Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2001 3:09:43 PM EDT
hello.  I am thinking about buying a benelli shotgun.  However, i dont know anything about them.  I like the pistol grip type.  Also, i have heard that there is a preban type.  Could anyone please give me some "general" information about benelli shotguns.  Thanks

America:  LAND OF THE FREE...HOME OF THE BRAVE!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 3:14:04 PM EDT
[#1]
What separates the Benellis from other shotguns is the method of operation. Most others are gas operated, the Benellis are inertia(recoil) operated, quaranteeing reliable working all the time. They have spacers in the buttstock to fit the gun for users with different physical features. They also have [b]5[/b] year quarantee. There is a wide variety of models for one to choose from.

Price is higher than on other makes of shotguns, put the quality is worth the extra $$$.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 3:19:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Tom knapp uses them. I think that's a good recommendation.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 3:21:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Benelli makes THE best tactical shotguns.  I can try to help you on their tactical shotguns.

Model = M1 S90
Semi-auto, 12 gauge, with a pistol grip or straight stock, five shot tube.  If you get a pre-ban, you can put a shot-tube extension on it, and keep the pistol grip.  If you have a post-ban, you can have either the pistol grip or the shot-tube extension, but not both at the same time.  I know you can get rifle sights or ghost ring sights.

Model - M3
Same as above except that you can operate this weapon in pump mode, or semi-auto.  Very sweet.

Check auctionarms.com, gunbroker.com, or gunsamerica.com for market prices.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 3:23:56 PM EDT
[#4]
About Tom Knapp, he visits Finland for a large wilderness/gun exhibition and we had some Benellis on loan from the importer for our stand in the smaller show held in the year between the bigger one. One M1 box was marked Tom Knapp, it was one of the shotguns he used here.

My boss and i shot with it at our indoor range trying to see who could get faster strings with it. We both got .18 seconds, we shot in 3 shot strings.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 6:48:18 PM EDT
[#5]
benelli = god

for what you are talking, you have 3 options. a pre ban pistol grip super90. this will have the pistol grip, and a extended mag. this will be more than the other 2. the next is a post ban pistol grip s90. this is like above, but your restricted to a 5 rd mag. lastly, a post ban s90. hi cap mag, but no pistol grip. all great guns, i will own each some day.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#6]
The only negative thing is that they will not cycle the Federal Tactical(lighter recoiling round)round reliably. And they will not cycle a breaching round at all. Other than that they are a fantastic gun. Lite and fast in more ways than one.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 9:06:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Is their a serial number list to check to see if the shotgun is an actual "preban" and not an illegalaly configured firearm?  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 9:11:08 PM EDT
[#8]
M1 Super 90 = THE BOMB!!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 9:20:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I own an M3...it is very nice...
I have a ghost ring with a tritium front sight on it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn! Somebody had to bring up Benelli shotguns! Now I want an M3 to go with my M1. Do I have a disease or something? I knew I was going to have to get one eventually, but now I want one sooner. Maybe one will find its way under the Christmas tree...
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 9:39:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Shooter,

I have a Beretta 1201FP3, a Benelli M3 Super 90, and had a post ban M1 Super 90.

Every one of them would cycle Federal Tactical Buck (I believe it was #4 buck) flawlessly.  I have tried mixing multiple different rounds in each--extra light target loads to high brass game loads to slugs (brenneke and sabot) to see if I could get them to mis-feed, but they just won't mis feed.  

I think a lot of the problem of the mis-feeding light loads reputation comes from people who hang all kinds of stuff on the gun--surefire, side saddle, etc and expect it to function the same way.  As a recoil operated gun, it needs to be fairly light to work.  

I have never used breaching loads, but hey, that's why they make the M 3 with a pump feature!! [}:D]

Orion, you will be doing yourself a great disfavor if you don't look at the Beretta 1201 series of shotguns.  The action is the Benelli action (identical to the M1's), but they generally run about $100-150 cheaper than the Benelli because they are not as well known.  

You can find pre-ban versions that are also cheaper than the comparable Benelli--my 1201 FP3 is a pre-ban, extended mag and pistol grip gun.  The only downside to the 1201 is that it doesn't have the same external cosmetics (plastic stock/foregrip dimensions) as the Benelli, so some accessories won't fit.

Link Posted: 9/22/2001 9:45:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Benelli=HK

enough said!
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 9:49:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Kinda surprising nobody has yet mentioned the M3 folder, preban of course.  I see them advertised once and awhile on subguns for around $1800 or so.  Have yet anykind of problems with different loads (slugs, buck and bird shot) with my M3.

[img]http://www.remtek.com/arms/hk/civ/benelli/m3s90.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 9:57:21 PM EDT
[#14]
SWEET!!!!  Out of my price range though....
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 9:58:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I've had 100 % reliability using slugs and shot in my M3.  Have never tried anything exotic like breaching rounds or non lethal ammo so can't comment on them.

Here's a link to the pre/post serial# listing.

http://home1.gte.net/bblakley/ban/#Benelli

Another great thing about the Benellis is that they will function with a round in the chamber and on the carrier.  This gives a pre ban capacity of 7+1+1.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 1:03:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The only negative thing is that they will not cycle the Federal Tactical(lighter recoiling round)round reliably.
View Quote

Ahhh, horseshit... Yours may not (and state that.) Mine will shoot the Federal 00 and 000 "Tactical Loads" without any sort of problem what so ever, same goes for the "Tactical" Federal slugs and the Remingtion "low recoil" stuff.
It ain't just mine... I have seen 5-6 LE purchase S-90 M-1's and they have worked with everything we put through them.

FWIW: The Beretta 1201 is the same gun, only slight differences.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 1:59:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Remember...SN# alone does not make for a pre ban M1S90. IT had to of been in assault weapon configuration(semi w/pistol grip and fixed 7rd tubve or the 3rd tube and 4rd extension) on the day of the '94 ban in order to be grand fathered.
Only way to be sure is to buy a pre ban NIB unit or used and call Benelli/HK to find out the configuration it left the factory in.
Some early M1S90 had a slick black finish, fixed 7rd tubes, and 19.75" bbls with no chokes. Later models had the 18" tactical bbl with internal threads for chokes and recoil reducers..
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 5:21:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 5:30:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Benneli is the best. Hands down, accept no alternatives!!

[beer]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 11:37:33 AM EDT
[#20]
They are damn good lookin shotguns.  Going to a gunshow next weekend.  Might find one there.  thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 1:16:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Man that preban folder looks sweet!!  I can't say much about the tacticals because I don't have one, but I waterfowl hunt with a superblackeagle.  That gun is awesome.....has never failed me in some very muddy and wet situations.  It will balk occasionally on very light target loads because of the inertia action, but that is no problem with me, as I shoot magnum loads.  All in all, I think they are the best shotgun made if you are willing to pay the extra $$$.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 2:06:06 PM EDT
[#22]
BOOO YAAAAH! Benelli=real gun. Who said Federal Tactical doesn't cycle it? Ya better tell my gun! It chews that stuff like its going out of style. My dad had some 2" Gamebore shells, guess what I tried to get my Benelli to do? Thats right you read TWO INCH! I tried to get my Benelli to jam! It laughed at me and said, "That all you got bohy!"

Not even a river will save a squirrels life when me and my brother are on scene.......

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/011/iP/E2/Ei/AH35568.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 2:32:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Guys; about the Benelli M3T folding stock model, if you look close enough you can spot a glimpse of a M3T in the top left corner here. Just some older weapons in the inventory.

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/027/H1/bE/JK/SO83874.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Ghost ring sites?  What are those?  Are they better sites or what?  Where can a person get parts and accessories for benelli shotguns?
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 8:09:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Tuuka - you SUCK! [:D]

Who owns the Wellcraft?  You guys in Finland seem to have WAY too much money....
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 1:44:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Gus, it belongs to my boss. And about the money issue, we just get a trunk full of them for the price of one M16A2 in the U.S Class3 market.

[:D]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 3:20:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Tuuka - I hope you didn't take offense to my choice of words. I've read your situation in other posts. The correct meaning of my usage of "you suck" is "you are very lucky to be in a position to be able to play with all those cool-assed toys!". Just wanted to make sure you knew that....[beer]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 7:15:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Can you bump fire a shotgun like say a AK?
[b]boonie[/b]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 7:16:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Several members are right about the tactical ammo. Because the Benelli is recoil operated weight is a factor. If you hang a light and a sidesaddle on the weapon it may not cycle reliably with tactical ammo. I talked with the reps. and they told me shoot about 500 rounds and then to try it with all the crap on it. I did , and it did. I've got 2 and am thinking about another.
  In reference to the Beretta, it's a great weapon, with the same action. It lacks the screw in chokes. Most of them have rifle sights instead of ghost rings. And a 5+1 capacity. The only thing that bothers me about them is the open choke. I like the ability to reach out a little further. CDNN has Berettas with tritium for 589.00. Gets a guy to thinking....err wishing.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 7:16:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Can you bump fire a shotgun, like say a AK?
[b]boonie[/b]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 7:16:24 AM EDT
[#31]
What about the NOVA?  Nobody has mentioned it... I have one, and although I don't shoot it much, I'm glad to have it.  I got it for just over $300.00 so for people that can't afford the M1 or M3... the NOVA seems to be a good choice for those economically challenged of us who still want Benelli quality...
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 7:37:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Nova's are awesome. A fraternity brother of mine had one. But I think they haven't been mentioned because this thread seems to be taking a semi auto stance.

As far as a benelli=HK thing,
you better check your facts you will find that Beretta OWNS benelli, and 1201fp's come from the same assembly line. And while not completely the same, are very, very close.
Bought a never fired in box 1201 for 499. best deal I've ever made.

-CK
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 8:14:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Gus, of course i know what you meant

Just like to tease you guys sometimes, just shoot me down when the piss in the head level gets too high. [:D] [:D]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 10:11:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Several members are right about the tactical ammo. Because the Benelli is recoil operated weight is a factor. If you hang a light and a sidesaddle on the weapon it may not cycle reliably with tactical ammo.
View Quote

This is what the gas operated M4 SUPER 90 was designed for!  

[url]http://www.benelliusa.com/m4_super90/index.htm[/url]

DAMN I want one of these.  They're still filling the US Marine's order, but I hear they could be available as early as Q1 2002.  [shotgun]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 11:14:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Santyth, you mean this little package of pure evil:

[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0PAAgVLgVg4uXXDqBHsM3TSUYhquK*fbVmETddGKHUVtjlwtFWDyd0dZYVIr4wQvomaXsFyHlADfaEdV2SWyfpEW7fYOQwGRi/hkben2.jpg[/img]

Belongs to a good friend, one of the 6 in Finland, five of the six have been sold by our dealership. The current info suggests that only 50 are in civilian hands.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 11:18:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Agh. you ARE a bastard, aren't you?  [moon]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 11:21:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Can you bump fire a shotgun, like say a AK?
[b]boonie[/b]
View Quote

...sure, once.  After that you'll have to have your hand surgically reattached.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 11:35:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Shooter,

I have a Beretta 1201FP3, a Benelli M3 Super 90, and had a post ban M1 Super 90.

Every one of them would cycle Federal Tactical Buck (I believe it was #4 buck) flawlessly.  I have tried mixing multiple different rounds in each--extra light target loads to high brass game loads to slugs (brenneke and sabot) to see if I could get them to mis-feed, but they just won't mis feed.  

I think a lot of the problem of the mis-feeding light loads reputation comes from people who hang all kinds of stuff on the gun--surefire, side saddle, etc and expect it to function the same way.  As a recoil operated gun, it needs to be fairly light to work.  

I have never used breaching loads, but hey, that's why they make the M 3 with a pump feature!! [}:D]

Orion, you will be doing yourself a great disfavor if you don't look at the Beretta 1201 series of shotguns.  The action is the Benelli action (identical to the M1's), but they generally run about $100-150 cheaper than the Benelli because they are not as well known.  

You can find pre-ban versions that are also cheaper than the comparable Benelli--my 1201 FP3 is a pre-ban, extended mag and pistol grip gun.  The only downside to the 1201 is that it doesn't have the same external cosmetics (plastic stock/foregrip dimensions) as the Benelli, so some accessories won't fit.

View Quote

I've successfully attached the Benelli version of the SideSaddle to my pre-ban 1201FPG3.  It runs straight along the left side of the trigger , but, does not interfere whatsoever with the function of the gun.  The difference in this area of the Benelli/Beretta is that the Beretta has a slight rise/scallop above the triggerguard.

SureFire makes a forend white light attachment for the Beretta 1200 series.

MMC makes an excellent Ghost Ring sight set for the Beretta.

My shotgun has a slightly modified Remington 870 heat resistant plastic heat shield attached.  I removed the rear sight and filled in the dovetail, drilled and tapped it to be able to screw on the heat shield.  I used a small piece of sheetmetal under the front for a spacer.  Looks and works fine.

Brownell's lists an extended bolt handle and an oversize safety button for the Beretta 1201.

With the addition of the forend, bolt handle and safety button, I'll have completed my "combat shotgun".

Take a look at the Beretta 1201.  In the serial #'s, look for this:
recent codes will indicate pre or post ban status.
BD='94; BC='93; BB='92; BA='91; AZ='90; AU='89; and so on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top