Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2001 11:12:02 AM EDT
[url]http://jobforms.faa.gov/civil_aviation_security.htm[/url]

Duties: Federal Air Marshals (FAMs) respond to criminal incidents aboard U.S. air carriers, as well as other in-flight emergencies. FAMs are authorized to carry firearms and make arrests, while preserving the safety of aircraft, crew, and passengers.

Link Posted: 9/21/2001 11:15:52 AM EDT
[#1]
AGE REQUIREMENTS: Candidates must be under 37 years of age...

A year too late and a dollar or two short.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 11:21:42 AM EDT
[#2]
THANKS!

Printing application as we speak...
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 11:30:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Those jobs are posted from just down the street from here. I've been offered several jobs from the FAA in OKC. Maybe I'll consider this one..

Ian

Link Posted: 9/21/2001 12:03:37 PM EDT
[#4]
will be the most boring job you could possibly imagine.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 12:19:44 PM EDT
[#5]
drjarhead, you think this job would be boring?!!

You're damn right!  

And this "knee-jerk" program will be terminated in a year or two!

DaMan
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 12:34:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And this "knee-jerk" program will be terminated in a year or two!
DaMan
View Quote

Could be a way into government law enforcement agency though....
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 12:42:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Well since I am unemployed, I think I will throw my name in the hat. Thanx for the link
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 12:56:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn, I need a good job. Lord knows my current one doesn't pay enough. I'm applying right now.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 12:56:39 PM EDT
[#9]
M4A3, I don't claim to have a "crystal ball" to foresee into the future.  But I see most of these "air marshall" positions being transitioned into security positions within a year or two at various government buildings and facilities at a lower GS rate.

That's just my opinion.

DaMan

Link Posted: 9/21/2001 1:08:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well since I am unemployed, I think I will throw my name in the hat. Thanx for the link
View Quote

A young guy with a clean record, advanced martial arts skills, and "good" shooting experience is probably the best type of candidate for this position...

Besides, think of all of those high altitude hookers you'll be rubbing, ummm, elbows with!
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Hmmm...

Just found out I'm getting the axe at the end of October. Maybe it's time for a career change.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#12]
How about 3.9/4. I have a clean record, am 19 y/o, have shot a hell of alot more ammo. than most 3rd world countries and consider myself to be a very good shot. As for Martial Arts, I was a Green Belt and almost had Brown.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 1:28:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 2:39:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Probably not, but I still think they should consider that I have 95 College Semester Hours, 50 of those before I graduated High School. I only need 25 more hours for a Liberal Arts Degree. I have met all the requirements and more for an AA Degree. I'll send it in anyways and see what they say.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 2:48:00 PM EDT
[#15]
CC, how in the world did you get 50 college hrs in high school?  Seems to me impossible, but I will give you the benefit of the doubt.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 3:19:27 PM EDT
[#16]
24 My Junior Year (Dual Enrollment) and [s]26[/s] 32 (Now that I actually list them) My Senior Year (Early Admission). That is 8 courses over 3 semesters (Fall/Spring/Summer) during my Junior year, and 8 courses my Senior year over 3 semesters. That makes 56 Hrs.

[u][b]Junior Year[/b][/u]

[u]Fall Term[/u]
American History I: 3 Hrs.
Economics I: 3 Hrs.

[u]Spring Term[/u]
American History II: 3 Hrs.
World Religions: 3 Hrs.

[u]Summer Term A[/u]
English Composition I: 3 Hrs.
Physical Geology: 3 Hrs.

[u]Summer Term B[/u]
American Literature: 3 Hrs.
Astronomy I: 3 Hrs.

[u][b]Senior Year[/b][/u]

[u]Fall Term[/u]
Calculus: 5 Hrs.
Chemistry: 4 Hrs.
Intro. To Eng: 2 Hrs.
English Composition 2: 3 Hrs.

[u]Spring Term[/u]
Anthropology: 3 Hrs.
Public Speaking: 3 Hrs.
American Federal Government: 3 Hrs.
Computer Concepts: 3 Hrs.

[u]Summer Term[/u]
Inroduction To The Internet: 3 Hrs.
World Literature: 3 Hrs.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 3:20:57 PM EDT
[#17]
since combat is out of the question for me, wonder what the chances of me getting a job with them is.

cc, i'll be glad to share some of my master's degree hours with ya if it will help out.  i'll just list my bachelor's degree and you can skim the master's hours.  how's that?  [:D]
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 3:32:39 PM EDT
[#18]
LOL, actually I justed wanted to get out of High School early (I hated the harrassment). So, I took classes every summer since I got into High School and every summer since I graduated. I haven't had a summer off in 6 years.

I probably won't even get a response, but no sense in not trying. I consider myself better off than the average Graduate with a [insert useless degree here] who knows how to enunciate "Do you want fries with that ?"

I've studied Social Sciences and Information Technology extensively so I have have some useful skills to offer.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 7:46:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Perfect job for me. I was a Loadie in the USMC and I still get a thrill every time I fly even after 3000+hrs as a crewman. Plus the local cops will stop harrassing me for carrying a gun.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 8:01:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
AGE REQUIREMENTS: Candidates must be under 37 years of age...

A year too late and a dollar or two short.
View Quote

You ever notice that the Feds are the only ones that can get away with age discrimination?
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#21]
ARlady apply for the job. This is not the military. A bandit would be looking for a male looking like an air Marshall. Can you imagine the bad feelings the bandit would have when he realized that he was collared by a female. The next worse thing would be when you told him the bullet was lubed with pork fat just before you let him hold the round.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 10:49:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Could be a way into government law enforcement agency though....
View Quote

...and into some Stewardess' skirt.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 11:41:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I can just see it now.....

LordTrader and Imbrog|io get employed as Sky Marshals and join the "Mile High Club" !
[:I]  [:I]  [:I]  [:I]  [:I]  [:I]

Link Posted: 9/22/2001 12:28:06 AM EDT
[#24]
A friend of mine applied last week.  He said it was nearly impossible to get a fax connection to their machine.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 2:29:00 AM EDT
[#25]
At the risk of being long-winded, let me add a few things to this discussion since some folks seem interested in this job.  My memory is a bit foggy; this is to the best of my recollection.

The original Sky Marshal program started in about 1970 and was run (not too well) by the Bureau of Customs.  It lasted maybe two or three years.  Either by accident or design, it appears to have been only an interim program to give the airports time to upgrade their security.  When the program was phased out, some former Sky Marshals got Special Agent jobs with Customs; many others just lost their jobs.  

Given recent events, I suspect this time the program is here to stay.  We all know now what can be done with a hijacked airliner.

I don’t know when they took over, but the FAA has been running a Sky Marshal program for several years.  It dealt with international flights.  The program was headed by a retired Marine Corps General and had very high standards for its employees.  I suspect those standards may have to be relaxed a bit.  Forgive the tease, but I’ll simply add that this job is much more sophisticated than you might think.

Most Federal LE agencies require new employees to complete a generic LE training program and an agency-specific training program.  (Something like Army Basic and AIT.)  Sky Marshals have to take the generic Criminal Investigator Training Program (CITP) given at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC) in addition to Sky Marshal training.  CITP is exactly the same training that other agencies such as Secret Service, Customs, IRS and (yes!) ATF attend.  Applicants for jobs in these other agencies have a leg up if they’ve already completed CITP since the agency doesn’t have to pay to send them through it.

FLETC’s main training center is in Brunswick, GA, where, in my experience, even the butterflies bite!  (The convenience store sells a bumper sticker which says “Happiness is FLETC in your rear view mirror”.)  Their website is [url]www.fletc.gov/[/url].

Salaries are listed as $35,100 to $80,800.  However, the position also gets 25% Availability Pay; which means marshals must be available to work 25% more than a 40 hour work week (comes out to 2 hours a day) for which they get paid an additional 25% of their salary.  In other words, if my math is correct, the pay range is actually $43,875 to $101,000.  There are also cost of living increases for employees in high cost areas (New York, San Francisco, Washington, DC, etc.)

This job has law enforcement retirement.  The age limit is 37 since federal law requires employees with law enforcement retirement to retire by age 57 and employees must have 20 years on the job to retire.  (Note that some federal LE jobs don’t have LE retirement and thus don’t have this maximum age.  These are mostly security guard type jobs.)

Typically, at least, Sky Marshals work in teams.  Obviously if only one marshal was aboard, one hijacker could create a diversion to force the marshal to identify him or herself, then other hijackers would take out the marshal.

In the past, LEO’s on aircraft and the aircrews often did not get along well.  Recent events may change this.

Hopefully this makes things a little clearer for those interested in the job.  (Also, hopefully I haven’t misrepresented anything!)
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 3:48:22 AM EDT
[#26]
It's going to be a very long line guys. A very close friend told me that almost the entire border patrol are going after those positions. Life on the west border sucks so bad. He had his app in weeks ago and said they got hit with around 10,000 applications.
He's been on the Mexican border for seven years and he reports that the illegals are just pouring over his sector. They're nailing them but they haven't seen so much activity in a long time.
They mess with the illegals telling them how grateful the boarder patrol is that they came across the border to join our Army and fight in Pakiland! He told me you should see the look on there faces when they show them a map on where they are going...lol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top