Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2001 12:07:48 AM EDT
Anybody wonder what's happening to them? And why havent we seen any thing about it in the news?
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 12:13:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Saw the Mercer parents on CNN telling their side of the story.  But they were media....

I think whatevers happening... is happening now without our knowledge.  Well, except for a few well tuned short wave radio's (Thanks WW).  

Any mistreatment of prisoners will come back to haunt them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 12:29:02 AM EDT
[#2]
well put. I think we should take them back by force if need be, even if what they allegedly did was against the law of the land. I think their being arrested is an attack on american sovereignity.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 12:36:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, I believe we will since it is one of Bush's demands.

I can't be sure as to the truth vs the "propoganga effect", since it was on CNN, but it really sounded like trumped up charges.  This girl was there to help people.  And they threw her in jail.

Knowing the bleeding heart Americans abroad... she probably got busted for smoking weed.  Something that can lead to the death penalty for a gal in some countries.

Either way...  we need her back.  We need Osama.  And we need to get rid of a big fricken pile of terrorist scum.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 12:39:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Knowing the bleeding heart Americans abroad... she probably got busted for smoking weed.  Something that can lead to the death penalty for a gal in some countries.

View Quote

They got busted for preaching Christianity to Muslims. The Taliban says THAT will get you death. Their brand of Islam can't stand any competition.

[url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,34830,00.html[/url]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 12:51:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

They got busted for preaching Christianity to Muslims. The Taliban says THAT will get you death. Their brand of Islam can't stand any competition.
View Quote

I didn't hear the whole story.  Now THAT is messed up.  Given that, my reply wasn't worth the cyberspace.  We will get her back though.  They wouldn't dare commit murder to a known civilian, bleeding heart type who is known to be in their captivity.

Cowards trying to hide their true selves, would never do anything the whole world could see.  Putting that segment on the air was the best thing the media could do for her.

Link Posted: 9/24/2001 1:05:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Stealth,

Agreed!

Try this for a headline:

[b]Kabul-

The Taliban government today executed a 24 year old American woman and 7 others who were convicted of the crime of preaching Christianity in Afghanistan. The executions were carried out by the traditional method of beheading despite an outcry of international support for the release of the convicts.
Meanwhile, the Taliban government says they do not understand the feeilng of Western governments who criticize their repression of women and non-Islamic thought. They continue to deny any knowledge of the whereabouts of wanted fugitive Osama binLaden and insist that such a gentle man could not have taken part in the attacks on New York and Washington.[/b]

Yeah, poor misunderstood Taliban. Just a bunch of guys trying to do the right thing being squeezed by a cruel and heartless Western society. My heart breaks...
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 1:11:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Why do Americans insist on deliberately putting themselves at risk in these countries?

I know this happened before the WTC attack, but Afghanistan isn't one of those places you go parading around (especially if you are an American) preaching non-approved religions. They didn't abide by the country's laws and now they must pay the consequences. It is just like that French national who was convicted of murder that got put to death here.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 1:25:02 AM EDT
[#8]
murder isn't recognized as a freedom by the guys homeland. Religion is recognized as such in the U.S. Also, I don't think she was on the corner yelling Revelation at ppl. She wasn't disturbing any peace. I still think it's an attack on our sovereignty.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 8:31:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I think you have the sovereignty thing backwards. Afghanistan is not part of the U.S. and does not have to abide by our laws.

You don't go into someone elses house and do whatever you want and not expect to get in trouble for it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 8:51:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Still when you think about it what it likliness that this is a fradulent charge to try and possibly hold "prisoners" which are accually hostages to try and delay the inevitable.  I have no proof but I have a gut feeling that they just grabed people to use to shelter themselves from attacks by the US.  Saying that if we attack them they will kill these prisoners.  Thats my personal opion.  

They only have 3 options as I see it.  One the release them.  That is the best choice they can make.  

Two they execute them swiftly without using them as hostages.  This is a toss up for second.  If they do that they still have the law on there side.

Three  they hold them as hostages that would be executed if the US attacks.  Worst possible mistake.

Anyways I don't think that this is a coincidence that they are grabing Americans now.

[sniper]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 11:33:33 AM EDT
[#11]
they were arrested before the late hijackings.

maybe I do have it backwards but I do see it as a challenge to the US
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 11:57:18 AM EDT
[#12]
It is not a challenge to the US.  

If I go to Mexico with a .22 round in my pants pocket or in my car I have violated Mexican law and can be sentenced to a lengthy prison stay there.  And it's happened many times over the last few years.  A guy from a Texas border town will go across the border with a box of rifle ammo and they'll search his car.  They will arrest me and they will send me to prison unless my family can pay the bribe quick enough to keep me out of the system.

Afghanistan's laws say it is ok to perform charity in their country as a Christian, but they do not allow you to attempt to convert people from Islam to Christianity or any other religion.  These missionaries knew it and knowingly broke the law.  I feel bad for them, but they knew there would be a consequence if they did it.  As people of faith, I'm sure they expect the Lord to see them through on this, and he just may.  Or, they may become martyrs.  They certainly won't be the first or last Christian martyrs.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#13]
This is what happens when people try to ram their religion down others throats. WHY IN THE HELL would you go into a shithole of a "country" like that, knowing the government and its policies? WHY?

I DO NOT in any way condone or approve of what happened to these people. HOWEVER, they brought it on themselves! Let me see their god help them now! This is insanity, at least that's what it looks like to me. You play with fire, and you will get burned.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top