Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2001 9:34:18 AM EDT
Hello all,
Am I violating any United States or Canadian laws if I were to ship a complete 16 inch upper receiver lesss bolt carrier to Canada from U.S.?
Thanks in advance for any comments
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#1]
In Canada a complete or partial AR-15 upper receiver is an unregulated item.  Within Canada, you can legally mail an upper receiver to a friend's toddler if you so choose.  As I recall, importing it from most countries requires that you simply declare it at the border.

But, I believe that the US state dept wants paperwork for export of modern barrels under ITAR.  If that's the case then the end user also needs to get an import certificate from the Canadian Dept of Foreign Affairs and International Trade.  Call 1-800-O-Canada to find their contact info.  That was about four months of paperwork BEFORE the border clampdown - you may want to work through an existing Canadian dealer.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 7:30:34 PM EDT
[#2]
e8ght,
I appreciate your help.  Sounds like a lot of red tape.  Thanks for the telephone number.  I will certainly give them a call tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 6:52:13 AM EDT
[#3]
FYI: Bushmaster informed me that any barrel shipped to Canada requires both "importer certificate" and "purchase order" from a license Canadian firearms dealer.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 6:02:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Any news about your project ?
Did you ship your upper ?
Let us know !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top