Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2001 12:23:38 PM EDT
I am hearing from various sources that there were people from at least 66 different countries and as high as 80 that were killed in the WTC. But I have yet to see a list of those represented.
Would it not be a good idea for the media to keep that list in the forefront? I'm sure there are more than a few nations that have not pledged their support of our efforts in eliminating terrorist and terrorism that their citizens would like to know that they had lost fellow countrymen in the attack.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 2:04:04 PM EDT
[#1]
One problem is that no one can confirm that the missing folks are dead.  Rescue crews only managed to confirm about 200 dead - the rest of the bodies likely no longer resemble bodies.

Early reports placed the number of Canadians missing around 500 but that estimate has been revised downward to about 50.

If 50 Canadians were shot to death in one day our PM would be heard through every media outlet denouncing private ownership of firearms.  But - likely because a realistic response to this incident requires police, military and national security resources that have been allocated elsewhere throughout the last decade of Liberal leadership - PM Chretien has been waffling heavily.  The very people our PM needs to fix this problem owe him no favors and probably didn't vote for him.  

Simply put, it is not in our government's interest to publicize or emphasize Canadian casualties because any solution they could now deliver would be weaker and less effective than what might have been possible before they took office.

Edited to add a URL listing known Canadian missing/dead linked to the attacks:

[URL]http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1000678165824&call_page=TS_Canada&call_pageid=968332188774&call_pagepath=News/Canada&col=968350116467[/URL]

Link Posted: 9/23/2001 8:04:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Yahoo/Reuters had a chart (in their "photos" section) a week or so ago, but I haven't been able to find it again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top