User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2001 9:04:18 PM EDT
"Forget what I said earlier about defending the Constitution."
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 12:03:36 AM EDT
[#1]
He really said that?

Link Posted: 9/20/2001 12:13:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I heard mentioned that they want computer security companies to provide back doors to their encryption software products. But I thought they already did that in 1996 or 1997?
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 1:06:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope, they have not, but it was proposed back then.  Some have argued that when NAI purchased PGP (pretty good privacy) it was then backdoored, but no one has ever proven it.  However, some foreign math student did find a pretty big problem with every version made since NAI bought it where you could determine the private key.

Personally, I'm ok with back-doored commercial producst, because I will not be using them.  What I'm worried about is automatic guilt for using non-backdoored encryption software.

God Bless Texas
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top