Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2001 5:07:46 PM EDT
Guys,

I am going to buy a CUDA EDC folder from Camillus Cutlery but I see that they have two different blade options.  One is a 420HC Steel that sells for 49.99 and the other is a 154CM Steel that sells for about $15 more.  Whats the diff?  Thier website really doesn't get specific.  Is it worth the extra $.  I mean I intend to use this as stated, Every Day Carry.  

Thanks guys,

CS
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't claim to know squat about steel, but:

1.  I believe 420 and 440 Stainless are in the same family.

2.  The 154C and the ATS-34 are also a different family.

I have had 440 knives, and generally, they work but don't maintain a decent edge for very long.  I have a couple of Benchmade ATS-34 knives and they are FAR superior to any 440 knives I have had in the past.  The edge is very sharp, and STAYS that way.  

AFARR

Edited because I was too dumb to pull out my knife and see that it said ATS-34, not 54.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 7:09:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks AFARR,

Cmon guys, I wanna buy this sucker tonight, should I spend the extra dough?
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 8:36:09 PM EDT
[#3]
If I were buying the knife, I would spring for the extra $15.  All knives get dull, but ATS-34/154 CM was once the wonder stainless steel, and it is supposed to hold an edge longer than 420 or 440 series stainless.  

Link Posted: 9/23/2001 10:39:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 11:24:53 PM EDT
[#5]
My ATS-34 blade has a life time guarantee to stay sharp. I give it a fine stone polish every once and a while to keep it razor sharp, only like 10 strokes. It is brittle though, my friend threw his benchmade into a block of wood and the tip broke off. A high carbon steel blade would have just bent. I like stainless much better, no rust and very little maintenance.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 1:11:41 AM EDT
[#6]
There is also D2 steel which is used quite often as well.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 1:20:30 AM EDT
[#7]
There is some new exotic ceramic composite called tritanium that is supposed to be good.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 1:39:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 4:17:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Spend the extra $15 !!

Go to [url] www.benchmade.com [/url]

for some good info & look at

[url] www.knifecenter.com [/url]

to do a little window shopping

[url] www.discountknives.com [/url]

is good site to shop too
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 5:40:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Morning all..

I thought I'd add that am not a big fan of folding knives. They are handy and the tacticals look cool and they probably outsell everything in sight.  I think that they are overpriced and weaker than a small fixed blade.  I am waiting for my busse Shaker Assault, which is basically a $100+ shiv made out of some goofy super steel.  Talk about overpriced ;)   I intend to thoroughly use the knife to see if is strong enough to warrant buying more expensive products made by the same company.  

The ATS-34/154CM knife I last owned did rust on coastal backpacking trip in the tropics, but the rust was superficial, and the knife had gotten pretty well splashed in the brine.  I would consider it low maintenance.  

If you are interested in lower cost small fixed blades, Boye,
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 6:36:07 AM EDT
[#11]
154CM is a stainless steel.  It has 14% Chromium.  To be considered stainless a steel must have at least 13% carbon.  154CM and ATS34 are very similar steels.  154CM has a slightly higher carbon content than ATS34 with additional Manganese and Chromium (14%).  The added carbon aids in edge retention, while the Chromium increases toughness and stain resistance.  You cannot go wrong with 154CM or ATS34.  BG42 is the best of the stainless series, but is not yet widely used for production knives.  Many custom makers use it as does Chris Reeve Knives.

D2 is also an excellent knife steel, but does not officially qualify as a stainless because of the 12% Chromium content.  However, it is very stain resistant and makes a top quality knife.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 6:54:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Fox is right.  BG-42 is the steel to have.  

Spend the extra money and you'll have no regrets.   SOG and Buck both have affordable folders in BG-42 available now.

If you really want to spend the money and carry the finest tactical folder out there go to [url]www.striderknives.com[/url] and look for the AR.

[smoke]  
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 6:37:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Read this article by Kevin McClung of "Mad Dog" knives.

It is his opinion on steels, but very interesting.

[url]http://www.mdenterprise.com/abc.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 8:02:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll keep it simple as not to bore you with a bunch of percentages of contents. When I make a knife which will be a show knife, or a gift that will be shown and never used I like to use 440 C as it cleans up nicely, and it doesn't corrode or discolor(it also makes a good serviceable knife especially if frozen after heat treating). If I make a knife for someone who requires a corrosion resistant knife which will get used hard I like to use 154CM    (Crucible Manufacturing)or ATS34 which is a Japanese Steel which has about the same make-up as 154CM, with a preferance to the 154CM. Now if I make a knife for someone who uses a knife day in and day out and will put the knife to extreme use in brutal conditions I tend to favor the oil hardening steels with a strong preferance to 0-1.
Sorry I got to rambling,   Rabon....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top