Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2001 5:23:14 AM EDT
I was lookinjg through the SGN and saw this........

[img]http://www.powercustom.com/RedStar/images/akmagrelease7.gif[/img]

Anybody else see the problems?

What have you found to not work, that you paid money for?
I`m not liking my Pachmeyer Vindicator grip for the AR anymore, ditto on the Hogue freefloated tube.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 5:42:12 AM EDT
[#1]
YES

My first rifle was the(preban)SKS paratrooper. The day I bought it I seen all kinds of neat stuff for it.

Folding stock
30rd mags
tent spike
Red Star scope
Scope mount
Brake
Bipod
COOL toy now!

A year or so later......
It looks just like any other SKS. I took off all of the junk I bought for it and refinished the wood stock. Now it looks like it was meant to look like. I learned my lesson. Now I buy a weapon shoot it, carry it, learn it and then make adjustments as needed. KISS is the only way to go.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 6:11:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Heck, I've bought useless gadgets for guns I don't even own.

Among the more memorable stuff that didn't work as I wanted it to:

-B-Square scope mount for an SKS - it fits easily and mounts a short scope well, but it disables the ability to fieldstrip the action area without tools.  

-Pachmayr full wraparound grips for a S&W 59.  The resulting grip, with the double stack mag, followed by a layer of frame, followed by rubber cushioning, is slightly smaller than a softball.

-Advanced Technology International(?) -  ATI anyway - folding stock for a Mossberg 500.  It wiggles under light loads and flexes brutally under heavy loads.

-Traditions EZ Unloader CO2 unloader for muzzleloaders.  1 shot, one CO2 cartridge - which wouldn't be a problem if it worked the first time.  Actually it probably would work really well on percussion guns - but mine is a flintlock...  I realize that I can get adapters from the Internet, but the absence a two dollar adapter for flintlocks cost me at least five CO2 cartridges.

-while we're on the subject of flintlocks, avoid those squarely cut 'sawn' flints like the plague.  The irregular flints last about five times as long and cost about the same.  Oh, and Pyrodex does not work well in flintlocks at all - expect very (like 1/4 to 1/2 a second) delayed ignition if you try it.

-Walmart's 'Blade' paintball gun.  1 CO2 cartridge doesn't even last one entire game.  Maybe 20 shots, total, per cartridge, with velocity dropping off rapidly in the last five or so shots.

-Choate folding stock for a 10/22.  I don't regret buying this one at all actually - it has a good solid lockup and fits me nicely.  Still, the packaging said to use my existing barrel band to secure the stock to the barrel - no way will that go; the stock is too small at the front and needs to be built up.  Dunno if I got a strange one or not.

-One of those cheap generic Norinco chinese red dot scopes.  Used it twice - first time it came loose on its mounts which appeared designed for some type of throwaway pellet gun and by the second time I noticed that it wouldn't adjust properly - apparently I needed to rotate the scope 90 degrees in the mounts, which due to the way the scope is designed would mean that one of my adjustment dials is between the scope and the top of the rail and could not be adjusted.  Also prone to washout in sunny conditions.

Link Posted: 9/23/2001 6:24:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh....and twenty dollar holsters
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 7:12:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I think the stupidest thing I ever bought for a gun had to be the PSO-1 scope I bought for my SAR-1. I tried and tried to get that thing zeroed, but the thing always had play in it. I tried adjusting it, and even tightening up one of the nuts which broke. So now I've got a $125 scope that I can't zero, and that I can't get my money back out of since it's got a part missing.

I don't know what I was thinking putting a fucking scope on an AK. Oh well live and learn.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 7:39:35 AM EDT
[#5]
In no particular order:
-any accessory for an SKS (they are all junk)
-several worthless scope mounts for a Mini 14
-several worthless scope mounts for a AR
-Entreprise Arms "Tactical II" M700 scope mounts (total garbage)
-crappy "slip over" flash hider for a Mini 14
-trigger "activator" for a Mini 14
-any USA brand magazine
-laser with worthless barrel mount
-Tasco $30 rifle scope (broke after 20 rounds)
-Simmons $50 rifle scope (broke after 100 rds)
-Springfield Armory gubmint model scope (the bubble level ain't)
-numerous el cheapo nylon holsters
-clip on bipod (what was I thinking?)
-mini maglite barrel mount (bulb pops out after two shots)
-numerous el cheapo nylon rifle slings
-Thermold M14 magazines
-Delta cheekrest for AR (almost forgot)
-Warne scope mounts (garbage)

It could very well be that the purpose of my life is to serve as a warning to others.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 7:59:26 AM EDT
[#6]
[size=2]Ha!, the one I felt the stupidest about was that damned "Delta" cheekpiece.[/size=2][img]http://www.cheekpieces.com/car-15.gif[/img]
[size=2]... Shit, I should have known that my high cheek bones wouldn't have allowed me to [u]sight[/u] my MForgery with it on [u]nor[/u] would the friggin stock collapse!
What a POS.
I was, however, able to toss it a full 75 yards into a field behind my house and my ass is beginning to heal nicely from my boot tip![/size=2]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 8:01:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I`m not liking my Pachmeyer Vindicator grip for the AR anymore, ditto on the Hogue freefloated tube.
View Quote

Rich314! The 1st man with a Thousand Posts!
I was wondering where ya been.

How come you don't like the Hogue free-floating forend?

(I need an excuse to add an item to my "useless items" box and get a new toy...)
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 2:23:02 PM EDT
[#8]
The rubber plug that D.P.M.S. makes to go in the bottom of your AR-15 pistol grip.  It rattles out after a couple shots.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 2:31:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I think between all of you guys, you just described the contents of maybe 2 of the 5 boxes in my garage. The boxes of stuff that I won't throw away, and won't sell since I "might need it for something someday".

Greg3, I completely understand about the SKS. I originally got one of my SKSs for $70.00 or so, then accessorized it with about $200 worth of JUNK. Later I decided it should look different, so I bought another $100 or so of different JUNK for it. Now I'm about to put it back into its original configuration, since it looks kind of stupid now. So all the leftover parts go in one of those boxes in the garage...
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 2:36:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#11]
... My ACOG TA01NSN USSOCOM NSN M4A Scope
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 3:02:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Every kind of bargain priced optics I ever bought was junk. As far as I'm concerned, Simmons, Tasco, ANY of the chicom crap, even Bushnell scopes are not worth the effort of opening the box. From now on, only the best optics I can buy, or I stick with iron sights.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 3:12:15 PM EDT
[#13]
A drawer full of cheap pistol holsters. Boxes with various crap in them. The stuff in the boxes may be alright but who can find an individual item at any one time. Maybe I should throw my wife out and get that stuff rearranged. Having it all in the attic sucks. Living in the pump house sucks too, I better just keep my mouth shut.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 3:26:00 PM EDT
[#14]
... Hey, I gotta idea.

... let's hold a HUGE garage sale for all these "Johnny Come Lately" airchair survivalists flocking to the local "fun stores" after 9/11/01.
We too can get some of this sheeple action!
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 3:42:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Actually that AK part isn't a useless gadget. Since AK's don't have a mag release button, it takes 2 operations with the same hand to change a mag: remove empty mag from gun, then grab and insert a new mag. With this gadget, the empty mag is dropped with the trigger finger like an AR, while the left hand inserts a new mag.

I installed one on a guy's SLR95 and it works great.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 8:00:26 PM EDT
[#16]
You can just pop that ACOG in the mail to me buddy, I'll even pay you for the shipping!
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 4:55:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Rich314! The 1st man with a Thousand Posts!
I was wondering where ya been.

How come you don't like the Hogue free-floating forend?

(I need an excuse to add an item to my "useless items" box and get a new toy...)
View Quote

Been hanging at TGN`s AK47forums.net and AK47.net. Other forums here.
Nice to be remembered though[:)]

Hogue`s tube is good.
It needs a sling attachment so you dont use the barrell for torquing down on the sling.
easily added
After 60 rounds at a fairly quick pace, the tube heats up very hot, too hot.
open front end and many holes in the rear do not help dissapate heat. Some of the DCM legal freefloat tubes have heat shields in them and the sling problem addressed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``
Imbroglio_ I say it`s junk from an end user point of view not if it fits on said rifle.
I dont have time to go into specifics right now but it looks like your mag would not drop free if the lever is pressed, like my SLR95. and since you need to use the support hand to get the empty out any way then the meaty part of the thumb is readily positioned for working the lever, not the edge/tip of your index pushed forward.
Not to mention that long pos hanging down ready to snag on equipment, weeds, (ever been around camo netting?)m and wings too??????
Of course the Bumpin crowd would be shyte outa luck. Better have a good grip while F/A too.
Gloves????????????????better have lots of replacement mags.
Imbro I could go on but I feel like you never answer a direct question with a direct answer. Nothing personal.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 5:58:04 AM EDT
[#18]
[left]id say the tac trigger is a pieace of junk! i never did get in to accerssoies. i bought a scope mount for a rem 870 that i feel was junk. all my rifles are virtually the same config when i bought them.[/left]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top