Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2001 8:27:22 AM EDT
When I was stationed at Ft. Carson back in 1997 I was a single E-5 and had to live in the barracks. One day I was picked to go to a meeting that the MPs were giving on firearm policies on post. They said that all personally owned firearms must be stored in the unit's arms room and not the barracks, understandable I wasn't worried I had my firearms stored at a friend’s house in Denver. Than they said that even if you live off post in your own house you must store your weapons in the arms room and ask permission from the CO to draw your own firearms,WTF. I explained to the E-7 giving the meeting that that policy violated the second amendment and was unfair. He replied that soldiers can not be trusted with their own firearms and x-soldiers are dangerous because they have training and are more likely to flip out and commit a mass shooting. I am glad I never told anybody about my firearms and that my ETA was a year later.
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 10:41:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Coax,

FWIW this is what the Reg says...  

The following POW (privately owned weapons) requirements are derived from AR 190-11, AR 190-13.

a.  Soldiers residing in non-govt quarters are not required to register their POWs with the PMO (Provost Marshalls Office)...or keep them in the Arms Room.

b.  Soldiers in quarters/barracks must register their POWs with the PMO within 3 days of arrival or purchase.

c.  Soldiers residing in quarters (not barracks) must have written permission from the Company CDR before storing weapons in quarters (on post housing).  If there is no written authorization, soldiers must store their POWs in the Arms Room.  Soldiers residing in the barracks must store their weapons in the Arms Room.

Implications of above:

a.  Soldiers can not store POWs in the barracks.

b.  Soldiers can not store POWs in a vehicle.

c.  Soldiers living in the barracks can not store a POW in government quarters or anywhere off post.

d.  Soldiers living in government quarters can not store a POW anywhere off post.

My guess is that the MP is confused...specifically when he said:

[b]"Than they said that even if you live off post in your own house you must store your weapons in the arms room"[/b]

...and he is definately confused/ignorant when he says:

[b]"He replied that soldiers can not be trusted with their own firearms and x-soldiers are dangerous because they have training and are more likely to flip out and commit a mass shooting."[/b]
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 11:26:17 AM EDT
[#2]
If the "ex-soldiers are dangerous" attitude is pervasive, then we're in worse shape than I thought.

[:\]
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 11:28:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I know you sign some rights away when you join, but can't own property off base?  WTF?  How can they control what you own off base?  What's next, if you live on base you can't own a car that's parked off base, or you can't own a home outside the military's jurisdiction? [:\]
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 1:03:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Tic,

There is really no way to track if a soldier who lives in the barracks has weapons off base.

I have not seen the above enforced, unless the soldier is a problem child who is constantly getting into trouble and has been involved with Domestic Violence...because now your talking about the Lautenberg Amendment.
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 1:19:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Like it or not upon enlisting in the military you have to realize you are giving up some of the vary rights you are swearing to uphold and defend.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top