Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2001 1:35:22 PM EDT
[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20010921/capt.1001090776pakistan_attacks_kar110.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 1:47:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 2:04:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Elite has nothing to do with it - every able bodied male (and I suspect the females, too) in Afghanistan will be dangerous, and will kill you without a second thought.
View Quote

Very true.  Fortunately, the dragon has a very short tail.  We have to use that weakness to defeat them.  Also, we will have to adapt to their type of fighting.  

Eddie

Link Posted: 9/21/2001 2:21:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The Afghan "Army" is ~40000 soldiers - the country's population is ~25 million.
View Quote

Wow, I had no idea it was so populous.  It is apparently about the same size as Texas.

This is not going to be any Grenada.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 2:27:53 PM EDT
[#4]
If that was a american boy, you would have every figgin anti up in arms.  
IF the kids are willing to fight, this is going to be a long battle.
If this homeland security thing starts acting up, the war will be lost, cause the gunowners will startup too.
c-rock
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 2:31:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is a comparison of the US v. Afghanistan:

Population:  275 million v. 25 million
GDP:  $9,255 bilion v. $21 billion
Manpower available for military service:  70 million v. 6 million.

Cold comfort, as Vietnam was probably even more lopsided.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 2:36:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Imposter, think of country of Afghanistan as having the same population as Mexico City.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Just a slightly different perspective:

[url]dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010920/wl/attack_afghan_crime_dc_1.html[/url]

The 'taliban elite', the ones with the guns, are turning on the citizens, raiding houses.

Other afghanis are running for the border.

Taliban made the same move other tyranical governments do: They disarmed the citizenry to keep them in control.

So the taliban has weapons, but they don't dare let the civies have them because of their fear of reprisal. Some of the taliban are going into 'looting' mode. Those that can are getting out of dodge. Plus there's the opposition force that's fighting the taliban.

I'm not saying it's going to be easy, but if we go into afghanistan, it's not going to be like it was with the russians. There's no superpower backing them up. They're not fighting for their homeland like they did with russia, they're going to be fighting for their tyrants. Some of them don't like their tyrants.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 2:51:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I do not see any reason to occupy Afghanistan.  Why would we want to hold it?  Just go in, do what needs to be done and get out.  That is a very big difference from what the Soviets were doing.  They wanted to conquor and control the entire country.  We just want to bust up bin Laden and friends and put them out of action for good.  After that we have little interest in Afghanistan.  They already have enough problems to keep themselves busy for a very long time.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Is that an H&K ? WTF are Afghanis doing with Expensive European Guns ? I thought they only used Cheapo AKs.

As for Vietnam the U.S. had a 20:1 Kill Ratio and still lost. In Aghanistan Russia had a 60:1 Kill Ratio. How many people you kill doesn't count when they keep coming at you. It only counts when you kill 'em all. That means 6 Million Aghanis:100,000 Americans if Russia's Average Holds true. If America's holds true we are looking at 300,000 American KIAs.

The only way to help is to Nuke Kabul and any other cities that have large populations in order to prevent uneccessary loss of American Lives.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 3:02:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 3:13:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Look at the kids armpit. It looks like someone's fingers there. I believe some is holding the kid up.

Possibly the father, proping up his kid to like a soldier.

Kid probably doesn't even know what's going on.

*I thought they couldn't afford HK's?*
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 3:33:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Pakistan make exact copies of the G3 and MP5 without a license.I used to buy Paki parts and mags as spares when I was still under the mistaken impression that HKs were worth a crap.

SOPMODM4A3
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 3:36:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks like a 93 to me.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 4:02:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Looks like a 93 to me.
View Quote

Don't think so, look at the mag.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#15]
The look on the kids face looks like he rather have a soccer ball.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 5:04:55 PM EDT
[#16]
We could soften up Afghanistan by parachuting in crack liberal defeatist busybodies.  We sure have a surplus around here.  

Also, we could undercut the Taliban's control by beaming in Gangstah Rap, Marilyn Manson, and Ricky Lake  from Air Force psychological operations planes.

Declare large areas "gun-free school zones".

Oh, sorry guys, this corrosive social manipulation is *only* being carried out against AMERICA.  We're doomed.

-------
from an Afghan folk song:
"Our country has been invaded by Khalquis and Russian hippies."
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 5:19:03 PM EDT
[#17]
It wont be long now!!!

They will pay soon...

tomcat [-=(_)=-]

Link Posted: 9/22/2001 12:22:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Is that an H&K ? WTF are Afghanis doing with Expensive European Guns ? I thought they only used Cheapo AKs.

The only way to help is to Nuke Kabul and any other cities that have large populations in order to prevent uneccessary loss of American Lives.
View Quote

You guys do recall that SW dude saying he had military contracts right?  Unlike Cuba, no trading with the enemy clause?

I still believe that nuking Afghanistan is a viable option that should be exercised.  The smart ones are already leaving the country before the SHTF.

Even the media outlets want nukes.  I saw them doing a story on the Trident earlier.
[img]http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/slbm/pg63l.jpg[/img]
Fire the Tridents and see who craws out in the next 1000 years.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 12:51:34 AM EDT
[#19]
He's gotta be a prince.  How do I know?  Because he isn't covered in shit.

Ahhhhhh, if you can't butcher a Monty Python quote in all of this, what the hells the point of fighting.

Again.... Nice weapon.  Can I call dibs on it?  Or shall I let our current generation of warriors have a crack at it?

Nothin' a .50 at 1000 yards couldn't take care of (or for that matter an mp5 at 10 ft).

Go get 'em boys!  And stay in one piece!
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 7:03:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

As for Vietnam the U.S. had a 20:1 Kill Ratio and still lost. In Aghanistan Russia had a 60:1 Kill Ratio. How many people you kill doesn't count when they keep coming at you. It only counts when you kill 'em all. That means 6 Million Aghanis:100,000 Americans if Russia's Average Holds true. If America's holds true we are looking at 300,000 American KIAs.

View Quote

We did not lose the military fight, we kicked their ass (Vietnam), we lost the political battle. There is a difference!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top