Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2001 9:25:09 PM EDT
I bought a brand new SEADOO and while the guy was loading it onto my trailer took huge gouges out of the gel coat.  There is one spot on the tail where you can see the fiberglass.  The salemans was trying to tell me they would fix it and it would be good as new. I want a new boat but he is telling me he doesnt have anymore. I cant believe that it will look good if they fix it.  Isnt the gel coat in the mold before the glass is laid?  Also wont the new coat flake off? or turn color eventually?  I didnt take delivery so I have afew options but I already paid in full.  Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 10:02:05 PM EDT
[#1]
btt
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 11:12:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm pretty sure the gel coat is sprayed on after the boat comes out of the mold.

Why don't you give West Marine a call (number should be at their web site www.westmarine.com) and ask to speak with someone that's familiar with their boat repair chemicals? They publish several pamphlets describing their own West System coatings, and also carry other brands.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 11:28:26 PM EDT
[#3]
You don't want to put it in the water with the glass exposed, obviously. However, it is common practice to do gel coat repairs on boats. A pro can make it invisible and insignificant. When they're done, if you can see the repair, reject it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 11:52:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I disagree.

You paid for a new boat in new condition. They should either give you a new boat in new condition, or give you your money back.

You could also negotiate a discount if you're willing to accept a damaged, repaired boat.

And yes, the gelcoat is sprayed into the mold before laying the fiberglass for the boat -- at least it is on the size of boat that I'm used to.  (A "Seadoo" is a jet-ski, right?  Should be the same method.)  It's possible to do a repair job, but it's never as good.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top