Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2001 12:59:24 PM EDT
A member of my gun club has an Olympic Arms pre-ban AR15 for sale for $900.  It is used in good condition.  What do you think of the price?  How can I tell what year it was made?  It has a flip sight, how hard is it to put on the A2 sight?  Thanks for giving the newbie a chance to ask questions!

Jay
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 1:05:49 PM EDT
[#1]
There isn't any way to really nail down an Oly gun as pre or post ban, because they had a fire that destroyed their records. However, I own one that I know is pre-ban since I knew the previous owner and I shot the gun before the ban.
The Oly website has a listing of what S/N's were manufactured when, so you could check that out for starters. If the date is anywhere NEAR 1994 or later, I'd pass. However if it dates to, say, 1988, I'd bet on it being pre-ban and I doubt anyone would give you any trouble about it. The issue is: was the gun a complete rifle before the ban or was it a stripped lower that was assembled after the ban. I'd want at least a couple of years as a buffer on the date.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 1:07:55 PM EDT
[#2]
If it's in good shape, I'd pay that for it.  To check the serial # go to the Olympic Arms website ([url]http://www.olyarms.com/usa.html[/url]), they have a link there.  As far as swithching from A1 to an A2 sight system, It's easiest just to put on a new "A2" style upper receiver.

Kiwi
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 1:30:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top