning they aren't completely scared of them) so they are one step above the antis.  Certainly we will never convince all of them to see our side of the argument, but I've found more of them to be open to discussing it than any anti I've ever talked to.  I've also managed to convert several while getting others to see that there really is no difference.  They may not have any desire to own an “assault rifle”, but they saw that the differences were cosmetic and that they were next on the Brady Bunch’s menu.  

How many hunters have you heard say that they don't support the NRA because of the NRA's support of "all" firearms?  The NRA is certainly far from ideal, but they are the most powerful voice we have and they can use any help they can get (No, I'm not associated with them other than my yearly renewed membership).  We have a far greater chance of converting fudds than we do of ever converting the antis and right now we need every warm body we can get on our side.

I'll admit, my first reaction was to string him up; I'm sure what he first posted are his true feelings.  Will he change?  I don't know; I seriously doubt it, but stranger things have happened.  I do think Remington should drop him like a hot potato though.    
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Dumbo = Fired.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 4:39:38 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

With important writers such as this on our side, it is clear that we have a cultural imperative to remove dangerous terrorist rifles from our streets, and our woods."-HCI

So, is that from an official HCI entry/message?  Has this douchebag given them an even more polarizing name for an AR than an assault weapon?  Now they are going to be called "terrorist rifles?"  
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 4:46:38 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
nugeboard.tednugent.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/286207.html

Someone should link the editor's comments over the Nuge board.  Somehow I don't think Nuge would consider it adequate.

Nugent has posted since the apology and is defending Zumbo big time..
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 4:49:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Only way an Outdoor Life ever makes it into my house again is if they fire this guy's ass.

Link Posted: 2/18/2007 4:50:42 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Dumbo = Fired.

Nope the 1000's of us will be wrong and Ted, Zumbo and the editors will be the only right people.

Link Posted: 2/18/2007 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Who the fuck is advising these guys?????!!!  They need a lesson in how to write a sincere apology.  Every one of these entities are going to pay -- big time.

If they want the bleeding to end, they will have to fire Zumbo or further distance themselves from him.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 4:52:35 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dumbo = Fired.

Nope the 1000's of us will be wrong and Ted, Zumbo and the editors will be the only right people.

Yep, the Fudds are all going to rally together against us evil extremists.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 4:56:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Now that the Brady people have picked up Zumbo's statement and are running with it we can expect that statement to be read to congress during the new Assault Weapons Ban hearings..

With a prominent Hunting magazine backing Zumbo up.. the new ban could degenerate into a "You don't need ANY semi-automatic firearms" ban.. just like Australia...
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 4:56:52 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dumbo = Fired.

Yep, the Fudds are all going to rally together against us evil extremists.

Wrong.  About two to three days of pressure aimed at his sponsors, and Zumbo is done.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top