Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2001 8:27:55 PM EDT
I heard on the radio today that Berkeley had banned its firefighters from flying the American flag.  The guys in CA (and everywhere else in the US) were flying US flags in support of the rescue efforts in NYC & DC and in memory of the dead and injured from 11 SEPT.  Supposedly Berkeley was worried that flying the American flag might offend some people.

Is this true?  Anyone have an e-mail or telephone number for the idiot who made this decision?  I'll willing to chip in $20 toward a (one-way) ticket for the idiot to Kabul, Afghanistan.

(Please accept my apologies if this topic has been beat to death and I just missed it.)

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 8:29:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Today, they said it was so the firefighters would not be the target of antiwar protesters.  What a laugh.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 8:47:58 PM EDT
[#2]
From the same place that boasts HO CHI MIHN PARK. And no I'm not joking. I say we create a Adolf Hitler Day Care Center and refuse to get rid of it on First Amendment grounds until Ho Chi Mihn Park is gone and the US flag is flying.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 8:49:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
From the same place that boasts HO CHI MIHN PARK. And no I'm not joking. I say we create a Adolf Hitler Day Care Center and refuse to get rid of it on First Amendment grounds until Ho Chi Mihn Park is gone and the US flag is flying.
View Quote

They really have a Ho Chi Minh park????????  This is totally whacked out.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 8:52:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I say we create a Adolf Hitler Day Care Center
View Quote

probably the funniest things I've read all day.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 9:48:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I say we create a Adolf Hitler Day Care Center
View Quote

probably the funniest things I've read all day.
View Quote

*Looking at crayon drawing*
Vat is zis?  You are suppozed to use brown for ze horse, Timmy, not pink.  Ze horse isn't pink, Timmy.  ZE HORSE ISN'T PINK!!!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 9:54:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

So, where is this "Ho Chi Mihn Park"?

Are you thinking of "Peoples Park"?

Alex
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 9:55:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I live in berkeley.  the deal was that there was an anti-war (read:pro-communism) rally w/ police, fire department, etc.  The firemen had big loosely attached flags on their fire engine.  They worried not about anti-war protestors stealing and burning the flags, but about firemen w/ fire axes going and kicking some ass.  As that would have caused a serious P.R. problem.  After the rally berkeley recinded the ban.

there you go,

alphabeta121
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 10:00:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I live in berkeley.  the deal was that there was an anti-war (read:pro-communism) rally w/ police, fire department, etc.  The firemen had big loosely attached flags on their fire engine.  They worried not about anti-war protestors stealing and burning the flags, but about firemen w/ fire axes going and kicking some ass.  As that would have caused a serious P.R. problem.  After the rally berkeley recinded the ban.

there you go,

alphabeta121
View Quote

Really?  Hell, they should put something like that on Pay-per-view and let the proceeds go to the victim of the WTC attack.  I pay good money to watch firemen axe the fuck out of some anti-war protesters.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 10:06:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Are you thinking if "Peoples Park"?

Alex
View Quote

Definitely NOT "Peoples Park." It is absolutely Ho Chi Mhin Park complete with a life size bronze statue. It is in California near the place that had the store owner who put a Communist Vietnimese flag in his shop window that caused all the trouble a couple years ago.

What is worse is it might actually be a State Park funded by tax payer dollars. Saw the whole thing on 20th Century with Mike Wallace. Couldn't believe what I was seeing.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 10:13:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you thinking if "Peoples Park"?

Alex
View Quote

Definitely NOT "Peoples Park." It is absolutely Ho Chi Mhin Park complete with a life size bronze statue. It is in California near the place that had the store owner who put a Communist Vietnimese flag in his shop window that caused all the trouble a couple years ago.

What is worse is it might actually be a State Park funded by tax payer dollars. Saw the whole thing on 20th Century with Mike Wallace. Couldn't believe what I was seeing.
View Quote

Ahh, okay, you're talking obout California as a whole and not Berkeley. I seem to remember something about the Vietnamese shopowner. It's a shame that we could waste our tax dollars on something like that.

Alex
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 10:25:28 PM EDT
[#11]
the veitmanese guy that stired up trouble with the ho chi ming pic and flag was in CONSERVATIVE orange county in a section called "little saigon", NOT in berkley
i dont know if there is a ho chi ming park or not in berkley, never heard of one anywhere in this state.

many vietmanese protested the ho chi min pic in the store, it was 1 guy VS hundreds of anti-commie vietmanese, the store went out of bizness a short time later
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 10:28:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
the veitmanese guy that stired up trouble with the ho chi ming pic and flag was in CONSERVATIVE orange county in a section called "little saigon", NOT in berkley
i dont know if there is a ho chi ming park or not in berkley, never heard of one anywhere in this state.

many vietmanese protested the ho chi min pic in the store, it was 1 guy VS hundreds of anti-commie vietmanese, the store went out of bizness a short time later
View Quote

Yeah, I saw that on the Mike Wallace show. The park is somewhere in California, not sure where. One would think EVERYONE would know about it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 10:29:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Really?  Hell, they should put something like that on Pay-per-view and let the proceeds go to the victim of the WTC attack.
View Quote

[size=4]Bwahahahahahahaha![/size=4]
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 10:38:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Is Berkley in Rep. Barbara Lee's district, along with Oakland?  Barbara Lee, the only US Representative to vote AGAINST giving President Bush support for military force.

Link Posted: 9/21/2001 10:39:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Yup, the only park in Berkeley I can think of is the People's Park. There is no Ho Chi Mihn Park there as far as I know. The People's Park is home to the homeless, drug users, and undercover cops.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 10:45:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yup, the only park in Berkeley I can think of is the People's Park. There is no Ho Chi Mihn Park there as far as I know. The People's Park is home to the homeless, drug users, and undercover cops.
View Quote

LOL, Having spent alot of my youth on Telegraph, I can vouch for that.[):)]

Alex
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 12:01:39 AM EDT
[#17]
alexanderredhook,

Turns out there is (was) a Ho Chi Mihn Park.

[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=54189[/url]

Me too, I spent the better years of my youth at Kip's, Triple Rock Brewery, Bison Brewery, and that little bar on Shattuck with antique furniture. Can't remember the name. Might have been Spat's.

Great party town for youngin's and not as far as SF.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 12:08:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
alexanderredhook,

Turns out there is (was) a Ho Chi Mihn Park.

[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=54189[/url]

Me too, I spent the better years of my youth at Kip's, Triple Rock Brewery, Bison Brewery, and that little bar on Shattuck with antique furniture. Can't remember the name. Might have been Spat's.

Great party town for youngin's and not as far as SF.
View Quote

Okay, I do know of Willard park, but I have never heard of it referred to as HO Chi Mihn Park. As I doubt the majority of Berkeley have heard of it by that name. Just don't give them any ideas or willard park will be known as Ho Chi Mihn park once again.
Spatz was the first bar that I ever went to.I believe that I was 17 at that time. They serve this cool drink in a beaker that is surrounded with dry ice.
Triple Rock is okay but their pork chops are damn dry.
Also, the Pyramid brewery is a cool place to go to.

Alex
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 12:31:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Is Berkley in Rep. Barbara Lee's district, along with Oakland?  Barbara Lee, the only US Representative to vote AGAINST giving President Bush support for military force.

View Quote

Yep. One and the same.

And the news report I saw interviewed the mayor of Berkeley. She was pretty pissed off. She didn't make this decision, the chief did (according to her).

I think that anywhere else he would have been fired.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 1:40:45 AM EDT
[#20]
alexanderredhook, yup, I remember that thing with the dry ice. ha ha Haven't been there since the mid-80's though.

Are you saying you used to eat at those breweries? I didn't even know they served food! :) Back in those days our main goal was to catch a buzz and check out the women on Telegraph. If things got dull we'd go up to Fish Ranch with a case of two of beer and try to scam some women up there. Finish off the night with a greased yeast sheet from Blondie's.

I heard Pyramid was cool. Haven't been there yet since I'm basically past the age of bars and breweries, plus the wife doesn't drink so I'd be pounding beers solo.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 1:52:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Seems like all the breweries serve food these days. Grizzly Peak was where we all used to go. There is this one spot off of Skyline where  you can park and then go and sit on some rocks that oversee most all of the bay area.That was our favorite spot back in the day.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 2:16:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Seems like all the breweries serve food these days. Grizzly Peak was where we all used to go. There is this one spot off of Skyline where  you can park and then go and sit on some rocks that oversee most all of the bay area.That was our favorite spot back in the day.
View Quote

I know that place on Skyline quite well. If you climb on the rock and look down during the day, you'll see perhaps 100,000 broken beer bottles at the base of it. I'd hate to get drunk and fall off that thing. Ouch!
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 2:23:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Yep, you know exactly where I'm talking about. I was always paranoid about falling of off that damn rock. Especially when we were loaded.

Alex
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 10:55:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 11:21:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

NO WAY would there be a Ho Chi Minh Park in Westminster, aka "Little Saigon." The Vietnamese-Americans there wouldn't stand for it. They absolutely HATE Ho Chi Minh and communism and what they did to their home country. They almost lynched the video store owner who had a picture of Ho Chi Minh in his window and there was a police presence there for weeks afterward...
View Quote

I worked on Bob Dornan's (aka B1 Bob for his support of funding the B1 bomber) re-election campaign a few years ago, which is now Loretta Sanchez's district, and I had an oppurtunity to meet some of those Viet Namese people, they supported Bob to the hilt.  I was really blown away.  I have never seen such a thing among asian electorates.  But unfortunately those people were out voted by the other people in his district including the conservatives.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 11:03:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Keep America beautiful,bomb the Peoples Republic of Berkely!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top