Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2001 12:11:06 PM EDT
http://www.hardcoretalk.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000072.html

At 43, I guess I am old and sentimental.  I probably would have cried if I was there and saw it.

{Someone make this a direct link, please}
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 12:23:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Found this third hand at www.subguns.com. Makes me proud.

"I got this from FreeRepublic and thought I'd share it.
CNN this morning showed George W. leaving HM-1. '

The marine at the front step saluted, GW returned it, and as he walked away, the marine executed a right face to stand facing GW's back...something that was missing in eight years of the Clinton presidency. The traditional Marine Corps mark of respect was rendered to the new president.

That one goes back to the days in the rigging, when the marine orderly to the ship's captain always faced him, no matter his direction of movement, to be ready to receive an order.

Leave it to the Marines to speak so loudly without ever uttering a word

[8D]

Link Posted: 2/26/2001 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 12:35:24 PM EDT
[#3]
President Reagan started the tradition of returning salutes from servicemen, because he felt obligated and uncomfortable. He then started to return them. When he left office, he specifically passed this tradition on to Bush Sr. This tradition ended with guess who.........? Yep, you guessed it..... William Jefferson Clinton.

I love that Marines would always leave their back to Clinton and NO ONE NOTICED! A few years back, a Marine was relieved of his duty, because he refused to salute the draft dodger.
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#4]
SEMPER FIDELIS ! ! !
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 12:42:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm glad this was brought to my attention.
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 1:11:43 PM EDT
[#6]
This is outstanding!  I am former Navy and I consider all those in all branches of the military to be brethren, past or present.  However, even though we sailors and the Marines squabbled between ourselves, we always sided with each other against others, so I guess I have a special feeling for them and fellow sailors.  I say to Marines, and this one in particular, Semper Fi.  Does the old heart good to hear about this.  I just wish I had seen it.  Like Dave S, I probably would have cried, too.  I, like Dave, have gotten older (52) and sentimental also.  

A little different matter, but kind of the same.  I work corners (rescue) for sports car racing and in Feb. 1991, when the Gulf War was going on and we were in Daytona for the 24 hour race, when they sang the Star Spangled Banner, it kind of had the feeling you get by reading the above story about the Marine.  On the parade lap it was really neat, all the drivers had little American flags out the windows of their race cars.  It wasn't just American drivers either, it was guys from all over the world proudly displaying the American flag.
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 3:51:08 AM EDT
[#7]
This is a great post.  I will make sure others hear of this also.

God Bless the United States Marine Corp
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 6:47:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Just BTTing this.

And wishing someone would post some of the multiple direct links. (I cannot seem to do it, I just washed my hands and can't do a da-da-damn thing with 'em)
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 7:14:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Here you go. To make a direct link add...url... inside brackets [...] then add.../url... inside brackets [....] at the end. Easy to do, once you figure it out[;)]. Took a while [:)].   [url]www.hardcoretalk.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000072.html[/url]

Link Posted: 2/27/2001 11:04:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Death_By_AR15 wrote:
President Reagan started the tradition of returning salutes from servicemen, because he felt obligated and uncomfortable...

WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN?
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 12:07:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Reloader,

I don't know what he meant, either.  I do know that President Reagan was a humble man and knew that he was being saluted by "men who walk on walls".

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 12:15:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Dave S, what part of Jawja y'all from?  You are the same Dave S who used to post on the ArmaLite board, aren't you.  I say used to because I haven't seen your name over there in a while.
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Hello Larry,

Yep, I am guilty of being THAT Dave S and former Wall Walker.  Dallas, Jawja is home(just 20 minutes north of Georgia Arms Ammo in Villa Rica).  I will always be grateful for that hook-up.  

Dave S      

Link Posted: 2/27/2001 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I just ordered a bunch of ammo from Georgia Arms.  I don't buy anywhere else anymore.  Their stuff is too good and their prices are phenominal.  They told me that they make all the ammo for the state govt. and I see no reason not to believe them.  I was thinking about just going by and picking it up Friday, as I will be in Hotlanta, but that would be pushing my timetable, so I just had them ship it.  I live down near Savannah.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top