Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2001 8:06:41 PM EDT
Don't get upset yet, I am one. As my crew stood in the hot sun passing the boot for the families of fallen firefighters, it occurred to me that WE are not the heroes. I was warmed by the many comments like "God bless you" and "Thank you for what you do" "You guys are heroes". For the most part people were very generous. We got $20 bills from thugs in lowered pickups and $10 bills from toothless hillbillies and ashtray change from BMW driving soccer mom's and $100 bills from "Lonnie" in his Expedition. Some even wrote checks for $600 (their tax refund). Many just drove right through with only a wave. That's alright, they were on their way to the theatre and Home Depot and Target or to a restaurant to spend money. Money that we NEED to spend to keep our economy going.
Sure, we may risk our lives for strangers, but the real heroes are the one's making money and spending money in these tough times. Granted, my job has risks, but I get paid for it. My salary comes from taxpayers, the majority of whom will never require my services, yet they still love me for it.  But John Q. Public, who runs the automart up the street has fifteen employees that he provides a wage to. They in turn feed their families, spend money that provides other jobs to other businesses and food to other families. Look what he has done for America lately, compare that to me.

I drive down the streets and kids give me the thumbs up, Joe Sixpack toots his horn and girls blow kisses. I get all the recognition I need for a job I love. My reward is that I get to drive a 30 ton ladder truck the wrong way down a one way street with siren screaming. What kid doesn't dream of that?

So all you employed, hard working Americans out there plugging away day after day...I am humbled and grateful, for you are the ones that deserve hero status. Keep up the good work, I'm going to try to also.

Gary Wirl
Firefighter/EMT
Company 15
Gwinnett County Georgia
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 8:20:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I was just about to let you have it. . .

Thanks for all you do. I know many firefighters and was not about to let your post slide without tearing you a new one.  :-)
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 9:13:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 11:05:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I still think that fire fighters are brave people. I have seen fireman ventilating roofs all of a sudden fall through. My hats off to them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 4:05:54 AM EDT
[#4]
 Because of the sacrifices you guys choose to make, ya'll  are Heroes!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 4:33:10 AM EDT
[#5]
You really know how to get folks' attention, don't you?  My brother and my husband are both firefighters.  I was ready to tear you a new one till I read your post.  Trouble is, you're all too humble.  You are too heroes!  Each and every one of you.  Yes, I'll do my part to keep the economy going, but that is such a small thing compared to what you guys are willing and ready to do on a daily basis.  You're the cream of the crop and don't you forget it!!  [:D]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 4:47:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Firefighters got balls.  Big ones.  Even the women.  Much higher on the job death and injury rate than police.  An asset to every community.  

No, I'm not one of them, but they have my highest possible respect.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 4:54:52 AM EDT
[#7]
That is a very humbling post. Thank you.

High Performance Tactical Gear!
[url]www.Lightfighter.com[/url]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 4:57:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 5:20:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Well said, Sweep!  [^]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 5:36:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Oh my gawd, what a breath of fresh air!

You sir, are da MAN!
[beer]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 9:58:18 AM EDT
[#11]
A true hero is one who denies his heroism, who does it out of duty, honor, and from caring for others more than themselves.

There will always be heroes in America.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 10:29:26 AM EDT
[#12]
This is not firefighter bashing, so some of you dogs of war just cut me some slack here, 'kay?

There was an article on Lew Rockwell or someplace a few months back that argued that we have too many firefighters these days.  The premise is that there are fewer fires and emergencies, yet the ranks of firefighters have increased over the years due to union lobbying efforts and politicians eager to pass feel good measures that have widespread public support.  The cost to each of us is hidden, but the increased tax burden has taken money away from other uses.

I'm glad to hear a firefighter actually say that he is not a hero.  You get paid to do a job.  It's a miserable, dirty job.  Luckily, your services are not called upon all that often.  When they are, I would expect that you get to work.  The rest of the chest puffing and machismo and idolatry can be left at the door.  The people who build bridges and sturdy edifices (not the WTC) are just as important as those who come help when things go wrong.  Until I can hire a private fire protection service through my insurance company, I guess I have no choice in the matter.  Any fireman who supports privatizing their services (i.e. someone who challenges the status quo) would be heroic.

I am tired of seeing firemen with their hands out.  I know it was for a good cause, but when isn't it?  It's the same mentality as the idiot teachers who ask for donations so they can buy supplies that the state monies won't cover.  I should not feel ashamed for not giving money to these intrepid, publicly-funded organizations.  I feel that I already gave in the form of taxes.  We can't meet a demand that is infinite.  

As I've never had cause to actually call the fire department, I'm not getting much for my money.  I have no idea where that money really goes, just as I have no control over how tax dollars are spent.  I can just imagine what anti-gun, anti-freedom control freaks may benefit.  

The images of little kids emptying their piggy banks into the relief fund coffers is nothing but statist manipulation.  Children have no understanding of the value of money and their idiot parents don't help by encouraging them to throw it away so thoughtlessly.  If I had to point to the real problem here, it is that Americans have no concept of thrift or of value and can't even recognize when their freedom is being eliminated right before their eyes.  Instead, emotion drives their actions.  It will be our undoing.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2001 11:09:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm new to this board and I may be out of line but I felt the need to respond to Trickshot's opinion.
I have been a firefighter/paramedic for 12 years and I agree w/some of what you say.It is my job and I get paid to it.This is how I support my family. I don't feel I am a hero and I don't want to be one.The heros are the ones who widow their wives and orphan their kids doing the job we are paid to do.IMO NO amount of money can compensate for this.
You are right about less fires but medical calls are up and in my area hepititus exposure is common.
Your home insurance cost is detirmined by your ISO rating which is related to the capabilities of your Fire Dept,so you do see some benifit with out having to call them.
I am not a left wing,pro-union democrat who wants free handouts.I vote pro-gun rights and usally republican most of the time.But when you state that you would like to see privatazation of the fire services I strongly disagree with you.Most public services,IMO,should be not-for-profit and I think the events 2 weeks with airport security ago prove this.
I will get off my soapbox now, but realize we don't set your taxes,thats up to you and your elected officals. We are just trying to help people when they need us and make a living too.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 1:44:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top