Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2001 7:19:40 AM EDT
Do the some exchanges on bases sell guns? If so is there a way to find out which bases do? What are the rules9(ex: do you have to be a resident of the state the base is in?)Thanks
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 7:24:01 AM EDT
[#1]
When I was at Camp Lejeune (92-95) we had a Gun Store in the PX.  I bought several guns there although I was a resident of FL.  If you were authorized to purchase at the regular PX, you were allowed purchase there (providing you met state law criteria).  Best thing was no state tax.  I remember Colt AR's selling for around $600 there at one time.  Couldn't tell you about now though.

Kiwi
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 7:24:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Marine Corps Exchanges do, and I think so do all the others.  Sales at the Exchange are exempt from state sales tax, which is perhaps the only benefit.  You, of course, must be authorized to shop at a military facility before you can purchase anything, including tooth paste.  I'm not aware of any restrictions pertaining to where you are stationed, but I haven't really looked into it.  Their prices just aren't anything to write home about.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 7:26:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I know of one Army base that has sold firearms at their sports store (not at the PX).  This was at Ft. Wainwright, Alaska. I'm not sure who all was allowed to purchase there. I do know military members and family could. They sold handguns, rifles, shotguns and ammo, in addition to fishing gear etc.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 7:26:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I am a dependent. I guess the closest base is Fort Bragg
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 7:27:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I was in Lejeune a few monthes ago and they had firearms at the Annex.

Smalls

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 7:44:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I can only speak of Air Force BX's.  They are way to PC to even sell so much as a BB gun, let alone a firearm. I surprised they even carry any firearms-related magazines on their shelves.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 12:35:03 PM EDT
[#8]
MCCS at Camp Lejeune still sells firearms, last time I was out at the stumps they still sold them. I don't think MCRD San Diego, Camp Pendelton or Camp OP Smith/K-bay sells weapons anymore and I know Quantico doesn't.  I am pretty sure AAFES and NEX got out the firearms business years ago.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 2:37:43 PM EDT
[#9]
The PX at MCAS Yuma also sells guns.
For AD Marines t obuy a gun at the PX, yo uhave to have a permit AND permission from your CO.
SCREW THAT. I'll pay the sales tax instead of begging for permission to buy a gun.

The PX at Cherry Point is garbage. They don't sell anything not related to shooting, except for a few shotgun cleaning kits and a few small targets. You cannot order ammo or guns. Their reply?? Go tp Lejeune (an hours drive). MCCS gets as little of my money as possible. [-!-] MCCS.
[smoke]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 3:00:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm pretty disgusted with the BX/PX system personally.  I spent 20 years in the AF and it always seemed the BX/PX would get a few good things in, sell them very quickly then never re-stock them.  Clothing?  I used to go nuts trying to find pants with a 36 inch waist but they always had plenty of 40's.  The computer department is a disgrace.  Want to buy a 30 GB hard disk for $179?  Well neither do I!!  How about the CD department?  If it ain't rap they ain't got it.  Sporting goods?  How about some nice salt water fishing gear in the Hill AFB, Utah BX.  Makes no friggin sense.  They are building a new BX here next year and tripling the size of the one they got now.  Maybe things will improve but I doubt it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top