Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2001 4:17:15 PM EDT
I did a search on Ruger 10/22 and the stuff I was reading was mixed.  A lot of people say they love the one they have but then they talk about how many jamming problems they've had and having to shoot all sorts of ammo to figure out which one will not make it jam.

Is this all really true?  I took a look at one at the store today and really liked it, but I'd hate to spend money on something that jammed all the time or even some of the time.  

Are there any other .22 semi autos out there that would be good ?  How are Marlins ?

Went to rimfirecentral.com  but their message board is the kind that is kind of hard to follow.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 4:20:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell NO!

Ruger 10/22 is a great little rifle. Yes, they can sometime have a little problem with a certain ammo but that is common with every 22 rimfire gun.  Personally I never heard anybody having problem with CCI Minimag Solid ammo.

Every rifle collection should have one... or two [:D]    
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 4:23:59 PM EDT
[#2]
My 10/22 has had a steady diet of the cheapest ammo money can buy and I dont think it has ever jammed.  that is in 1000 rds or so.

Link Posted: 9/19/2001 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#3]
The Ruger 10/22 is a must for any collection and probably has as many accessories as an AR-15/M-16.
Extremely fun and very cost efficient.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#4]
The Ruger 10/22 is a fine .22 rifle.  I have the stainless version with the wood stock and have had no problems whatsoever.  Mounted a cheapo scope on it and have put about 5000 rds through it with only minimal jams, say 10 max.  I have numerous 50 rd mags and have also never had a problem.  So dont know what to say about everyone else other then mine has functioned not only flawlessly but damn accurate for a rifle that only costs 200 bucks.

Link Posted: 9/19/2001 4:30:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Regarding the negative comments, were these MODIFIED 10/22s?  I wish I could spend 1.29 on 2.5 boxes of rifle ammo to see how well it shot in my centerfire rifles.
Which one'd you look at?  If it had the barrel band, I believe you are stuck with the factory stock unless you are going to change the barrel (See 1st sentence).
Try this site.  These guys are really into their 22s
[url]http://talk.shooters.com/room_51/topics.cfm[/url]

I think you'll have a fine functioning semi-auto if you just leave it the hell alone, don't turn it into a space gun and just shoot it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 4:33:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I own three.  One is basic standard, one stainless with thin barrel and a "T" model.  Got my first one over fifteen years ago (to best of my failing memory).  It's been my experience that jamming is caused by [b]NOT CLEANING THE RIFLE[/b] well enough.  This device has a small mechanism with small tolerances that are more sensitive to grime and unburned powder.

Sure, I've used crappy ammo and had some less than favorable instances but I expected it and was prepared.  When I went back to ammo with names I could pronounce [b]AND CLEANED THE RIFLE[/b] the troubles went away.  Besides, I run a brick or two through mine before it coughs.  If you shoved 500 or more of those darn little brass thingies up my butt I wouldn't be working to well either!

IMHO that is....
[shock]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#8]
whatever you do DO NOT buy the Ruger 10 22! These things suck!

[img]http://members.home.net/martinmac/guns/10_22[/img]

Ever since I bought this thing its done nothing but cost me money... it's so fun to shoot I cant stop. I have thousands of rounds through mine. You will never regret buying one.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 4:36:33 PM EDT
[#9]
This is the one I have right now (have had several):

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/030/YX/Ci/AR/YM49070.jpg[/img]

It's the 10/22T, meaning "target" model. It came with the bull barrel and laminated stock from the factory. It also has a better trigger than the standard 10/22. It has digested at least 2500 rounds failure free and with only minimal cleaning. It has been a tackdriver from day one.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 4:37:27 PM EDT
[#10]
they are friggin great even if they are a ruger. I gave my little tube feed marlin that i've had since I was little, to my brother a few years back. been missing cheap .22 fun.
So I bought a stainless on national UN buy a gun day this year  But damn I really want some mags, my friend let me borrow a 50rd a couple times and it was just too friggin cool even if it did take 10 minutes to load, to just rip em off as fast as ya can. but for a hundred bucks ahhh!! and all .22s jam.

I might just pull it and some colibri ammo out tonight and shoot at phone book targets or something (a nra first freedom magazine would probably stop em fine, and thats better than reading it but ya know for safetys sake when your shooting inside and all [:D])
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 4:41:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Man, I can't imagine not owning one. I love mine, and have put thousands of round ammo through it. The only trouble I've had is with one brand of ammo. I can't remember the brand name, but it's one of the cheapo brands with the strange shaped bullets. It wouldn't cycle right.

But it was only that one brand of ammo, every other cheap brand works fine. And I almost never clean mine. It gets dirty enough you'd think it should jam, and it doesn't.

Bottom line, buy one. You won't regret it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I love mine too. I shoot the cheap ammo. I do get jams, but I never clean it. So I expect it to jam on me.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 4:51:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Mine was a jam-o-matic out of the box.

I used all of the cheap ammo I could, everything jammed.(It shot fine with mini mags)
Sent it back to the factory. Didn't help.

I started using Remington thunderbolts. They work fine, no jams.
I have at least 5k through mine and it still jams whenever I use federal or winchester.

I am thinking about buying another one. Some run fine on shit ammo. Some are picky. I would still recommend getting one.    
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 5:17:14 PM EDT
[#14]
If you already have an AR, get a .22 conversion kit for it. Armalite sells some www.armalite.com, as do others. There are even dedicated .22 uppers for them.

Now... to get the conversion kit- and some sub-sonic .22 Colibri rounds to take care of the pesky rodents out back here in sub-division land...>:^D
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 5:38:04 PM EDT
[#15]
rugers are the best .22 money can buy. most of the .22 ammo for sale cheap at wally world is not very good, so expect a few jams and misfires. it is allmost allways not the guns fault.
willy
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 5:48:39 PM EDT
[#16]
It is #2 in my list of ultimate fun guns, the AR is #1 of course...

[heavy]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 5:49:21 PM EDT
[#17]
The Ruger 10/22 is the BEST .22 rifle you can buy!!!!!!!
I have shot tens of thousands of rounds through my 10/22.
They are grea, if people are having problems then its with crappy magazines or from shooting too many waxed .22s and NEVER cleaning the gun.
My ammo waster...
[img]http://members.aol.com/bishop042/plinker.jpg[/img]

BISHOP
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I also have a 10/22T and a Mark II pistol.  Both are 1st rate and very accurate (my official gopher guns).  I traded off an old beater .45 in college on the pistol because I needed less expensive days at the range.  The only problem I've ever had with a Ruger .22 was a single six that I couldn't compensate enough with the rear sight to shoot accurately.  The only advice I can give you is to buy new; first because they're not that expensive (and Ruger has an excellect warranty service), and second because most people don't part with them unless something is wrong.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 8:12:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I had some jamming problems with mine for the first 500 rounds.  After that it was go time.  I honestly believe it would feed rocks.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#20]
i love my "evil" 10/22 it will eat any ammo i put thru it. when it starts jamming i break out the bore snake and wala it works agien
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Had problems with jamming on my ancient 10/22 of dubious origin but fixed them with a new Volquartsen recoil spring assembly and a stock extractor and extractor spring.  Now the only thing it won't feed reliably is one brand and type of large hollowpoint - I've tried dozens of other loads and it functions 100% with 'em.  It's a blast unloading those 50 round mags in a hurry. [heavy]

Trigger weight is something you might want to check - mine was 12 pounds.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 10:51:01 PM EDT
[#22]
The 10/22 is simply the best all around .22 you can buy.  

Are you sure you didn't just start this thread to give us something to unite us?
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 10:57:23 PM EDT
[#23]
This is not the time nor the place to be spreading your hatred and conspiracy theories about 10/22's. All you are doing is supplying aid and comfort to the enemy.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 11:01:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Here's a pic of 3 of mine:
[img]http://www.rimfirecentral.com/fgallery/fpics/14.jpg[/img]
Actually I just sold the one on the left[:(], but I replaced it last week with another one.[:D]

The 10/22 is by far my favorite rimfire rifle.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 4:37:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 6:46:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Mine does not like overly lubricated shells, but it works flawlessly with 95% of the ammo I have tried.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 7:01:40 AM EDT
[#27]
I have yet to find any .22 LR ammo that mine WOULDN'T feed.

It even likes the cheapass grubby Russian "Junior" steel-cased ammo that JAMS LIKE A SONOFABITCH in almost every other weapon I've tried it in.

If I let my 10/22 get really, REALLY dirty it might jam once in a while, but that's happened maybe 4 or 5 times out of 10s of thousands of rounds.

99% of the failures I've experienced with it have been plain old dud rimfire rounds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top