Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2001 6:00:24 PM EDT
My son, who lives in England, read about this in the local paper...unbeleaveable!!

[b]From Bridgeport, Wales

After English dairy farmers have been hit with a rash of mad cow disease, a new study has been authorized by official order from the Parliment.

Mad Cow Disease (MCD) has infected over eighty percent of the bovine population in all West European contries. It affects the brain center of a cow and infects the meat, making it unable to sell on the market.

MCD has been thought to affect the natural balance of a cow, causing it to fall over and die from poor circulation. A new study has taken fifty cows from random farms. Half of them have been infected with MCD.

The chief scientist of operations, Phillip Dale, has this to say, "Thanks to a generous grant from the Parliment, we have a plan to put the cows in a sort of lorry, not unlike a catapult. They will be flung seventy-five feet into the air and we will observe whether or not they land with their hooves down. This will help us determine if MCD affects a bovine's sense of balance."

The results of the study will be in on the 28th of September.

~  Harry Champlain
  Wales Agricultural News Wire[/b]

Talk about government waste![:(!]!

sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 6:09:05 PM EDT
[#1]
LMAO

"Run away!!"

[NI]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Isn't think kind of like drowning women accused of being witches to see of the come back to life? If they don't, they must be innocent.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 6:22:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I think Hillary might have MCD.  What do you say we give her a fling in the catapult to find out? [}:D]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 6:29:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
LMAO

"Run away!!"

[NI]
View Quote

Yes run away!
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 6:31:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think Hillary might have MCD.  What do you say we give her a fling in the catapult to find out? [}:D]
View Quote

When I saw the thread topic, I thought of Rosie O'doughnut.

Never ceases to amaze me the way the goverment beuacrats can TOSS away money [:D]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#6]
All joking aside, Mad Cow Disease is quite serious.

I know a guy who is about 50 years old with 3 children (all under 18) and he has MCD.  It is systematically eating away his brain functions and will eventually kill him.  It is VERY sad because there is absolutely nothing that can be done for him.

They believe he contracted it when he used to go on frequent business trips to the UK...so something he ate was infected.  The crazy thing is, it was many years ago...so it didn't show up for some time.

All along they have said humans are immune to this disease, but the Scientific Community has been forced to correct this falsity.

This news scares me, especially if the European meat industry is this badly infected!!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 7:12:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Just another form of population control. I stopped eating beef regularly a couple years ago.

Gotta have a steak now and then though....

Hmmmm.... Steak.

_
FS
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 7:35:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Have hope.  There are some investigational medications that have been effective against the MCD particle.  These prions can survive all sorts of harsh conditons. Most medicines and even heat, and burial is no guarantee that they will die.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 7:41:46 PM EDT
[#9]
ARDOC--FYI,  they pulled all the Albumin off the market a few years back because of fears that CJD got into some of the large pools they make it from (scary, hunh?).

Gentlemen--I think we found our new secret weapon against bin Laden:

Pigapaults!!

Figure one of these British things can be boosted to launch a Pig a few hundred yards.  Load the pig up with some C4, and you have a porcine mortar.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 10:08:30 PM EDT
[#10]
A few years ago, scientists were saying that viruses were species specific, but I believe since then the viruses evolved to be able to infect humans.  But now, according to a PBS special on mad cow aka CJDv, it is caused by a special particle called a prion.  This prion is not living matter, like bacteria, but kinda like a virus.  It can't be killed by normal means such as bleach, boiling, cooking etc, the only way to kill it is to heat it to 900 degrees F.  Guest what? for all the non-bullet casters around here, lead melts at 900.  There is no know cure.  On the same program, the scientist buried the prions in his backyard, and 6 months later, it was still active!  I think there is some info about mad cow on the PBS website at www.pbs.org, and do a search on "mad cow," I got something is 70 hits.

Oh yes forgot to mention that mad cow is now confirmed in Japan. See link for furhter info[url]http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-000076355sep23.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dworld[/url]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 10:39:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I am not a biologist or any type of expert but form my understanding a virus, by it's very nature, can't not be killed/eliminated.  It is not like a disease,like Polio etc, where a "cure" can be found. A virus adapts to its environment and thus is constantly changing. Colds, Flu, and Aids are all examples of a type virus.  The drugs available for these just help with the symtoms but don't kill the illness, that's why people get colds and the flu every year.  

The only thing that will 100% protect a person from a virus is getting the virus and then having the human immune systom "defeat"/"live thru" that particular strand.  However, if that virus strand mutates the same body may again become sick again.

Scary huh?????....Every read Stephen King's [b]"The Stand"???[/b]

sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 10:45:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Wierd.... turn animals into cannibals and all hell breaks loose.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 11:15:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Prions aren't viruses, they are their own specific type of life form. If you want to call them a life form at all. Mad Cow disease is more like a chemical infection rather than a biological infection. That's why prions are so hard to get rid of. They are tiny little crystals, that are not really affected by heat, radiation or anti-bodies. The amounts of heat, radiation or chemicals needed to destroy prion are well beyond that of normal animal life.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 11:20:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Make the cows mad, then they can get revenge for us eating them all these years.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 10:15:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Its been almost a year since I have stopped eating beef because of the Mad Cow Disease. The chances of getting it here in the United States is very slim, but there have been a few cases here in the United States. I have no regrets in no longer eating red meat. In fact I'm sure that it will help me be a little heathier. Now when I walk by the Cow flesh in the grocery store it just looks infected to me. I now take my vengence for not being able to eat beef anymore on the chicken race. Eat more chicken before you go mad.
MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

No Slack!
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 10:43:45 AM EDT
[#16]
MOO
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 12:11:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Prions aren't viruses, they are their own specific type of life form. If you want to call them a life form at all.
View Quote

They aren't life forms -- they're molecules.  Since they aren't alive, they can't be killed.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top