Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2001 9:36:09 PM EDT
I have a unique opportunity to purchase some police trade-in SW 5906 & 5946 pistols for a RIDICULOUSLY (sp) low price, a price I will not even mention.

My question is what can anyone tell me about these particular models (SDAO?,size, quirks)and the differences between the two.

I know the force that these came from, and I KNOW that there is not a one of them that has more than 500 rds through them.

I may buy 3

Ed
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 9:47:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 5904 and love it. I'm not a 9mm person and had heard a lot of bad reviews of Smith auto's so I was skeptical when I got it. But now I could not be happier.
It is a double stack, 15 round magazine, with a decocker. (The only part I do not like.) They do have a magazine disconnect. Magazines can be had from CDNN Investments for 30 bucks a pop.
I've ran all kinds of garbage ammo through mine and, after a couple thousand rounds have yet to have a single malfunction.

You know if this is such a great deal you could let some of your buddies in on it. My Email is listed in my profile.[;)][;)][;)]
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 10:11:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a 5904 and I liked it. I traded it for a Glock 22 with 3 15 rounds mags. All in all I liked it. I regret getting rid of it. Just thought it would be cool to get a Glock.

Six
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 10:14:52 PM EDT
[#3]
What are the differences between the 2 models & are they s-dao, dao,?

Ed
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 10:32:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry about that.
The 5906 is a single action/double action. As I stated above it has a decocker and therefore can not be carried cocked and locked. Your first shot is double action and then you go single from there.
I'm not familiar with the 5946.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 10:33:31 PM EDT
[#5]
The 5906 has a double action/single action trigger mechanism with a decocker.  The 5946 is double action only.  Both are full size S&W stainless semi’s.  I think both have steel frames, which makes them pretty heavy.  

They are both decent handguns, but not in the same league as a Sig or Beretta.

My biggest complaint about S&W semi’s is that they break drawbars with some frequency.  They can also be a little tricky to disassemble.

Hopefully you can get some hi-cap magazines in the deal.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 10:50:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 4506 and once tried a 5946.  They rocked.  A really cool thing about the 5946 is that the hammer falls to half-cock when the slide goes into battery, like Glocks and HKs.  So, when the trigger is pulled after the slide is cycled it feels VERY light.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 4:09:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a 5906. It shoots fine, DA pull is off.

I think that the 5946 is the DA-SA version with an alloy frame. The alloy doesn't hols up to abuse very well and gets pretty ugly looking after awhile (like police duty carry).

The 5943 is DAO, alloy frame.

SW DAO bites, in my experience. I was issued and trained on the 5943. With sufficient practice, it was reliable and I shot in the 90th percentile on qualification courses. The trigger was so awful though, that since we were allowed to buy and carry the 5906, I did.

The 5943 stayed in my locker at work until I went to a better Department.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top