Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/11/2007 11:56:21 AM EDT
Hey guys  I am looking at a new machine. The wife wants a Front Load LG $$$1500 BUCKS just for the washer,,, I am looking at the Whirl pool Cabrio.[top load]$900....

What ya got??

Doc Fridge......... Paging....... Doc Fridge ...

comments please........... Damn thats a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$,, I know they will last but sheesh!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 12:00:30 PM EDT
[#1]
FRONT, the money you save in longer clothes life and less water usage will pay you back many times over.
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 12:03:28 PM EDT
[#2]
front
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 12:07:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Any BRAND NAMES  anyone wanna suggest
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 12:17:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Check your spelling of the F-guy's name. He only comes when called properly. I know, I learned the hard way, too!
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 12:18:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got the whirpool Duet dryer and  front loading washer!!!! Money well spent my water bill dropped as did my elec bill. A conventional top loading machine uses 40 gallons of water from start to finish front loader only uses 15 gallons. A bit more costly but it will pay for it self in no time. Not to mention I've got a load of about 20 bath towels going right now. Try that in a top loading model!!!!
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 12:19:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I just bought a new Fisher & Paykel washer and dryer set from Lowe's.  Their top of the line Intuitive models.  The washer AND the dryer are both top load.  The washer is a high efficency model that does laundry like the front load models, but with FAR fewer parts.  F&P has a standard 2 year warranty that I extended to 6 years for $140, while the other manufactures only offer 1 year standard warranties.

The set was $1600 + extended warranty + tax.  Lowe's tossed in a $100 rebate, and the local utilities will give me a $100 check because the model meets their criteria for water and energy savings.

These rascals work like a charm!  But don't take my word for it.  The Frige Dr. will probably be along shortly.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I did the math once when I was selling appliances, and the duets would usually have paid for their initial premium price within 3-4 years or so for a typical family of 4 IIRC.  

The time saving benefits to me are worth it in themselves, the dry cycle is about the same length as the wash cycle, so that doubles the rate at which clothes can be washed, and they have gigantic capacities, speeding things up as well.  I just bought a house, so i am looking at replacing the fairly new set of top loaders that came with the house with some LG front loaders.  My Nat. gas rate has spiked 30% last month so it may be a worthy thing to have a washer that works well with cold water, spins at 1000rpm to really wring things out, and a dryer that take only half as long.
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I said it before- we have the Sears he4t (now he5t) frigging awesome.  unreal how quiet. uses little water. love it.
holds twice as much as our old top loader
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 12:44:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I just bought a new Fisher & Paykel washer and dryer set from Lowe's.  Their top of the line Intuitive models.  The washer AND the dryer are both top load.  The washer is a high efficency model that does laundry like the front load models, but with FAR fewer parts.  F&P has a standard 2 year warranty that I extended to 6 years for $140, while the other manufactures only offer 1 year standard warranties.

The set was $1600 + extended warranty + tax.  Lowe's tossed in a $100 rebate, and the local utilities will give me a $100 check because the model meets their criteria for water and energy savings.

These rascals work like a charm!  But don't take my word for it.  The Frige Dr. will probably be along shortly.  

So you're saying you think a top loading washer can be as efficient as as front loading washer?

Poppycock.

Top loading washers typically fill up with water, and your items are completely immersed in water and sloshed around in it.   Front loading washers use a small pool of water, and clothes are continuously dragged into it and then lifted out of it, making the water penetrate more effectively.  

I don't think a top load washer could come close to doing the same thing.  

Anyway... when I get a round tuit(R), I'll buy a front loading washer and dryer... for now, my cheap ass rented top loader does fine.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 1:26:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Another vote for the front loaders.  They are very efficient, and they do an awesome job.  Not to mention you should be able to get some gun parts out of the deal if you make you wife happy with a matching set of Duets.
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 1:29:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Another vote for the front loaders.  They are very efficient, and they do an awesome job.  Not to mention you should be able to get some gun parts out of the deal if you make you wife happy with a matching set of Duets.

Link Posted: 2/11/2007 1:34:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you're saying you think a top loading washer can be as efficient as as front loading washer?

Poppycock.

Top loading washers typically fill up with water, and your items are completely immersed in water and sloshed around in it.   Front loading washers use a small pool of water, and clothes are continuously dragged into it and then lifted out of it, making the water penetrate more effectively.  

Anyway... when I get a round tuit(R), I'll buy a front loading washer and dryer... for now, my cheap ass rented top loader does fine.  

I washed a sleeping bag in it yesterday.  It is rated to wash a king sized comforter.  I suggest you check the facts BEFORE you make your next half baked assertation on the capabilities of a machine that you have NO first hand experience with.  This washer does not operate in the same manner as a traditional top load machine.  I had the same misgivings that you expressed, but I checked the facts before I made my decision.

Don't believe me?  Ask Dr, Frige.
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Front load, saves on water, saves on gas in the dryer and some water companies give a rebate for buying them. I got $150 in credit to my water bill for buying it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 1:40:35 PM EDT
[#14]
They are probably more efficient, but when you pull out one thing from a front load washer, everything else comes with it. Major pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 1:40:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#16]
We just bought the new top of the line Kenmore front loader from Sears.

One great product.
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 1:52:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 1:52:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

top loading FISHER and PAYKEL, love ours!
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 2:02:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 2:10:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I just pulled two baby wash clothes out of a front load machine fri.  And in the last two weeks I've replaced 2 bellows (the seal for the door) both leaking and the problems go on.

Go with F&P or the new Whirlpool Cabrio washer it's a modified F&P.
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 2:10:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Besides, the tree-hugging enviromentalist-wackos love the low-water front loaders.

That's enough right there for me to use a top-loading, high water model.
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 2:24:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 2:31:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Bosch Nexxt 500 front load, very quiet, 2.5yrs, works great, no problems
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#24]
We have an Asko front loader, gotta' be 12-15 yrs old. Got it way before they were all the 'rage'. It has survived 2 teen age daughters and the only thing we have had to do is clean out the pump filter basket. No 'moldy gaskets', leaks etc. 11 gal. water per load and spins them almost dry enough to wear.
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 2:46:33 PM EDT
[#25]
do front loader spin the clothes as "dry" as top loaders?
I'm wondering because the last time I used a front loader at my MIL house the clothes seemed to be more wet than a top loader when I took them out
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 2:50:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I'm wondering because the last time I used a front loader at my MIL house the clothes seemed to be more wet than a top loader when I took them out

They should come out of a FL dryer then a TL
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 3:07:55 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Poppycock.

I am saying they are as efficient... actually even MORE efficient. The F&P line puts in as much water that is NEEDED. there is NO front seal that molds up like on a front washer,

What is that? you dropped a sock bringing the laundry down and now that you loaded your front loader and it is locked you cant add it?

After talking to my customers that have the LG line, MOST are disappointed and want to return them back and want to go back to their basic Kenmore or Whirlpool top loaders.

One of the servicers even told my customer "Yeah you have to wipe down the gasket every 2-3 loads so it doesnt mold up."  Lets see,,, had my fisher & Paykels for 4 years now and had to wipe it down with bleach.... let me see now..... OH!! NEVER!

You pay more the second you buy it, you pay more for servicing it. Front loaders are overrated.

No thanks....I'll pass.

Oh and one more thing. we have no complaints on the washability of the F&P's ... clothes are cleaner than our old Maytag ever gave us.

Remember this is what I do and are exposed to every single day. You may feel differently and hey, thats life, Just dont say I didnt warn ya.

F+P for me less electricicy , soap and uses a bit more water than a $1k+ fancy front  

loader. Check the run time for a load in any front loader vs. F+P, I found that they tended

to be 50% to %100 longer than the F+P.

DrFrige can you recomend a good gas dryer with a moisture sensor? I am partial to non

G.E. Designs (G.E. has a bearing spike in that suports the rear of the drum and expensive

strips of plastic in the fornt they dare to call "bearings".) I looked at the F+P front load

dryer and it appears to be made/designed by a G.E. contractor. My only advice with the

F+P is follow the leveling instructions, as the machie has a 1k rpm cycle to remove

moisture.
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 3:14:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 3:18:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Had a front load that was super energy efficient from Sweeden...  HATED it.  It used so little water that it would often not get all the soap out....oh wait, you only use a teaspoon of soap and it works just as well

Then you couldn't stop it mid cycle and let the clothes soak for heavily stained items...  

You also couldn't add to it once it was going...super annoying to find a sock or pillowcase after you started washing.  

It was a giant PITA...never again.  Top loaders for me.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 3:20:10 PM EDT
[#31]
I have the whirlpool duets

two things I don't like:

you can't add another item after the cycle has started.

you can't do a proper soaking like you can with a top load.

other than that, they're great.

Link Posted: 2/11/2007 3:20:24 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They should come out of a FL dryer then a TL

?it was a serious question
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 3:27:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Dr Frige, F&P is actually a New Zealand company, not Australian.
http://www.businesshistory.auckland.ac.nz/fisher_paykel/company_profile.html

They're also into manufacturing medical equipment as well.
http://www.fphcare.com/

Link Posted: 2/11/2007 3:29:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 3:31:42 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I have the whirlpool duets

two things I don't like:

you can't add another item after the cycle has started.

you can't do a proper soaking like you can with a top load.

other than that, they're great.

I have the Kenmore Elite HE3s (almost identical to the Whirlpool Duets).  While I admit I miss the soaking feature, it's not really been a problem.

On balance, leaving the Kenmore top loader and moving to the front loader was one of the best moves we ever made.  We haven't regretted the decision for a moment.  One of my favorite feature is that we have the dryer stacked on top of our washer.  While we already have a largish laundry room, stacking the units gives us that much more room for storage (and I'm all about less clutter).

I can't speak to F&P and I'm not even sure they were available when we made our front-loader purchase.  Would have been interesting, however, to review them when we bought the new set 3 years ago.

Maybe next time...
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 3:33:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 3:35:34 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

A front loader should spin the clothes as dry as a top loader, but some front loaders have adjustable spin speeds. Perhaps the time you used the MIL's machine it was set to a slower spin speed for some reason.

It's also possible to get a single machine that is both a washer and a dryer. Put the clothes in, start the cycle and it wiill wash then dry the clothes. From what I've seen they are usually built to handle smaller loads than conventional washers or driers. I don't know how reliable they are either, Dr Frige mught know more about that.
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 3:37:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Just bought front load LG today, $2300.00 for the pair, & that's with tax & 119.00 5 yr warranty for each. - 3.83 cf washer, 7.0 dryer -
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 3:39:57 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Just bought front load LG today, $2300.00 for the pair, & that's with tax & 119.00 5 yr warranty for each. - 3.83 cf washer, 7.0 dryer -

That's what we have and have had no problems with it.  Its the best washer and dryer we have ever owned.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 3:40:28 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Poppycock.

I am saying they are as efficient... actually even MORE efficient. The F&P line puts in as much water that is NEEDED. there is NO front seal that molds up like on a front washer,

What is that? you dropped a sock bringing the laundry down and now that you loaded your front loader and it is locked you cant add it?

After talking to my customers that have the LG line, MOST are disappointed and want to return them back and want to go back to their basic Kenmore or Whirlpool top loaders.

One of the servicers even told my customer "Yeah you have to wipe down the gasket every 2-3 loads so it doesnt mold up."  Lets see,,, had my fisher & Paykels for 4 years now and had to wipe it down with bleach.... let me see now..... OH!! NEVER!

You pay more the second you buy it, you pay more for servicing it. Front loaders are overrated.

No thanks....I'll pass.

Oh and one more thing. we have no complaints on the washability of the F&P's ... clothes are cleaner than our old Maytag ever gave us.

Remember this is what I do and are exposed to every single day. You may feel differently and hey, thats life, Just dont say I didnt warn ya.

LG front loaders x 2 years.  You can near immediately add to the washer and continue.  No seal mold.   I love them and did not even want to buy them.  We have saved so much money on water and the dryer.  It dries in 30 minutes VS 1.5 hours.  Clothes are cleaner and less wrinkles.
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 3:41:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 3:44:59 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what we have and have had no problems with it.  Its the best washer and dryer we have ever owned.  

I just based the purhase on online reports of front-loads.  Saw a lot of complaints on the GE's for leaky door gaskets, but everyone seemed to report good service from the direct-drive LG models.
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 3:46:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 3:46:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Just want to add that the FP also is totally self leveling. I sell appliances and am looking at either those of the new whirlpool cabrios for myself. The cabrios are the biggest right now (4.5 cubic feet). You can do three baskets of laundry in them. Less loads, less water per load, plus spinning out at 1000 or so rpms = lots of money saved.
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 3:49:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 4:02:33 PM EDT
[#46]
I have the LG front load washer and dryer and am very happy with them, no mold issue with mine. What I didn't like about my old top load washer was the agitator, it would rip collars off shirts and jean jackets.
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#47]
O.K. I've got a few questions in regards to front loaders:

- Do they get the difficult stains out as well as top loaders? Some of the upper end front loaders that I've seen have a "stain treat" button that's suppose to eliminate any pre-treatment (spray and wash, etc) that is common with the use of top loaders. Does the HE soap really work that well?

- Has anyone done any tests that prove an HE machine puts less wear and tear on your clothing vs. a top loader?

- The whole enegy star rating system seems to be changing so I'm wondering if one should wait till the newer models are fully moved in before we buy. Is it at the end of March '07 that the new standard go into effect and all machines have to be updated with the new labels?
I also found a good website that shows which washers go beyond the energy star standard. www.cee1.org

I'm trying to see if there really is a cost benefit to paying the up front $$$ that an HE machine runs. We have been running a toploader Kenmore since '96 and it's been fine but its getting worn so if a guy can save some money by going HE over the next 10 years I might consider it. I would also hope to get the 10 years out of one of these HE machines but I haven't seen there track record that convinces me.

Link Posted: 2/11/2007 5:48:25 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
O.K. I've got a few questions in regards to front loaders:

- Do they get the difficult stains out as well as top loaders? Not really
Some of the upper end front loaders that I've seen have a "stain treat" button that's suppose to eliminate any pre-treatment (spray and wash, etc) that is common with the use of top loaders.IIRC works like an extra rinse
Does the HE soap really work that well?From what I can see, yes.  If a unit calls for HE, use it

- Has anyone done any tests that prove an HE machine puts less wear and tear on your clothing vs. a top loader?I've had a few people complain about them being harder on cloths

- The whole enegy star rating system seems to be changing so I'm wondering if one should wait till the newer models are fully moved in before we buy. Is it at the end of March '07 that the new standard go into effect and all machines have to be updated with the new labels?
I also found a good website that shows which washers go beyond the energy star standard. www.cee1.org Many power co-ops and the like give rebates on EStar appliances, higher standards mean less rebates = high profits. for power company.
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 6:47:47 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

top loading FISHER and PAYKEL, love ours!

From the mouths of babes!!!!

DR.

I want to get an extra pump and valve to keep on hand, you know just in case.  MODEL # GWL11, got it foe 472.00 + tax

Also call AZ wholesale's scratch and dent to see of that top loader dryer, they had it on 1-22-07.  i think it was 600-700?

602 288-3887 ext 40 or 41.  ask for Susan.

BTW
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Well I have a LG front loader and still using a good reliable dryer. We live on a well and septic tank so the low water usage is a good thing for us. Less wear and tear on the well pump. Our leaching field is loaded less with the lower water usage. The soap usage has been cut in half. When we had our leaching field replaced, it was suggested that we get a sock filter put on the output of the old washer. Wife would have to clean out the filter about every two weeks. Now the filter takes a month to load up with the front loader. So, that was enough of a sign that the F.L. does not put as much wear and tear on our clothes. I just asked the wife if she is seeing mold on the door gasket and she said no. I then asked her if the washer smells molding and again she said no.

We are happy with our LG washer.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top